RESOLVED Is motor whine normal?

I watched this Muro Live video on the Lucid rear drive motor and am speculating that having the deferential inside the motor and pre-reduction gear is the source of the whine.

I don't care for the motor whine but mostly notice it when I drive my wire's EQS, which doesn't have much if any.
Doesn't make sense that you only hear it in the front then

Doesn't make sense that you only hear it in the front then
If it's only the front, it surely must be a decision made purposefully.

My theory is that they wanted the front row people to hear the driving feedback, but the rear passengers should be in comfort. (no noise, or at least less)

The level of motor whine has been mentioned in different car reviews. If I recall correctly LUCID has responded that it will be addressed the topic via OTA update. I don’t know how they will do it with an OTA update but I look forward to it. I definitely land on the side of “luxury = silence” when driving. :)
Can’t wait, it is loud even to my deaf ears.

I have no opinion one way or another on it. That being said, I always tell my wife and others that it is like driving a ride at Disney with respect to the whine.

If it's only the front, it surely must be a decision made purposefully.

My theory is that they wanted the front row people to hear the driving feedback, but the rear passengers should be in comfort. (no noise, or at least less)
I don't think you should need to hear the whine to get driver feedback. A cad can be silent but also offer feedback to the driver.

They're definitely not mutually exclusive.

I have no opinion one way or another on it. That being said, I always tell my wife and others that it is like driving a ride at Disney with respect to the whine.
Yes. It reminds me more of a linear induction roller coaster than any other sound.

Model s electric motor sound... is that a v12??

Speaking of which, I believe the lucid has AM radio. Could anybody try and see if the AM radio will pick up the car's motor sounds? (caused by electric interference, this is why a lot of EVS dont have AM)

Model s electric motor sound... is that a v12??

Speaking of which, I believe the lucid has AM radio. Could anybody try and see if the AM radio will pick up the car's motor sounds? (caused by electric interference, this is why a lot of EVS dont have AM)
Sounds like an air raid siren to me....

The Tesla doesn’t have a motor whine but instead has way more interior NVH. The wife’s XC40 recharge has a motor whine but it’s softer than the Lucid, the Kona EV has an awful whine, makes me nauseated every time I hear it. It all comes down to personal preference, there’s no argument for one being superior or inferior, it’s not a defect.

The Tesla doesn’t have a motor whine but instead has way more interior NVH. The wife’s XC40 recharge has a motor whine but it’s softer than the Lucid, the Kona EV has an awful whine, makes me nauseated every time I hear it. It all comes down to personal preference, there’s no argument for one being superior or inferior, it’s not a defect.
I think I didnt say it clearly, my apologies.

This sound does NOT naturally happen in model s'. Earlier ones had AM radios, and if you turn the radio to a unused frequency and volume to 7, the interference would pick up the noise and play it through the speakers.

I love the taycan's sport sound, personally(yes its piped through a speaker, but it is real motor noises). It is loud enough to be clear and purposeful. The lucid's is a bit quieter, which works for its more comfort image.

I don't think you should need to hear the whine to get driver feedback. A cad can be silent but also offer feedback to the driver.

They're definitely not mutually exclusive.
Nobody said it was necessary, heh. But I do think it was intentional, similar to the differing color schemes in the front and back.

To summarize the last 3 pages:
1) Nope, as the first car ever off the Lucid HQ lot, I did not have a chance to test drive it. I love the car but it does not mean I can not have complaints. "Sunlight is the ultimate disinfectant"!
2) Purposeful doesn't mean intentional. My GUESS is that in order to get the cars off the lot, they went with it and will fix it, yes, fix it, with Gravity. If they don't fix it with Gravity, please return to this post and throw tomatoes at me and I will wear egg on my face for a day! If they do, well...
3) Its the number one complaint of people sitting in my back seat. Not sure if that has translated into poor sales because IMHO, in the luxury segment, more people who do NOT like the sound will NOT buy the car than people who DO like it will buy the car.
4) @xponents that AM radio YouTube was an awesome find!

I'm okay that some like or even love the whine. I don't like cyber bullying of those who don't and THAT was my only complaint! 😇

To summarize the last 3 pages:
1) Nope, as the first car ever off the Lucid HQ lot, I did not have a chance to test drive it. I love the car but it does not mean I can not have complaints. "Sunlight is the ultimate disinfectant"!
2) Purposeful doesn't mean intentional. My GUESS is that in order to get the cars off the lot, they went with it and will fix it, yes, fix it, with Gravity. If they don't fix it with Gravity, please return to this post and throw tomatoes at me and I will wear egg on my face for a day! If they do, well...
3) Its the number one complaint of people sitting in my back seat. Not sure if that has translated into poor sales because IMHO, in the luxury segment, more people who do NOT like the sound will NOT buy the car than people who DO like it will buy the car.
4) @xponents that AM radio YouTube was an awesome find!

I'm okay that some like or even love the whine. I don't like cyber bullying of those who don't and THAT was my only complaint! 😇
Within few months, we should find an answer.
It looks like, my wife is not the only one who likes to whine. Lol.

It looks like, my wife is not the only one who likes to whine. Lol.
I hope she is not on this forum.
If she is, wow that was in poor taste!
If she's not... THAT WAS HILARIOUS! :eek:

I hope she is not on this forum.
If she is, wow that was in poor taste!
If she's not... THAT WAS HILARIOUS! :eek:
I can guarantee she doesn't know anything about our "little escape pod ".
Shoes, on the other hand, Imelda Marcos is her real competition.
And it hurts :)

I can guarantee she doesn't know anything about our "little escape pod ".
Shoes, on the other hand, Imelda Marcos is her real competition.
And it hurts :)
I feel your pain! I told her I'd go out and get a bottle of red spray paint!
iykyk: if you know you know! ;)

Back