RESOLVED Is motor whine normal?

What is Lucid's "Official Position" on the whine?. It is clearly noticeable when compared to other high end EVs. I am o.k with it but I am wondering if one can have the option of removing/reducing it if one wonted to do so.
Doubt it. If you trust Kyle Connor's report on it, the whine is a deliberate dedign choice because Lucid did not put dampers on the engine mounts. There is also no whine from the rear motor. Will be interesting to see if this whine is gone in RWD Pures.

Doubt it. If you trust Kyle Connor's report on it, the whine is a deliberate dedign choice because Lucid did not put dampers on the engine mounts. There is also no whine from the rear motor. Will be interesting to see if this whine is gone in RWD Pures.
If anyone recalls, I’ve been predicting for some time the RWD Pure will be the quietest of all the trims for this very reason. However it certainly didn‘t deter me from going with the AWD and free upgrades. :)

I’m crazy, but not that crazy.

I do enjoy Kyle's reports but do not buy the lack of dampers explanation. The noise tracks the rotation speed of the motor and gears and therefore highly unlikely it can be eliminated with motor mount dampers. The good news is that my car is approaching its 2 year anniversary and the noise has not increased. On the other hand, I have less than 10k miles on it and would love to hear from high mileage car owners.

I do enjoy Kyle's reports but do not buy the lack of dampers explanation. The noise tracks the rotation speed of the motor and gears and therefore highly unlikely it can be eliminated with motor mount dampers. The good news is that my car is approaching its 2 year anniversary and the noise has not increased. On the other hand, I have less than 10k miles on it and would love to hear from high mileage car owners.

18th month, 12k miles, same level of motor whine. I actually like the whine.

I’m driving a rented EV6 and it had “stylish” sound mode on and it was disturbing. I tried “cyber” mode and it sounded like a bubble about to pop lol.

I turned it off as quickly as I could and now it sounds like normal electronic motor whine and I love it.

Dunno, maybe it’s me.

There is a difference between a whine heard outside the car (commonly referred to as the blind-mans warning) and the whine heard on the inside of the car which increases in intensity as you start driving from a start. Hate the latter from day 1 as it sounds like a police siren and friends who I put in the back seat are always wondering what that is. Had 6 prior EVs and never had that and the closest I can come to remembering where I heard that is the alternator whine in one of the old clunker cars I used to drive in the 80s! I won't put lipstick on that pig IMHO :oops:

I like the whine, it’s physical feedback about your acceleration/deceleration and distinctive.

Love it or hate it, it was a conscious design decision. It's not a flaw; it's not a mistake. It's not a surprise to anyone at Lucid. And it's certainly not a signal of cost cutting or any sort of cheapness.

They thought it would be cool to hear the motor, and many of us agree.

To those who don't—sorry. Don't expect them to change it anytime soon. We'll see how it shakes out with Gravity. Maybe they will do something different on that model, given its target audience. But I would not be surprised if they didn't. It's almost part of the brand at this point.

Personally, I could go either way. Most of the time, I forget about it. I'm just happy to take "real" electric motor whine over any sort of pumped in "fake" sound effects. Particularly the ones on the Taycan for which you have to pay extra.

I love the sound. Like a jet taxiing. It’s authentic not synthesized. After years with Porsche sports exhaust, the most satisfying of which was my NA 2016 GTS, I am quite happy with no spool-up and overrun. No drama and amazing performance.
Exactly! To me it sounds like a jet once you get established in the approach and start adding power to control descent. A pleasant drone that keeps you paying attention.

I'd be EXTREMELY disappointed if Lucid took it away with the Sapphire edition.
Hopefully, not.

Love it or hate it, it was a conscious design decision. It's not a flaw; it's not a mistake. It's not a surprise to anyone at Lucid. And it's certainly not a signal of cost cutting or any sort of cheapness.

They thought it would be cool to hear the motor, and many of us agree.

To those who don't—sorry. Don't expect them to change it anytime soon. We'll see how it shakes out with Gravity. Maybe they will do something different on that model, given its target audience. But I would not be surprised if they didn't. It's almost part of the brand at this point.

Personally, I could go either way. Most of the time, I forget about it. I'm just happy to take "real" electric motor whine over any sort of pumped in "fake" sound effects. Particularly the ones on the Taycan for which you have to pay extra.
I know that you have 10x more posts than me and that you are a respected moderator but don't like your tone on this! Never mind that you are wrong, its the absolutist tone that is bothersome! It sends a chill to anyone (else) who wants to speak up. Maybe you're burning out, moderating all the chirping but you're starting to become more curt. That "sorry" was particularly disingenuous!

Oh, and back to you are wrong! It was one of the first objections that I had on 10/30/21! Noted it to Lucid within a week and they agreed that that internal whine was a flaw and they were trying to figure out how to dampen it. Maybe when they could not fix it they spun it to the rest as a design enhancement. Sorry to be the historian on this!

I know that you have 10x more posts than me and that you are a respected moderator but don't like your tone on this! Never mind that you are wrong, its the absolutist tone that is bothersome! It sends a chill to anyone (else) who wants to speak up. Maybe you're burning out, moderating all the chirping but you're starting to become more curt. That "sorry" was particularly disingenuous!

