How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

How Much Range Are You Actually Getting?

• 100% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 90% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 22 7.9%
  • 80% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 108 38.8%
  • 70% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 96 34.5%
  • 60% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • 50% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 40% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 30% Of Estimated Range

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Touring---Silver/Tahoe/Metal Roof. Confirmed with hard deposit last August. "preparing for production"...check it out!!
Very cool!! Please keep us updated on your delivery.

Very cool!! Please keep us updated on your delivery.
Thanks---I actually ordered 3/12/22--10 months ago this week. I have the impression people ordered Touring before I did, and haven't gotten their cars yet, so I hardly feel aggrieved.

Given it's the dead of winter in the Midwest I'm fine waiting until March, which was my DA's best guess.

BTW, I saw a black Air today driving my direction--rolled down my window and gave him Thumbs Up as he waited to turn left---he flashed!

#2 If the "break-in" improvement has a basis in science and engineering, I'd expect Lucid to tout it, since there is so much push-back on poor mileage compare to advertised.
As I recall this was covered in a battery tech YouTube edu post by Lucid. I believe it was that over multiple charge/discharge cycles each stack of cells run in series is "tuned" in control electronics to produce a uniform 900+ volts across all the parallel cell stacks in the pack. This produces a more efficient pack (charging & discharging)... and takes time... and by implication would produce a varying result (some packs would see more improvement than others).

Touring---Silver/Tahoe/Metal Roof. Confirmed with hard deposit last August. "preparing for production"...check it out!!
My order is the same except Tahoe -> Mojave, for which I get extra demerits, otherwise fully loaded.
Back on topic, though, I believe I read that the potential range improvements would be due to the battery pack stabilizing over charge cycles plus resistance improvements in the tight drive train. Some seem to confirm this, some haven't seen it. Difficult to adequately measure based on owner's differences in operating and environment. So I read this as a "maybe for you, maybe not"

My order is the same except Tahoe -> Mojave, for which I get extra demerits, otherwise fully loaded.
Back on topic, though, I believe I read that the potential range improvements would be due to the battery pack stabilizing over charge cycles plus resistance improvements in the tight drive train. Some seem to confirm this, some haven't seen it. Difficult to adequately measure based on owner's differences in operating and environment. So I read this as a "maybe for you, maybe not"
Good point that driving habits/conditions make it hard to quantify

Good point that driving habits/conditions make it hard to quantify
Actually I think of it more as "hard to compare." My driving style depends on which vehicle I'm driving, passengers and/or load, where I am, where I'm going, weather, etc, varying from day to day and hour to hour. How can you and I expect to compare differences in energy usage over thousands of miles? So this could really only be answered adequately with an engineered test platform, unchanged environment over thousands of hours, and then it wouldn't reflect what you or I should expect. I think of EPA tests, and the ads from last century saying "your mileage may vary!"

Last edited:
As I recall this was covered in a battery tech YouTube edu post by Lucid. I believe it was that over multiple charge/discharge cycles each stack of cells run in series is "tuned" in control electronics to produce a uniform 900+ volts across all the parallel cell stacks in the pack. This produces a more efficient pack (charging & discharging)... and takes time... and by implication would produce a varying result (some packs would see more improvement than others).
Actually I think of it more as "hard to compare." My driving style depends on which vehicle I'm driving, passengers and/or load, where I am, where I'm going, weather, etc, varying from day to day and hour to hour. How can you and I expect to compare differences in energy usage over thousands of miles? So this could really only be answered adequately with an engineered test platform, unchanged environment over thousands of hours, and then it wouldn't reflect what you or I should expect. I think of EPA tests, and the ads from last century saying "your mileage may vary!"

And we as EV owners will be talking range, sweating range, arguing about range and belabouring range until reliable DC fast-charging stations become as ubiquitous as gas stations.

When that happens, we simply won’t care anymore.

Range matters less in this car than other EVs, so I don’t see much reason for disappointment or dissatisfaction. If you drive like EPA you will get EPA, if you don’t, you will not. This car can be fantastically efficient in optimum conditions, and have poor efficiency in bad conditions, which is offset by the large battery pack at least in those conditions. I’m satisfied in either scenario.

#1--read my post---I never claimed "proof" of anything----I said there are "indications" which primarily are the testimony of people here who have seen no improvement.

#2 If the "break-in" improvement has a basis in science and engineering, I'd expect Lucid to tout it, since there is so much push-back on poor mileage compare to advertised.

#3 Since when is it a criterion that posts here contain "a ton of value"-- or any?
Very familiar with what you posted, and read it carefully, but I'll respond to your points in kind:

1. Read it. Never claimed you had proof of anything. My point is that saying there are 'indications' is a useless comment, as there are also 'indications' that go in the opposite direction, and roughly about as many. This type of comment solely serves to sow fear, uncertainty, and doubt, and does not provide any actual value to the rest of the readers of this forum. Neither, incidentally, does the comment 'there are indications that there is a breakin period' except that that is inherently more useful in that it may provide a potential reason.

