Gravity Features

A frequent use case for our Honda minivan that a Gravity would replace is to transport 3 older couples on longish day trips. Sometimes we are only 5, but the Lucid rear seat is not really ideal for three older adults, especially with the high floorboard of the larger battery pack.

Captain's chairs would be a nice thing to offer, if done well. (Not all are, though.)

I know how complex the engineering of a new vehicle is, but the Gravity has been under development since before the Air was released. I'm a little surprised that captain's chairs are still more than a year away. They aren't exactly an all-new concept.
I think it's more of a...not as sought after option so the cost of development and integration vs a bench seat is a...it can take the backburner for now type of situation.

I think it's more of a...not as sought after option so the cost of development and integration vs a bench seat is a...it can take the backburner for now type of situation.
Agreed. Plus, these aren't off-the-shelf seats. They want them to fold flat like the bench. So that's extra engineering time, too.

All hallmarks of a smaller company that has to be super diligent with priorities and team focus.

If not having captain's chairs at launch means they launch on time, or more importantly, Midsize launches on time, so be it.

Agreed. Plus, these aren't off-the-shelf seats. They want them to fold flat like the bench. So that's extra engineering time, too.

All hallmarks of a smaller company that has to be super diligent with priorities and team focus.

If not having captain's chairs at launch means they launch on time, or more importantly, Midsize launches on time, so be it.

I don't really disagree with that. However, Lucid teased them for so long on their website and in press materials that I got my hopes up. After all the buzz about executive recliners for the Air followed by the failure to bring them to market, I hope Lucid is not falling into a habit -- or, even worse, a cynical marketing strategy -- of teasing features they will never deliver. Leave that to Tesla. (Don't forget that early Air prototypes also displayed a switch for electrochromic glass and that power-operated doors were once promised.)

I remain almost in awe that Lucid actually over-delivered on the early promises of the really hard, really critical things such as power, range, efficiency, and space utilization. It makes it seem almost petty to tease and then fail to deliver on the more mundane things available in other cars.

P.S.:

According to CarFax, of the 2024 3-row SUVs, 43 offer a captain's chair option and 12 don't:

I have been unable to find what percentage of 3-row SUV buyers actually opt for captain's chairs when they are available. However, it's clear that most SUV manufacturers think the market for them is big enough to be worth the time and investment to develop them for their vehicles.

I understand the engineering difficulty involved in trying to build captain's chairs that can fold to continue the flat cargo floor. But I'd rather have the choice of giving up the cargo floor for captain's chairs now in the Dream Edition while it is still available, especially if it is going to have a higher-powered drivetrain than the regular production run. If a cargo floor is that important to a buyer, just opt for the bench seats.

Last edited:
I don't really disagree with that. However, Lucid teased them for so long on their website and in press materials that I got my hopes up. After all the buzz about executive recliners for the Air followed by the failure to bring them to market, I hope Lucid is not falling into a habit -- or, even worse, a cynical marketing strategy -- of teasing features they will never deliver. Leave that to Tesla. (Don't forget that early Air prototypes also displayed a switch for electrochromic glass and that power-operated doors were once promised.)

I remain almost in awe that Lucid actually over-delivered on the early promises of the really hard, really critical things such as power, range, efficiency, and space utilization. It makes it seem almost petty to tease and then fail to deliver on the more mundane things available in other cars.

P.S.:

According to CarFax, of the 2024 3-row SUVs, 43 offer a captain's chair option and 12 don't:

I have been unable to find what percentage of 3-row SUV buyers actually opt for captain's chairs when they are available. However, it's clear that most SUV manufacturers think the market for them is big enough to be worth the time and investment to develop them for their vehicles.

I understand the engineering difficulty involved in trying to build captain's chairs that can fold to continue the flat cargo floor. But I'd rather have the choice of giving up the cargo floor for captain's chairs now in the Dream Edition while it is still available, especially if it is going to have a higher-powered drivetrain than the regular production run. If a cargo floor is that important to a buyer, just opt for the bench seats.
I am almost 95% sure there will be no Dream specific power train.

I agree, especially given the “800+ figure” (which tracks closely with the Air GT’s powertrain).

Does anybody know what upgrades the Dream will have over the GT other than exclusive exterior/interior bits? Also, will there be no powertrain between a Sapphire and the Dream (like the GT-P, or a “comfort oriented Sapphire”)?

I've been suspecting that for a while. Double drat.

Does anybody know what upgrades the Dream will have over the GT other than exclusive exterior/interior bits?

