RESOLVED Is motor whine normal?

I love the sound. Like a jet taxiing. It’s authentic not synthesized. After years with Porsche sports exhaust, the most satisfying of which was my NA 2016 GTS, I am quite happy with no spool-up and overrun. No drama and amazing performance.

When I test drove the car one of my first impressions was the whine was surprisingly loud. After 6 months of driving the GT and the entertainment system being reliable I can’t say that I ever hear the whine now.
Agreed. Don't really notice it any longer.

All jokes aside, i think that sound is a real signature of the Lucid's heritage.
I'd be very upset if they removed it.

The sound gives me feedback on what the car is doing and driving on. I love it when I hear the motor pitch change as the car adjust its power output over different road conditions like bumps or a slippery gravel patch.

I don't drive the lucid much on highways but took it out on highway after long There was a humming noise coming from the front today which caught my ear. Don't know if it was motor or tire. Around 70mph

Based on all the comments, it seems like the motor whine is normal, but has anyone experienced it getting louder over time? I am at 2K miles and it seems more prominent than when I first got it.

Based on all the comments, it seems like the motor whine is normal, but has anyone experienced it getting louder over time? I am at 2K miles and it seems more prominent than when I first got it.

No, for me it’s almost the opposite. I don’t even notice it anymore, but I have never found it intrusive.

No, for me it’s almost the opposite. I don’t even notice it anymore, but I have never found it intrusive.
Has not changed after ~15K miles. I mostly notice it after driving one of our other cars then getting back in the Lucid. My wife's AMG EQS has very little if any motor whine.

For all the ways I bash our 2018-build Tesla Model X, I have to say. It’s much quieter off from a standstill than my Lucid. Almost silent - up to about 15 mph. Then road noise starts kicking in.

I am confident that the motor whine is intentionally engineered. I think it sounds great on initial acceleration but I do not notice it at speed. The motor whine is authentic and a signature of the AGT experience. Unlike my 2016 Panamera V8 NA GTS with a sports exhaust, which conveyed the power of that car in an authoritative and sometimes raucous fashion, the AGT conveys a visceral sense of its enormous potential torque with no drama.

I can’t agree. I find the noise irritating even now. It’s an evident flaw. By definition it’s energy-inefficient.

I understand the mentality that leads people to disable mufflers because they like a big roar, but I don’t share it.

I can’t agree. I find the noise irritating even now. It’s an evident flaw. By definition it’s energy-inefficient.

I understand the mentality that leads people to disable mufflers because they like a big roar, but I don’t share it.
Here is the solution :)

Hmmmmm, comparing the motor whine in a Lucid to disabling a muffler for a big roar is a bit of a stretch.😉😉I abhor load noises, unless it’s good music , and I find the motor whine very minimal.

Anyway, bummer that it bugs you . I understand that different things irk different folks.

Hmmmmm, comparing the motor whine in a Lucid to disabling a muffler for a big roar is a bit of a stretch.😉😉I abhor load noises, unless it’s good music , and I find the motor whine very minimal.

Anyway, bummer that it bugs you . I understand that different things irk different folks.
Same, pretty much in total. I actually like the motor whine, but I totally understand why someone wouldn’t.

But I’ve enjoyed the motor whine since my first experiencing it in the original Tesla roadster. That motor sound was the sample used for the Batmobile, and so I just feel like I’m driving the Batmobile every time I drive my Lucid. It’s great.

I am not sure yet what I think about the motor whine. To me, above 30 or so I only hear it when accelerating or regenerating. Staying at a constant speed is silent. No question it is louder than other electric cars including the Bolt EUV we have. But then again, the Bolt barely has a motor - haha. I will need a bit more time to see if it bothers me or not.

I wonder if the right hardware is already in the car such that Lucid could, if they chose, implement active noise cancellation to at least somewhat mitigate the whine.

That said... it usually doesn't bother me.

I’m in camp ‘love the whine’. For some reason, makes me feel like I’m driving something intentionally rather than being teleported as a passive passenger. However, if I were a passenger in the car, then I would probably prefer dead silence for a more luxurious experience. Contradictory perhaps 🤷🏼‍♂️

What is Lucid's "Official Position" on the whine?. It is clearly noticeable when compared to other high end EVs. I am o.k with it but I am wondering if one can have the option of removing/reducing it if one wonted to do so.

Back