Gravity Features

As the time of production of Gravity has gotten closer, I haven't heard much about the "digital detox" feature. Is that feature still in play?

I don't have any inside information, but since it's a useful feature with a simple software "switch" that turns the displays off I would assume it's still there.

- The focus of the picture they project is always in the air, usually just a few feet in front of the car. It is never precisely on the road. Because of this it takes some effort for eyes to refocus. More effort than to refocus on a surface like the instrument panel because eyes have to focus just on these lines and symbols disconnected from everything, just in the middle of the air.
- As the picture just in the middle of the air it is still visible but unfocused when you're just looking at the road. I even feel sick after some time because of this.
Lucid completely agrees with you. I can tell you they are definitely not building a HUD like any you’ve seen before. The “floating in the air in front of you” focal length problem is not one this HUD has.

As the time of production of Gravity has gotten closer, I haven't heard much about the "digital detox" feature. Is that feature still in play?
Yes, but it’s also software. Unclear if it’ll be there at launch (nobody has said it won’t be, but nobody has said it will be); but even if it isn’t, it can be delivered OTA.

Lucid completely agrees with you. I can tell you they are definitely not building a HUD like any you’ve seen before. The “floating in the air in front of you” focal length problem is not one this HUD has.

I continue to be amazed at how many fronts on which Lucid is advancing the state of the art, even in things beyond the powertrain, which remains a huge story itself. Space utilization, aerodynamics, ethernet ring, even headlights.

I don't know of any other automotive startup that has assembled so many seasoned players across so many disciplines from so many sources under such unrelentingly focused engineering leadership. It isn't just luck that delivered "Car of the Year" awards at launch to the two cars that were developed under Peter Rawlinson's oversight.

The Saudis must be constantly sighing in relief that in 2018 they decided to place their EV bets on Peter Rawlinson and Lucid instead of financing Elon Musk's attempt to take Tesla private.

I continue to be amazed at how many fronts on which Lucid is advancing the state of the art, even in things beyond the powertrain, which remains a huge story itself. Space utilization, aerodynamics, ethernet ring, even headlights.

I don't know of any other automotive startup that has assembled so many seasoned players across so many disciplines from so many sources under such unrelentingly focused engineering leadership. It isn't just luck that delivered "Car of the Year" awards at launch to the two cars that were developed under Peter Rawlinson's oversight.

The Saudis must be constantly sighing in relief that in 2018 they decided to place their EV bets on Peter Rawlinson and Lucid instead of financing Elon Musk's attempt to take Tesla private.
"No compromises" is the refrain I kept hearing over and over, and I think that feels right. It's clearly not going to be perfect, because nothing ever is; the Air was built "without compromises," but definitely still had some compromises because of external factors that were unavoidable. But the goal is commendable, because if you don't aim for it, you'll never push the envelope.

And pushing the envelope seems to be the crux of Lucid's DNA, in every possible discipline.

This Motor Trend First Look Review (dated 9/11/2024) seems to provide some more insight into Gravity features. While the article is dated 9/11/24, the author states the model reviewed was "a Dream Edition prototype before the SUV's debut". I'm wondering if the debut referenced is the debut of the pre-production model. If so, some of the features mentioned in the article may not have made it to the current pre-production model.

Perhaps any forum members in attendance at the Tech/Mfg event can confirm or refute the information I listed below, quoted from the article.

1) Wheel options include 20-inchers in front with 21s in back, 21s in front with 22s in back, or 22s in front with 23s in back.

2) We're told a car karaoke feature will also be offered.

3) As of this writing, Lucid is still determining how the second-row seats will fold out of the way to improve access to the third row. The prototype we saw had a lever on the bottom side of the second-row bench, which can adjust the backrest angle. Will there also be a Honda-Pilot-like button to recline that backrest and shove the seat forward?

4) No steel-roofed Gravity is planned; Gravity's glass roof has a different thermal coating that may reduce cabin temperatures. Down the line, an electrochromic glass roof feature may be offered.

5) There's a new regular-sized key fob on the Gravity, which should accommodate longer-lasting batteries;

6) The new Atlas motor that will be found in Lucid's new midsize platform may also find its way into the Gravity to offer an even cheaper price for a lower-spec trim, but the Gravity's top models will retain the current powerful, yet compact drive units also found in the Air AWDs.