I'm beginning to think the Dream Edition will be a GT with all the options included as standard. There's been no teasing of unique interior or exterior colors as there was with the Air, no talk about extra power or range, and I doubt if such things as the HUD and rear-wheel steering would be confined only to a limited production run. In other words, would a fully-optioned GT be any different from a Dream Edition other than a bit of embossing on the door panels and a couple of badges?

If that's the case, it poses an interesting dilemma for me. Would it be worth it to wait until captain's chairs become available and more is known about how NACS and Lucid will mix, especially if Musk tries to play foul with Lucid? Our Honda Odyssey is in good shape, and our recent road trip charging issues have given me pause about becoming an all-EV household just yet.

On the other hand, I'm about to turn 73, and time is not my friend.

What about the features that will set this vehicle apart from all others such as air suspension, all wheel steering, torque vectoring. powertrain. range, etc? I'd like confirmation which of these will be in the Gravity.

What about the features that will set this vehicle apart from all others such as air suspension, all wheel steering, torque vectoring. powertrain. range, etc? I'd like confirmation which of these will be in the Gravity.
The main thing is power train, range, space which are superior in every category. It will have air suspension with 18 mm of travel. No torque vectoring because it's only dual motor

I think what will truly set Gravity apart is its range, space efficiency, and overall handling. Other EV-SUVs are currently available with air suspension, all-wheel steering, and torque vectoring.

I think what will truly set Gravity apart is its range, space efficiency, and overall handling. Other EV-SUVs are currently available with air suspension, all-wheel steering, and torque vectoring.

And styling. I've seen it in the flesh twice, and it is one handsome vehicle.

It has everything you mentioned, except for torque vectoring (although that will likely be in the Sapphire)!
The main thing is power train, range, space which are superior in every category. It will have air suspension with 18 mm of travel. No torque vectoring because it's only dual motor
Is the travel figure a typo? 18 mm seems extraordinarily low… 180 mm would make more sense, although almost 7 inches might be a bit too high.

It has everything you mentioned, except for torque vectoring (although that will likely be in the Sapphire)!

Is the travel figure a typo? 18 mm seems extraordinarily low… 180 mm would make more sense, although almost 7 inches might be a bit too high.
Perer said 80mm.

All wheel steering will be available but not at initial release.

All wheel steering will be available but not at initial release.

What?!

So, as well as no additional power, the Dream Edition will have neither captain's chairs nor rear-wheel steering available, with both coming later on lower trims? What about a HUD? Is that coming later, too?

I'm beginning to wonder what the point is. Maybe that's why I've seen no mention of a Gravity Dream Edition in recent Lucid communications. Maybe they're just not going to bother?

Or . . . maybe Lucid is going to release the least-expensive Gravity first? Given the pressing need to show strong sales numbers, that might actually make sense.

I hope this is a typo because it is almost nothing and much less than we were told last year at the LA auto show.
whoops yea, what Bobby said is correct =)

Or . . . maybe Lucid is going to release the least-expensive Gravity first? Given the pressing need to show strong sales numbers, that might actually make sense.

As I think further about this, maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea.

As much as I'm sure Lucid learned with the Air, there are still going to be some teething pains with the Gravity. It might be better to go through that with lower-volume models in the hands of buyers who probably have other cars and the early-adopter tolerance for glitches.

As much as I love speculation, there are some things that probably can still change between now and release. I'd say, we've waited this long, only a few more months before we get official specs of Gravity with options. Let's just wait and see officially what Gravity releases with before we all go chicken little =)

As much as I love speculation, there are some things that probably can still change between now and release. I'd say, we've waited this long, only a few more months before we get official specs of Gravity with options.
I do agree, but on the contrary, voicing our concerns about possible “issues” gives Lucid the opportunity to listen to the people who are buying the car. Therefore, even if it is speculation, voicing what we all would like for the launch Gravity would give Lucid an idea of what customers are expecting.

I do agree, but on the contrary, voicing our concerns about possible “issues” gives Lucid the opportunity to listen to the people who are buying the car. Therefore, even if it is speculation, voicing what we all would like for the launch Gravity would give Lucid an idea of what customers are expecting.
If you ever do get a chance to meet some of the Lucid team who work on these projects, they are very much in tune with what the customer wants. Peter wants to give the customer everything, perfectly working and yesterday, but everything takes time and we know perfection is the enemy of progress. There is a lot riding on Gravity and everyone I've spoken to feels the pressure of Gravity release. Will it be perfect? No. But it will still be mind-blowingly amazing.

Back