Gravity Features

As much as I love speculation, there are some things that probably can still change between now and release. I'd say, we've waited this long, only a few more months before we get official specs of Gravity with options. Let's just wait and see officially what Gravity releases with before we all go chicken little =)

But where's the fun in that?

If you ever do get a chance to meet some of the Lucid team who work on these projects, they are very much in tune with what the customer wants. Peter wants to give the customer everything, perfectly working and yesterday, but everything takes time and we know perfection is the enemy of progress. There is a lot riding on Gravity and everyone I've spoken to feels the pressure of Gravity release. Will it be perfect? No. But it will still be mind-blowingly amazing.

I wholeheartedly agree.

However, I think Lucid and Rawlinson would be a little disappointed or even alarmed if, nine months after the big reveal at the L.A. Auto Show, people who are fascinated by the brand and what we've seen so far from it were not watching like hawks and picking apart every news and information tidbit that came down the pike about the next big product launch.

I do agree, but on the contrary, voicing our concerns about possible “issues” gives Lucid the opportunity to listen to the people who are buying the car. Therefore, even if it is speculation, voicing what we all would like for the launch Gravity would give Lucid an idea of what customers are expecting.
Yes, but here is not the place to do that. Lucid will occasionally peruse these forums, and there's a couple folks from Lucid who are here pretty regularly, but please do not mistake posting things here as providing feedback to the Lucid team. This forum is not how you do that, and it will not get to them if you do.

This thread is 11 pages long so far. Nobody from Lucid is reading the detail contained within to look for notes on what to deliver.

The main thing is power train, range, space which are superior in every category. It will have air suspension with 18 mm of travel. No torque vectoring because it's only dual motor
I did hear torque vectoring mentioned in the "Proving Grounds: The Alaskan Tundra | The Road to Lucid Gravity" video which is why I raised it -
. From what I've read on EVs, "In electric vehicles all-wheel drive is typically implemented with two independent electric motors, one for each axle. In this case the torque vectoring between the front and rear axles is just a matter of electronically controlling the power distribution between the two motors, which can be done on a millisecond scale"

Torque vectoring usually refers to imparting a steering load with the drive wheels (applying more torque to one side). With a single motor per axle wheel brakes are used. With two motors on a drive axle each motor can be controlled for quicker and more precise control of directional forces.

Torque vectoring usually refers to imparting a steering load with the drive wheels (applying more torque to one side). With a single motor per axle wheel brakes are used. With two motors on a drive axle each motor can be controlled for quicker and more precise control of directional forces.
This is how I interpreted it when I replied

I did hear torque vectoring mentioned in the "Proving Grounds: The Alaskan Tundra | The Road to Lucid Gravity" video which is why I raised it -
. From what I've read on EVs, "In electric vehicles all-wheel drive is typically implemented with two independent electric motors, one for each axle. In this case the torque vectoring between the front and rear axles is just a matter of electronically controlling the power distribution between the two motors, which can be done on a millisecond scale"
Basic torque vectoring just refers to the distribution of power between the two axles, not necessarily between the left and right side/wheels of the car. Sending more or less power to the front or rear axle is, in and of itself, torque vectoring, and that's what the Gravity video above is referring to 'coming alive' when testing in snow conditions, for obvious reasons. Traction control is basically an exercise in braking and/or basic torque vectoring in every ICE car.

Torque vectoring can get fancy and complicated if you can control individual wheels, either with multiple motors on an axle (as in the case of most EVs that support it), or with fancy differentials that can send more or less power to individual wheels (how AWD ICE cars do it).

...Torque vectoring can get fancy and complicated if you can control individual wheels, either with multiple motors on an axle (as in the case of most EVs that support it), or with fancy differentials that can send more or less power to individual wheels (how AWD ICE cars do it).
Mechanical clutches can also be used to enable torque vectoring. The Polestar 3 makes use of a pair of wet clutches on its rear motor/wheels for torque vectoring and improved freeway efficiency (and it needs all the efficiency gains it can find).

