RESOLVED Is motor whine normal?

You don't hear that in Model X because it gets a lot of noise from outside into the cabin while AGT does not get outside noise in the cabin.
Amen. Our Model X roars at any speed about 50 mph. It really is a loud car inside. Turning up the volume helps me hear the music better, but I don't gain much discernment doing so.

"...With big brakes at each corner and oodles of front-axle grip, you’ve confidence on the way into them, too. This car wasn’t designed as a straight-line dragster (although the Performance can hit 0-60mph in 2.4sec) – it’s the way it accelerates above 60mph, and never really lets up, that impresses. And all in near-serenity – other than some slightly intrusive gear whine. (Lucid knows about it; it’s working on a solution.) ..."

Lucid Air (2022) review: (a)head in the clouds

Definitely whines a lot more than the Tesla. But kind of soothing

Anyone know if there is a method to reduce the whine noise. My Tesla has never whined like my beautiful new Lucid Air.

Anyone know if there is a method to reduce the whine noise. My Tesla has never whined like my beautiful new Lucid Air.
Probably no, it's about how they mount the motors. The rear motor is mounted differently, so you can't hear anything from the rear. It's probably a deliberate choice to let front motor sound out. Because the front side of the car is about sportiness and the back of car is about quiet and comfort. That's why the rear side always has a bright color. Maybe start to appreciate the sound? I really love the sound to be hostly, makes think I'm driving a spaceship.

How will/would 2.0 reduce the whine?
No, the whine is because how they mount the motor. No software change will silence it unless in the far future, the software can produce a sound that either negate the whine or cover it with "better" sound.

I’m in the camp that likes the whine. Which is different for me. Normally I like my cars tomb silent, but this whine, it’s kind of soothing.

Further clarification requested: Our only experience with EVs has been a few Tesla S's and the only time we hear the motor whine is during accelartion/decerlaration at low speeds with a car window open and environmental noises are low. If the windows are closed, the whine cannot heard when sitting inside the cabin. In the Lucid, is the whine heard inside a sealed (windows closed) cabin?

Further clarification requested: Our only experience with EVs has been a few Tesla S's and the only time we hear the motor whine is during accelartion/decerlaration at low speeds with a car window open and environmental noises are low. If the windows are closed, the whine cannot heard when sitting inside the cabin. In the Lucid, is the whine heard inside a sealed (windows closed) cabin?
Yes. It can be perceived as a sporty sound (the EV equivalent of a V12 Ferrari's shriek), or as an annoying sound (like your neighbor's kid's muscle car). I alternate between the two. It's most noticeable at surface street speeds. If a mitigation kit were offered, I'd be interested.

But aside from some charging issues at present, it's a fantastic car both in town and on road trips. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do, after so-so feelings after two brief test drives. I wouldn't be too put off by reports of the sound.

Yes. It can be perceived as a sporty sound (the EV equivalent of a V12 Ferrari's shriek), or as an annoying sound (like your neighbor's kid's muscle car). I alternate between the two. It's most noticeable at surface street speeds. If a mitigation kit were offered, I'd be interested.
Reportedly, one company reduced the motor whine by minimizing the vibration from the components, wrapping the motor in special foam mat, and "decoupling" the motor from the body, whatever that means.

Reportedly, one company reduced the motor whine by minimizing the vibration from the components, wrapping the motor in special foam mat, and "decoupling" the motor from the body, whatever that means.
One downside of designing really tight, elegant thermal/mechanical packaging is that it's a little harder to change things later on.

Back