Home Charging and fan running

Bill B

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
My question is when charging my Tesla with 80 Amps the fan to cool the batteries rarely would ever come on the Lucid fan is always running when I charge even on a 15 amp circuit is that right that the fan is always running?

Happens to me as well. I think they're tuning this behavior in the next OTA update.

Yea, I think for now, Lucid was erring on the side of EXTREME caution for the BMS and cooling. Will probably tweak it down, but I'd rather fans run all the time to keep batteries cool rather than the opposite *cough* LEAF *cough*

Fans are rather simple but very efficient machines. They draw hardly any amps. Plus, they run almost horever before wearing out. I would not worry too much about ampere draws from fans.

Pumps, on the other hand, tend to suck up amps, especially compared to fans. Since Lucid batteries are cooled using liquid filled aluminum cooling structure, at least according Rawlinson in his battery tech video, I would assume that Lucid uses a pump to move the liquid to a radiator, in which a fan blow are accross to cool the liquid. Thus, you may have both a pump and a fan working. I would think the pump would be to major ampere draw.

Pumps, on the other hand, tend to suck up amps, especially compared to fans. Since Lucid batteries are cooled using liquid filled aluminum cooling structure, at least according Rawlinson in his battery tech video, I would assume that Lucid uses a pump to move the liquid to a radiator, in which a fan blow are accross to cool the liquid. Thus, you may have both a pump and a fan working. I would think the pump would be to major ampere draw.
It's just a little circulating pump, this little HW circulating pump at Amazon consumes 14 watts.

Well, if it's not the fan and it's not the pump, what else could it be. Hmmmmm.

Question
Does anyone have problems charging when its warm in the garage?
I normally get 3 miles of charge per hour at home and now with the heat in Wisconsin I'm lucky to get 1 mile an hour.

Question
I normally get 3 miles of charge per hour at home and now with the heat in Wisconsin I'm lucky to get 1 mile an hour.
The battery cooling fan uses a lot of power. You must be using a 110v circuit. A 220v at 40-50 amps will be much faster.

Its been days on the charger and the batteries are not cooling down?????

I charge regularly on a 110V. Not sure if external ambient temperature plays a big role, but I think starting SOC does. I’m not sure if the 110V charging can take the car much beyond 70% unless you wait weeks. I have managed to fully charge the car using 110V after about 10 days of continuous charging.

Question
Read the thread Hot Topic. It discusses this exact problem.

Back