Basic torque vectoring just refers to the distribution of power between the two axles, not necessarily between the left and right side/wheels of the car. Sending more or less power to the front or rear axle is, in and of itself, torque vectoring, and that's what the Gravity video above is referring to 'coming alive' when testing in snow conditions, for obvious reasons. Traction control is basically an exercise in braking and/or basic torque vectoring in every ICE car.

Torque vectoring can get fancy and complicated if you can control individual wheels, either with multiple motors on an axle (as in the case of most EVs that support it), or with fancy differentials that can send more or less power to individual wheels (how AWD ICE cars do it).
as I understand torque vectoring to be but as systems have evolved to the individuals wheels - power is sent to wheels where and when needed

Well, I see we're not the only place having discussions about captain's chairs (or lack thereof). I'm still struggling with whether to get the Gravity early on as planned or wait for captain's chairs and rear-wheel steering, two features that I really want and thought would come with the Dream Edition -- which itself may have fallen by the wayside.

The wait for the Gravity to arrive has not been quite the wait I expected. Instead of seeing more interesting features come into focus as time has passed, I'm seeing one desired feature after another drop out of sight:

- no sliding rear doors (yeah, I know what some people think of them but, after owning two minivans, I can attest to their incredible utility)
- no enhanced powertrain for a Dream Edition (any maybe not a Dream Edition at all)
- no rear-wheel steering, at least for a while
- no captain's chairs, at least for a while
- early teases but no subsequent mention of HUD (something of a gimmick, but with real utility if it projects navigation graphics)

I still convinced the Gravity will be the best-handling SUV (or whatever it is) on the road, will pull off miracles with space packaging no one else approaches, will have one of the longest ranges of any 7-passenger vehicle, and will exude style and luxury. But, given how iffy road-trip charging still is in many part of the country, the list reasons to replace our Honda Odyssey with a Gravity as a group road-tripper is getting shorter rather than longer.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 8.39.32 AM.webp
    Screenshot 2024-08-27 at 8.39.32 AM.webp
    69.9 KB · Views: 52
Well, I see we're not the only place having discussions about captain's chairs (or lack thereof). I'm still struggling with whether to get the Gravity early on as planned or wait for captain's chairs and rear-wheel steering, two features that I really want and thought would come with the Dream Edition -- which itself may have fallen by the wayside.

The wait for the Gravity to arrive has not been quite the wait I expected. Instead of seeing more interesting features come into focus as time has passed, I'm seeing one desired feature after another drop out of sight:

- no sliding rear doors (yeah, I know what some people think of them but, after owning two minivans, I can attest to their incredible utility)
- no enhanced powertrain for a Dream Edition (any maybe not a Dream Edition at all)
- no rear-wheel steering, at least for a while
- no captain's chairs, at least for a while
- early teases but no subsequent mention of HUD (something of a gimmick, but with real utility if it projects navigation graphics)

I still convinced the Gravity will be the best-handling SUV (or whatever it is) on the road, will pull off miracles with space packaging no one else approaches, will have one of the longest ranges of any 7-passenger vehicle, and will exude style and luxury. But, given how iffy road-trip charging still is in many part of the country, the list reasons to replace our Honda Odyssey with a Gravity as a group road-tripper is getting shorter rather than longer.
Sliding door would put more people off buying it, though I agree with you that its better than a regular door. I don't think they will add rear wheel steering. Captain chairs will be a later addition. HUD I feel is not needed if your instrument panel is in your line of sight and not blocked by the steering wheel. I feel perfectly fine without HUD driving the Air and don't miss it, though my SUV has it.

But, the range, efficiency, performance, packaging- nothing beats the Gravity.

Sliding door would put more people off buying it, though I agree with you that its better than a regular door.

Yeah, I agree and never really expected it. But I did hope . . . .

I don't think they will add rear wheel steering.

This I'm not sure about. It was mentioned as being under development to several journalists who test drove the alpha prototypes, and a Lucid chassis engineer described to one reviewer what the vehicle's handling was like with it, suggesting it was present at least on a test mule.

Captain chairs will be a later addition.