This Motor Trend First Look Review (dated 9/11/2024) seems to provide some more insight into Gravity features. While the article is dated 9/11/24, the author states the model reviewed was "a Dream Edition prototype before the SUV's debut". I'm wondering if the debut referenced is the debut of the pre-production model. If so, some of the features mentioned in the article may not have made it to the current pre-production model.

Perhaps any forum members in attendance at the Tech/Mfg event can confirm or refute the information I listed below, quoted from the article.

1) Wheel options include 20-inchers in front with 21s in back, 21s in front with 22s in back, or 22s in front with 23s in back.

2) We're told a car karaoke feature will also be offered.

3) As of this writing, Lucid is still determining how the second-row seats will fold out of the way to improve access to the third row. The prototype we saw had a lever on the bottom side of the second-row bench, which can adjust the backrest angle. Will there also be a Honda-Pilot-like button to recline that backrest and shove the seat forward?

4) No steel-roofed Gravity is planned; Gravity's glass roof has a different thermal coating that may reduce cabin temperatures. Down the line, an electrochromic glass roof feature may be offered.

5) There's a new regular-sized key fob on the Gravity, which should accommodate longer-lasting batteries;

6) The new Atlas motor that will be found in Lucid's new midsize platform may also find its way into the Gravity to offer an even cheaper price for a lower-spec trim, but the Gravity's top models will retain the current powerful, yet compact drive units also found in the Air AWDs.
I also saw this, but I swear I've read this right when the Gravity came out. Is this truly a "new" article, or is it just republished?

I don't really disagree with that. However, Lucid teased them for so long on their website and in press materials that I got my hopes up. After all the buzz about executive recliners for the Air followed by the failure to bring them to market, I hope Lucid is not falling into a habit -- or, even worse, a cynical marketing strategy -- of teasing features they will never deliver. Leave that to Tesla. (Don't forget that early Air prototypes also displayed a switch for electrochromic glass and that power-operated doors were once promised.)

I remain almost in awe that Lucid actually over-delivered on the early promises of the really hard, really critical things such as power, range, efficiency, and space utilization. It makes it seem almost petty to tease and then fail to deliver on the more mundane things available in other cars.

P.S.:

According to CarFax, of the 2024 3-row SUVs, 43 offer a captain's chair option and 12 don't:

I have been unable to find what percentage of 3-row SUV buyers actually opt for captain's chairs when they are available. However, it's clear that most SUV manufacturers think the market for them is big enough to be worth the time and investment to develop them for their vehicles.

I understand the engineering difficulty involved in trying to build captain's chairs that can fold to continue the flat cargo floor. But I'd rather have the choice of giving up the cargo floor for captain's chairs now in the Dream Edition while it is still available, especially if it is going to have a higher-powered drivetrain than the regular production run. If a cargo floor is that important to a buyer, just opt for the bench seats.
Better than promising robotaxi in 2018 wouldn't you say? I'm sure that was the original plan but negative EV sentiment and poor sales means we can't have every candy.

I heard from a Lucid source that initial Gravity offerings will be Dream Edition, GT, and Touring. A pure variant is not part of the initial offering but will be added later. This is also supported by Peter sharing in the Morgan Stanley event today that the $80k version will not be in the initial offering. I am sure more details will be announced soon. Besides the trims, the person didn't share anything about the features of each trim.

This is also supported by Peter sharing in the Morgan Stanley event today that the $80k version will not be in the initial offering.
That's disappointing (to me personally, given household finances!), but certainly not surprising.

When the guy from Morgan Stanley heard Peter Rawlinson say that, he asked: "I'm just throwing this out there, kinda like what ... Rivian ... R1S is, in that $90, low $90s kind of thing." (Peter didn't really respond.)

That's disappointing (to me personally, given household finances!), but certainly not surprising.

When the guy from Morgan Stanley heard Peter Rawlinson say that, he asked: "I'm just throwing this out there, kinda like what ... Rivian ... R1S is, in that $90, low $90s kind of thing." (Peter didn't really respond.)
I am in a similar boat and I suspect there could be many others like us who could jump in sooner if there was a pure trim.

I am in a similar boat and I suspect there could be many others like us who could jump in sooner if there was a pure trim.
I've heard the rationale for a later release of the base trim and it kinda makes sense and yet, depending on your level of patience, it can seem like forever in waiting.

