Home Charging Miles per Hour

Mmauer

I going to have the Lucid Home Charger installed in my garage. The Lucid website says that it can charge up to 80 miles per hour at 80 Amps, 240 Volts. I currently have 60 Amps going into my garage. Does anyone know what how many miles per hour charging I would get with 60 Amps? With this info, I can decide whether it pays to upgrade the outlet to 80 Amps or leave it at 60 Amps.

I going to have the Lucid Home Charger installed in my garage. The Lucid website says that it can charge up to 80 miles per hour at 80 Amps, 240 Volts. I currently have 60 Amps going into my garage. Does anyone know what how many miles per hour charging I would get with 60 Amps? With this info, I can decide whether it pays to upgrade the outlet to 80 Amps or leave it at 60 Amps.
If you have a 60 amp outlet, you can use a 48 amp charger. That’ll give you somewhere around 45 miles per charge hour. You can't simply upgrade the outlet without taking a look at the breaker and the gauge of the wire itself. It is always best to consult an electrician on high amperage applications like this. Any improper installation can result in a fire!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope by outlet that you do not mean receptacle. The NEMA 14-50 plug should not be on a 60A circuit, it should be on a 50A circuit and the charger (EVSE) should only draw 40A. If you hardwire a charger to the 60A circuit, you can draw 48A. @Bobby is correct about 45 mph, maybe 48 mph on a good day. for overnight charging, your 60A circuit should be fine.

Better to just do the math. 48A x 240v = 11.5KW. An hour of charging is 11.5KWh. If you think you can get 4 mi/KWh that is 11.5 x 4 = 46 miles/hour.

For overnight charging you’ll likely be absolutely fine with what you have. I’d suggest you give it a try as is, you can always upgrade the cabling at a later date if you do find you need more juice.

When I put my Tesla wall connector in I went for a 100A sub panel so I could charge at the full 80A. Complete overkill, I’ve never needed to charge at home that quickly (and I only get 208V …)

In fact I later dialled the wall connector down to 64A because the handle was getting warm.

I am sure you are hardwiring the Lucid charger as that is the only option available and the only option for a 60 amp or 80 amp connection. I have a ChargePoint Home Flex at home we got for our previous electric car, and it is on an outlet with 40 amps. It delivers 32 amps to the car, and it fully charges overnight anyway. It does not matter if an 80 amp charger fully charges in 5 hours overnight or a 32 amp fully charges your car in 14 hours. 14 hours is from 0 to 100% SOC. since we normally charge from 20% to 80% SOC - my 32 amp charger completes the task in 7 hours.

If you have a 60 amp outlet, you can use a 48 amp charger. That’ll give you somewhere around 45 miles per charge hour. You can't simply upgrade the outlet without taking a look at the breaker and the gauge of the wire itself. It is always best to consult an electrician on high amperage applications like this. Any improper installation can result in a fire!
I was telling someone this at lunch on Monday. He's got a Model 3 that he's charging from a regular 110v outlet and was thinking of using the dryer port without checking any of the wiring behind it. He was definitely surprised when I mentioned possible fire risks.

Better to just do the math. 48A x 240v = 11.5KW. An hour of charging is 11.5KWh. If you think you can get 4 mi/KWh that is 11.5 x 4 = 46 miles/hour.
Thank you.
Charging is in kWs. Not miles.
Miles per kWh is not a set number and it varies widely.

My township is asking for an electrical specification sheet of the vehicle for them to approve a permit for EVSE.
Not sure where to find this for my vehicle.

My township is asking for an electrical specification sheet of the vehicle for them to approve a permit for EVSE.
What... Why?

For the vehicle? I would've expected they'd have wanted a specification sheet for the EVSE.

Where are you located? Generally, all it requires is proof of purchase(YMMV), detailed bill of what was done, how much it costed and specification of EVSE (generally 40A or something). They also look at if the work was done by licensed electrician. Once the township inspects (I got Purple sticker in NJ) and good the rebate from my Electric company.

Where are you located? Generally, all it requires is proof of purchase(YMMV), detailed bill of what was done, how much it costed and specification of EVSE (generally 40A or something). They also look at if the work was done by licensed electrician. Once the township inspects (I got Purple sticker in NJ) and good the rebate from my Electric company.
I am in NJ as well, Marlboro TBS. I was denied rebate by JCPL.

Back