RESOLVED Is motor whine normal?

Gil

Cars
Lucid Air
Brand new owner here. I hear a noticeable howl or whine, rising and falling in pitch as the motor spins up or down. It’s not very loud, but I wonder if it’s normal or an indication of a problem. I never heard anything like it in my Tesla Model S. Am I alone?

Brand new owner here. I hear a noticeable howl or whine, rising and falling in pitch as the motor spins up or down. It’s not very loud, but I wonder if it’s normal or an indication of a problem. I never heard anything like it in my Tesla Model S. Am I alone?
It is normal. I actually kind of like it.

It's louder that I think it should be. EQS and Model X are much quieter.

The level of motor whine has been mentioned in different car reviews. If I recall correctly LUCID has responded that it will be addressed the topic via OTA update. I don’t know how they will do it with an OTA update but I look forward to it. I definitely land on the side of “luxury = silence” when driving. :)

The level of motor whine has been mentioned in different car reviews. If I recall correctly LUCID has responded that it will be addressed the topic via OTA update. I don’t know how they will do it with an OTA update but I look forward to it. I definitely land on the side of “luxury = silence” when driving. :)
Yes the whine is “normal”. It’s always there. It is also extremely noise in general if you drive on any rough roads due to all that glass around. I have a real bad patch along Highway 35 and I thought there was a serious leak around the back windows. I think it is much noisier that a car that has a regular roof during highway driving but is very quiet in local driving.

Yes, somewhat annoying.

Gave a ride to someone who also found it annoying. The whole George Jetson thing is cool initially but gets old and annoying very fast.

can you link to where you read that?

Should know this answer but who and how do you contact someone up the food chain if your DA is not answering calls.

I like it 🤷‍♂️

But I also like the roar of a twin turbo v10 (even though I’m all-in on EVs, I enjoyed that for many years, heh), so perhaps I’m not the best one to ask 😂

Do you like the sound of the dental drill too? 🤣
God no. I used to lease an office behind two dentists and it took me a year to figure out why I was always anxious. Whenever the window was open and we could hear that thing, my body was on *high alert* haha

God no. I used to lease an office behind two dentists and it took me a year to figure out why I was always anxious. Whenever the window was open and we could hear that thing, my body was on *high alert* haha
if you get anxious again, it is because you drove your car too long, that noise will get to you 😜

Why actually yes since it’s the main source of my income. Maybe that’s why I’m not bothered by the motor whine. In all seriousness I suppose a noise canceling program piped through the sound system could do away with this, probably easier said than done

Love that sound. In fact, 27 years of that sound is paying for my GT (and everything else in my life).

It's louder that I think it should be. EQS and Model X are much quieter.
You don't hear that in Model X because it gets a lot of noise from outside into the cabin while AGT does not get outside noise in the cabin.

Back