It's the "later" part that bothers me. There are reports that the delay relates to trying to get the chairs to fold flat into the cargo floor. If that's the only reason, I think it would be better to make them part of the initial option package, and people who really need a flat full-length cargo floor can just stick with the second-row bench.

HUD I feel is not needed if your instrument panel is in your line of sight and not blocked by the steering wheel.

Agreed. This is why I was surprised that Lucid even teased it, leading me to think they saw some additional utility in it, such as overlaying images of turns directly onto the turns themselves, a feature that can be very useful in the divided-road layouts in dense retail/commercial areas in Florida where turns are often just yards apart.

Yeah, I agree and never really expected it. But I did hope . . . .

This I'm not sure about. It was mentioned as being under development to several journalists who test drove the alpha prototypes, and a Lucid chassis engineer described to one reviewer what the vehicle's handling was like with it, suggesting it was present at least on a test mule.

It's the "later" part that bothers me. There are reports that the delay relates to trying to get the chairs to fold flat into the cargo floor. If that's the only reason, I think it would be better to make them part of the initial option package, and people who really need a flat full-length cargo floor can just stick with the second-row bench.

Agreed. This is why I was surprised that Lucid even teased it, leading me to think they saw some additional utility in it, such as overlaying images of turns directly onto the turns themselves, a feature that can be very useful in the divided-road layouts in dense retail/commercial areas in Florida where turns are often just yards apart.
We've been on this long journey together. Just like with the Air, I think our patience will pay off. I have full faith that Gravity will be as awesome as I believe it will, especially after talking to the Lucid the behind Gravity and getting some hands on time in the prototypes.

I thought I read somewhere that people had spotted HUD hardware in this picture from the pre-production process (but maybe I misunderstood).

Interesting. When I tried to blow the picture up it pixelated too much to discern enough detail . . . and I don't really know what to look for, anyway.

Maybe someone else could help?

A Reddit commenter claims to have seen it in person:

Interesting. When I tried to blow the picture up it pixelated too much to discern enough detail . . . and I don't really know what to look for, anyway.

Maybe someone else could help?

A Reddit commenter claims to have seen it in person:

Might be that rectangular cutout right above the steering shaft. No reason to have a cutout there unless something bolts into that. Also would be the correct location to have it.

HUD I feel is not needed if your instrument panel is in your line of sight and not blocked by the steering wheel. I feel perfectly fine without HUD driving the Air and don't miss it, though my SUV has it.
Totally agree.
I actually have a car with a small steering wheel and the instrument panel above it. It's very convenient, works very well.
PXL_20240307_173237820.webp

My wife and I tried quite a few cars with HUD, including new cars trying to do some kind of augment reality navigation, and found several issues with them, so significant, that we both agree we don't want to have HUD in our car:
- The focus of the picture they project is always in the air, usually just a few feet in front of the car. It is never precisely on the road. Because of this it takes some effort for eyes to refocus. More effort than to refocus on a surface like the instrument panel because eyes have to focus just on these lines and symbols disconnected from everything, just in the middle of the air.
- As the picture just in the middle of the air it is still visible but unfocused when you're just looking at the road. I even feel sick after some time because of this.
- None of HUD we tried worked well with polarized sunglasses.

Of course you can always just turn it off. I'll just find it wasteful then to have a system (pretty complicated) that I don't need and don't use.

Dave Flint and Derek Jenkins refer to it as "digital detox". While I think that is a very useful feature, for most of my local night driving I would want the full screen displays . . . but without that dashboard arcade lighting. At the same time, I love the subtle nighttime lighting on the door panels and the roof strip of our Air. So, I'm hoping those dashboard arcade strips can be turned off independently of the rest of the interior mood lighting.

Given how many complaints there have been about the dashboard stitching of the Air reflecting off the windshield during the day, I hope Lucid is not going to occasion similar complaints with this nighttime lighting, which could be far more distracting.
As the time of production of Gravity has gotten closer, I haven't heard much about the "digital detox" feature. Is that feature still in play?

Back