RESOLVED Is motor whine normal?

To summarize the last 3 pages:
1) Nope, as the first car ever off the Lucid HQ lot, I did not have a chance to test drive it. I love the car but it does not mean I can not have complaints. "Sunlight is the ultimate disinfectant"!
2) Purposeful doesn't mean intentional. My GUESS is that in order to get the cars off the lot, they went with it and will fix it, yes, fix it, with Gravity. If they don't fix it with Gravity, please return to this post and throw tomatoes at me and I will wear egg on my face for a day! If they do, well...
3) Its the number one complaint of people sitting in my back seat. Not sure if that has translated into poor sales because IMHO, in the luxury segment, more people who do NOT like the sound will NOT buy the car than people who DO like it will buy the car.
4) @xponents that AM radio YouTube was an awesome find!

I'm okay that some like or even love the whine. I don't like cyber bullying of those who don't and THAT was my only complaint! 😇
Perfectly sums up the thread. Also, there is a model 3 video that shows natural sound without damping:

To summarize the last 3 pages:
1) Nope, as the first car ever off the Lucid HQ lot, I did not have a chance to test drive it. I love the car but it does not mean I can not have complaints. "Sunlight is the ultimate disinfectant"!
2) Purposeful doesn't mean intentional. My GUESS is that in order to get the cars off the lot, they went with it and will fix it, yes, fix it, with Gravity. If they don't fix it with Gravity, please return to this post and throw tomatoes at me and I will wear egg on my face for a day! If they do, well...
3) Its the number one complaint of people sitting in my back seat. Not sure if that has translated into poor sales because IMHO, in the luxury segment, more people who do NOT like the sound will NOT buy the car than people who DO like it will buy the car.
4) @xponents that AM radio YouTube was an awesome find!

I'm okay that some like or even love the whine. I don't like cyber bullying of those who don't and THAT was my only complaint! 😇
If you had known about and experienced the whine in a test drive, would you still have bought the car or would it have dissuaded you from a purchase?

The worst motor whine I’ve heard in an EV is the Hyundai Kona EV, sounds like a sad cat, and it’s also nausea inducing.

I just test drove the rear motor version of the Pure and found that it completely eliminated the motor noise that I disliked so much when I test drove the dual motor pure a month ago. The noise was a dealbreaker for me and I could hear it the minute I pulled out of the garage. I just put down a deposit for the rear wheel drive pure. The rear motor version demo car arrived at Newport Beach Fashion Island this week
IMG_9818.jpeg

I just test drove the rear motor version of the Pure and found that it completely eliminated the motor noise that I disliked so much when I test drove the dual motor pure a month ago. The noise was a dealbreaker for me and I could hear it the minute I pulled out of the garage. I just put down a deposit for the rear wheel drive pure. The rear motor version demo car arrived at Newport Beach Fashion Island this week View attachment 16498
Congrats on the purchase! So, I wonder if that means the whine comes from the front motor OR they have fixed the problem (which others don't identify as a problem but I do-IMHO)?

Congrats on the purchase! So, I wonder if that means the whine comes from the front motor OR they have fixed the problem (which others don't identify as a problem but I do-IMHO)?
I've heard that it's just front motor whine. The motor's mount isn't acoustically isolated. I generally don't mind it, but would prefer if it was quieter.

I've heard that it's just front motor whine. The motor's mount isn't acoustically isolated.
The gravity also does have it based on Throttle House, and I find it hard to believe they "missed" it for the second model. I conclude that it was a purposeful decision.

It's just the front motor. There's not really anything to fix, as it appears to be intentional; I like it, and many others do, but it's definitely true that some do not. Lucid seems to think it adds value, as the Gravity also does it.

When I did my test drive of the dual
Motor a month ago I could distinctly tell that all the noise was coming from the front motor. It’s a huge difference and so much better for me. This car has the base audio and I was underwhelmed. Will be ordering the upgraded audio and the massage ventilated seats.

It's just the front motor. There's not really anything to fix, as it appears to be intentional; I like it, and many others do, but it's definitely true that some do not. Lucid seems to think it adds value, as the Gravity also does it.
First I liked it. Now I find it annoying.

I just test drove the rear motor version of the Pure and found that it completely eliminated the motor noise that I disliked so much when I test drove the dual motor pure a month ago. The noise was a dealbreaker for me and I could hear it the minute I pulled out of the garage. I just put down a deposit for the rear wheel drive pure. The rear motor version demo car arrived at Newport Beach Fashion Island this week View attachment 16498
I had predicted a long time ago the RWD Pure would be the quietest of all the Lucids.

I had predicted a long time ago the RWD Pure would be the quietest of all the Lucids.
All Lucid vehicles sound the same when you are driving 85 =)

Is there a reason other than the noise to order a rwd pure over the dual motor other than the motor sounds? Isn’t the price the same and you get significantly more power with the dual motor?

Is there a reason other than the noise to order a rwd pure over the dual motor other than the motor sounds? Isn’t the price the same and you get significantly more power with the dual motor?
All Pures will be RWD.

Back