Just waiting for the pricing info is getting to me. I continually remind myself there are people who waited years for the Air to be released. My plan from the beginning was a mid to late 2025 purchase, but once Gravity is released, I'm not sure I can wait that long.

Lucid is probably counting on people like me who would consider foregoing the Pure trim for Touring. Same for each level except DE. Level up!😀

I've heard the rationale for a later release of the base trim and it kinda makes sense and yet, depending on your level of patience, it can seem like forever in waiting.
Out of curiosity, what is the generally-understood rationale for this? (Not trying to be confrontational, just curious.) Is it that they want to see first whether there is demand at a higher price point, and that they will roll out a base trim if and when the market forces them to do so?

Out of curiosity, what is the generally-understood rationale for this? (Not trying to be confrontational, just curious.) Is it that they want to see first whether there is demand at a higher price point, and that they will roll out a base trim if and when the market forces them to do so?

I think some of it has to do with reliability and service issues. Any new model, especially from a new company, is going to have some unexpected issues. Not only do such issues need to be corrected as soon as possible on the production line before too many vehicles get out into the wild, but they also can overload a service organization.

It is much better to deal with these issues on lower-volume versions that are often bought by early adopters who tend to have more tolerance for such things. This would especially be true for a mass-market SUV, many of whose buyers would be depending on the vehicle for family duty and will have very little tolerance for a high incidence of service issues.

I think some of it has to do with reliability and service issues. Any new model, especially from a new company, is going to have some unexpected issues. Not only do such issues need to be corrected as soon as possible on the production line before too many vehicles get out into the wild, but they also can overload a service organization.

It is much better to deal with these issues on lower-volume versions that are often bought by early adopters who tend to have more tolerance for such things. This would especially be true for a mass-market SUV, many of whose buyers would be depending on the vehicle for family duty and will have very little tolerance for a high incidence of service issues.
Also money. Mo money mo problems!

It might be also simply because as demand will be much higher than production at the beginning it will make much more sense to prioritize higher margin options.
Also customers, who are more sensitive to the cost, may more likely accept the need to wait more.

Also customers, who are more sensitive to the cost, may more likely accept the need to wait more.
Whether to wait longer for the base trim will probably be the question that I face. And---just to use my own family as an example---I am not sure what decision we will make.

By late 2023, we really needed to add a second car. My wife wanted it to be a 3-row SUV. We almost pulled the trigger on an EV9 this past winter/spring, in addition to having "reservations" for an R1S and an EX90. But I was able to convince my wife we could wait a little longer for an SUV, including thanks to a nice 18-month lease deal on an Air Pure.

I have been excited about Gravity ever since the teaser video nearly two years ago. But if we are facing an indefinite wait for the base trim, we will have a tough decision to make of whether to hold out or to get an EV9 or EX90, instead. (To be clear, I'm not complaining---I knew this would be a risk---and I fully agree that the Gravity will be a superior vehicle to those others.)

To tie this back to the thread topic, I would be willing to forego a lot of the exciting premium features (rear-wheel steering, air suspension, enhanced HUD, 440+ miles of range) in a base trim; all I really need is a good range figure, some towing capability, and lane keep assist).

Whether to wait longer for the base trim will probably be the question that I face. And---just to use my own family as an example---I am not sure what decision we will make.

By late 2023, we really needed to add a second car. My wife wanted it to be a 3-row SUV. We almost pulled the trigger on an EV9 this past winter/spring, in addition to having "reservations" for an R1S and an EX90. But I was able to convince my wife we could wait a little longer for an SUV, including thanks to a nice 18-month lease deal on an Air Pure.

I have been excited about Gravity ever since the teaser video nearly two years ago. But if we are facing an indefinite wait for the base trim, we will have a tough decision to make of whether to hold out or to get an EV9 or EX90, instead. (To be clear, I'm not complaining---I knew this would be a risk---and I fully agree that the Gravity will be a superior vehicle to those others.)

To tie this back to the thread topic, I would be willing to forego a lot of the exciting premium features (rear-wheel steering, air suspension, enhanced HUD, 440+ miles of range) in a base trim; all I really need is a good range figure, some towing capability, and lane keep assist).
In similar boat. I have an EX90 ready to be configured based on my pre-order but I would rather stick with Lucid as long as I am able to get it in a reasonable timeframe - for me, that is by March 25.

Back