Oh, and back to you are wrong! It was one of the first objections that I had on 10/30/21! Noted it to Lucid within a week and they agreed that that internal whine was a flaw and they were trying to figure out how to dampen it. Maybe when they could not fix it they spun it to the rest as a design enhancement. Sorry to be the historian on this!
Everyone I've spoken to at Lucid, including Peter, seemed to think it added 'character' to the driving experience; I personally agree. But I've loved that sound ever since the Tesla Roadster's "whine" was sampled for the BatPod: https://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/15/the-dark-knights-batpod-is-driven-by-the-tesla-roadster/

I think @joec's point is valid; they aren't going to change it, certainly not on the current editions of the Air. It is too late. Is it possible they change it for future years? Maybe. But I'd honestly miss it if they did.

It's okay to have differing opinions!

Well I can’t blame any business for trying to spin a flaw as a feature. I never knew if it was intentional or not, or a defect, but I like it. In ICE cars of course you have the engine feedback while driving, but for people who are very prone to motion sickness (my wife), a very silent feeling free EV where you just float from one speed to another can make them sick. It may be why some automakers add artificial noises for acceleration.

When the Air was in development, there were prototypes. And we know several pre-production cars were made. In fact, I recall a video with Peter himself driving around New York, talking about how they were making final tweaks, and that this button or that one would need to be replaced, rethought, etc.

Presumably, in the hundreds, if not thousands, of hours Lucid engineers and other executives spent driving the car before they released it to all of us, one of those folks, if not Peter himself, noticed the motor whine. Heck, it’s the first thing 90% of us notice when we drive an Air for the first time.

So they very likely noticed it fairly early in development. And a decision was made they weren’t going to do anything to change it.

The alternatives are that a) no one noticed in all that drive time. And b) they felt they just didn’t have the engineering know how to change it.

Peter, who was lead on Model S, which doesn’t have the whine, just couldn’t figure out a way to dampen a motor sound? None of those wonderful audio engineers who designed the beautiful bespoke Dolby Atmos system could have lent a hand on acoustic muffling?

Or maybe they were too cheap to do anything about it? Also seems unlikely, given how many low-tolerance one-off parts went into the Air.

Seems more likely they felt the noise was something they were okay with, is all I’m saying.

Now after shipping, as they got complaints about it from some customers, did they try to do something about it in already shipped cars? Sounds like maybe from what you were told? Lucid reps have told us lots of things over the past few years. But short of doing something physical to all of our cars in an extremely expensive recall, it’s not clear what can be done. It’s not software. It’s the actual motor making noise.

And cars shipping now still have the noise years later.

I just find it hard to believe they didn’t consciously decide to leave it prior to shipping the car to customers. And they clearly haven’t considered it a big enough deal to change it for new cars. Which means someone at Lucid is good with it. It’s an intentional decision.

As I mentioned, I’m sort of ambivalent to it myself. If it went away tomorrow, I wouldn’t mind. Others genuinely love it.

I’m certainly not going to tell anyone they are Wrong! for not liking it. I’m just saying the chances they will do anything about it in our already shipped cars is next to zero.

I’m a pragmatist.

The Gravity, like I said, is another matter. Plenty of time to make that change before shipping. I’m genuinely curious if it will still whine like the Air or not.

Last edited:
Like it or not, and I’m ambivalent about it, I can’t see how prospective owners on a test drive wouldn’t have noticed it. I noticed it on both my test drives in two different trim levels. At that point you decide either I like it, don’t like it but can live with it, or simply don’t care one way or the other.

Yes, I’m sure there are owners out there that never took a test drive, but that’s something I understand less than the motor whine.

Like it or not, and I’m ambivalent about it, I can’t see how prospective owners on a test drive wouldn’t have noticed it. I noticed it on both my test drives in two different trim levels. At that point you decide either I like it, don’t like it but can live with it, or simply don’t care one way or the other.

Yes, I’m sure there are owners out there that never took a test drive, but that’s something I understand less than the motor whine.
Well, to be fair, I’m not sure Dream Edition customers had an opportunity to test drive before committing? Someone with a Dream would have to confirm that.

Well, to be fair, I’m not sure Dream Edition customers had an opportunity to test drive before committing? Someone with a Dream would have to confirm that.
I remember somebody talked to Peter at Monterey week(or was it goodwood?) and mentioned that this was the first car they had bought without test driving it. Then, the poster said he said "lets fix that," and invited him to a HQ test drive of his exact car spec.

You are correct as I recall reading about it, but personally I wouldn’t have taken that leap of faith when spending that much money. Hence my remark.

I favor the whine as I expressed above in previous posts with a comparison to sports exhausts of an especially effective one that grew tiresome. What I like about my AGT is that the whine conveys the power of the motors. I do not know if it is just the front motor that one hears or the rear or both, but the sound adds character to this otherwise low-drama beast of brilliant engineering. It is unlikely that Lucid engineers are or were unable to soften or eliminate the sound with different mounting hardware when one considers how thoughtful they were with designing a car that surpasses the driving experience of any other car that I have owned or driven. And they did all of this with a first model.

Back