2. It has. See the battery video referenced elsewhere in this thread.

3. Since we instituted guidelines. We have considered adding these explicitly (a more specific version of them) to the guidelines, but they aren't there yet. Perhaps, as a result of this conversation, we will. These are stolen directly from the guidelines for Hacker News, and we happen to think they are beneficial.
The most important principle on HN, though, is to make thoughtful comments. Thoughtful in both senses: civil and substantial.

The test for substance is a lot like it is for links. Does your comment teach us anything? There are two ways to do that: by pointing out some consideration that hadn't previously been mentioned, and by giving more information about the topic, perhaps from personal experience. Whereas comments like "lol" or "That's the dumbest thing I ever heard" teach us nothing.

Empty comments can be ok if they're positive. There's nothing wrong with submitting a comment saying just "Thanks." What we especially discourage are comments that are empty and negative—comments that are mere name-calling.

Which brings us to the most important principle on HN: civility. Since long before the web, the anonymity of online conversation has lured people into being much ruder than they'd be in person. So the principle here is: don't say anything you wouldn't say face to face. This doesn't mean you can't disagree. But disagree without calling names. If you're right, your argument will be more convincing without them.

And we as EV owners will be talking range, sweating range, arguing about range and belabouring range until reliable DC fast-charging stations become as ubiquitous as gas stations.

When that happens, we simply won’t care anymore.
I have posted this at least once or twice. My son drove six-year-old Model S 1200 miles and while he did have to stop and charge often, he never had range/charger anxiety because the Tesla charger network is very good.

I eagerly wait for the charging network to expand, I am approx 90” drive from my closest EA charging station… plan to charge primarily at home for now..

Now that I have had my AGT for 4 months, I have an observation about mileage. It started good if you drove really consevatively (the first weekend I drove the Lucid alongside our 45 year old vintage car with no acceleration, and got 4.2 mi/kwh). Driving more aggressively, the mileage was OK, more like 3.4 mi/kwh. A couple of thousand miles in, it might have been a tiny bit better, not sure. A couple of months later, the mileage did not seem as good. At some point, I realized that the tire inflation was down, from 49 to 44-45 on all four tires. Bringing those back up seems to have added a couple of tenths to the miles/kwh. Of course, now we have the winter cold pushing things down again.

Now that I have had my AGT for 4 months, I have an observation about mileage. It started good if you drove really consevatively (the first weekend I drove the Lucid alongside our 45 year old vintage car with no acceleration, and got 4.2 mi/kwh). Driving more aggressively, the mileage was OK, more like 3.4 mi/kwh. A couple of thousand miles in, it might have been a tiny bit better, not sure. A couple of months later, the mileage did not seem as good. At some point, I realized that the tire inflation was down, from 49 to 44-45 on all four tires. Bringing those back up seems to have added a couple of tenths to the miles/kwh. Of course, now we have the winter cold pushing things down again.
Yeah I noticed the same thing; at first I blamed it on the cold, but then I realized my pressures were low.

As always, lots of factors. :)

The longer I've had this car the less I've paid attention to or cared about efficiency at all unless I'm planning a road trip. Range anxiety is definitely eliminated for me, even though, as all EVs, the car is less efficient in cold, with lower tire pressures, with wind, with rain, with fast driving, with elevation changes, etc. I hope service isn't too preoccupied with owners wanting service to investigate whether their car is working since they're not getting close to EPA. If there was a serviceable factor with the car not getting expected range for a given set of conditions, I'd assume it to be a fault in the battery or drive system that would have already caused another failure in the car. If however some ambitious person charged to 100%, drove down to very close to zero in a continuous drive and only used like 80-90kw or something THEN I might call service.

Charger anxiety is another problem, I find in planning a road trip the bulk of the work is spent looking up EA sites on Plug-Share that were recommended as the stops for ABRP after I've put in my recent average mi/kwh from the car, and then coming up with a Plan B non-EA charging location in case EA doesn't work.

Was it @Bunnylebowski or @borski who posted the range chart with the Lucid and the other EV's that showed projected range depending on speed? I forget if that had a temperature metric on there as well.
But would be great to know

Was it @Bunnylebowski or @borski who posted the range chart with the Lucid and the other EV's that showed projected range depending on speed? I forget if that had a temperature metric on there as well.
But would be great to know
hummer-343.jpeg

9F49CF6B-CF42-40B6-9AD5-52438CF84E43.jpeg

Charged AGT to the usual 80% soc for my wife’s 1.5 hr trip for a baby shower. Range listed 415 mi. She drove mostly highway, without using any driver assist features. This is what she had left upon return. Temp was ~40F, light winds. I’m underwhelmed…

View attachment 8947
Charged AGT to the usual 80% soc for my wife’s 1.5 hr trip for a baby shower. Range listed 415 mi. She drove mostly highway, without using any driver assist features. This is what she had left upon return. Temp was ~40F, light winds. I’m underwhelmed…
Can you post the Trip Summary screenshot? Would be interesting to see the Mi/kWh. I've definitely gotten wide ranges of efficiency depending on my driving style as well as the outdoor conditions.

Back