Grand Touring Tracker (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
North Bay CA? I'm in the East Bay/Tri-Valley area. No I have not seen the silver in person but I do have a tendency to buy silver cars. Have you seen the silver? Did you end up changing your color selection?
No I didn't change, kept the silver. I have seen the one in Manhattan online but I have not seen one in person. Today I called the Manhattan studio and talked to a Lucid associate, without telling them which color I had ordered I asked about the silver, they were very enthusiastic about how much they liked the silver and said if I could wait for the silver that is the color they would choose vs the other options I mentioned. For what it's worth it made me feel better about the wait.

Race between January reservation holders and early Santa Cruz holders to get the VINs first.
My money is on early Santa Cruz. Hoping to get mine mid-April.

My money is on early Santa Cruz. Hoping to get mine mid-April.
Today's Bear's Workshop seems to show only black and white grand tourings sitting unwrapped right now (I didn't see any Reds). Which means they're focusing on Santa Cruz orders before going into the January batch, or all the Reds are wrapped immediately. (All speculation)

Today's Bear's Workshop seems to show only black and white grand tourings sitting unwrapped right now (I didn't see any Reds). Which means they're focusing on Santa Cruz orders before going into the January batch, or all the Reds are wrapped immediately. (All speculation)
White Santa Cruz 19’s all the way

I hope Tourings aren't delayed till July because the 20"s are delayed till July. Lucid if you're reading this, I'm ordering the 19" so let me order early

I hope Tourings aren't delayed till July because the 20"s are delayed till July. Lucid if you're reading this, I'm ordering the 19" so let me order early
Same! Grey/Mojave, 19”, Touring here. Will gladly lock in my order immediately :)

Same! Grey/Mojave, 19”, Touring here. Will gladly lock in my order immediately :)
You made your reservation months before me so you should hear from them first. We'll see how fast they get through Tourings though, they seem to have caught up in reservations in six batches for the Grand Tourings, and the Tourings reservations is much smaller apparently.

I'm really, really worried.

I was able to test drive today. Oak Brook has a black pre-production AGT and they have just started drives.
20220319_143253.jpg

I got in the car it was reading 1.8 mi/kWh. A few minutes into the drive we reset it and at the end I had a reading of 2.1 mi/kWh. I'm really worried I won't be able to get car back. I don't think my driving was that aggressive and we reset it after I did my "acceleration" experience. We were only driving on the streets of Oak Brook. Need help.

Going from an older ICE to an EV is a learning curve. Some of the features, have a short but now I can see having long term issues with others.

Thanks to @hmp10 I didn't hit my head getting in and out. The SA and I started out in "Smooth" mode. I found the regenerative braking harder than if I hit the brakes. After about 5 minutes of driving I had it dialed in. Well, until we switched to "Swift" mode. Both in standard, the regenerative braking was FAR less in Swift than Smooth. Is it this way in production cars? I never tried "Sprint" mode since acceleration in both modes was plenty!

I'm very frustrated to have my test drive botched by inability to connect my Astell & Kern DAP to the car. My player only showed MAC addresses and never showed "Lucid xxx" as a device. The car showed my SA's phone but he did not see the car listed on his phone either. I'll chalk this up to pre-production. @copper what device did you use for you audio test, a DAP or a phone? I'll edit this post after going back and reading your detailed post.

I found the false pedal a bit large and made my left leg uncomfortable but I'm sure I'll figure that out once I settle in with my final seating position after ownership.

Adaptive cruise control, had I not had SA with me, by myself would have caused an accident. With adaptive cruise on, regenerative braking is off. That I did not know.

On this car lane keep assist was on by default.

I had no visibility issues and was able to set mirrors easily.

The 19" wheels look a lot different in person than in pictures. I'll be replacing soon after trip home is complete.

I was able to test drive today. Oak Brook has a black pre-production AGT and they have just started drives.
View attachment 1121
I got in the car it was reading 1.8 mi/kWh. A few minutes into the drive we reset it and at the end I had a reading of 2.1 mi/kWh. I'm really worried I won't be able to get car back. I don't think my driving was that aggressive and we reset it after I did my "acceleration" experience. We were only driving on the streets of Oak Brook. Need help.

Going from an older ICE to an EV is a learning curve. Some of the features, have a short but now I can see having long term issues with others.

Thanks to @hmp10 I didn't hit my head getting in and out. The SA and I started out in "Smooth" mode. I found the regenerative braking harder than if I hit the brakes. After about 5 minutes of driving I had it dialed in. Well, until we switched to "Swift" mode. Both in standard, the regenerative braking was FAR less in Swift than Smooth. Is it this way in production cars? I never tried "Sprint" mode since acceleration in both modes was plenty!

I'm very frustrated to have my test drive botched by inability to connect my Astell & Kern DAP to the car. My player only showed MAC addresses and never showed "Lucid xxx" as a device. The car showed my SA's phone but he did not see the car listed on his phone either. I'll chalk this up to pre-production. @copper what device did you use for you audio test, a DAP or a phone? I'll edit this post after going back and reading your detailed post.

I found the false pedal a bit large and made my left leg uncomfortable but I'm sure I'll figure that out once I settle in with my final seating position after ownership.

Adaptive cruise control, had I not had SA with me, by myself would have caused an accident. With adaptive cruise on, regenerative braking is off. That I did not know.

The 19" wheels look a lot different in person than in pictures. I'll be replacing soon after trip home is complete.

Great insight. I’m in Chicago, hoping to get a test drive eventually (GTs get priority), I’ll keep an eye out for potential changes from today till then.

View attachment 1121

I think you probably have to reset your expectation on the mi/kwh. Because the Air is such a heavy vehicle, you are actually getting less range in the city than on highway by a lot.

ACC means you should never have to brake at all.

• I connected my M1 MacBook Air via Bluetooth. The car had to set it as both phone and audio device to connect properly (this is a Bluetooth config bug that happens in some firmware) as leaving it in audio only would not let it connect. I think you’ll need to initiate the connection from the Air as it was not discoverable for me when connecting, but the car saw my laptop without issue.
  • Previous drives probably dragged down the consumption figure. Test drives are not known for being conservative with acceleration :)
  • Not sure why you need regen in ACC - the car is handling braking. What caused an issue for you?

I think you probably have to reset your expectation on the mi/kwh. Because the Air is such a heavy vehicle, you are actually getting less range in the city than on highway by a lot.

The highest range we've seen so far for an extended run (3.1 m/kWh) was on a trip across Florida on empty rural roads where we drove fairly consistently between 80-90 mph. It's the first EV I've encountered in which the efficiency is considerably higher on the highway than in mixed driving. Lucid (and the EPA results) claimed as much, but I hadn't really believed it.

Our Dream P w/ 21" wheels is EPA-rated at 3.9 m/kWh. Getting 79% of EPA range at those speeds is actually quite remarkable.

The highest range we've seen so far for an extended run (3.1 m/kWh) was on a trip across Florida on empty rural roads where we drove fairly consistently between 80-90 mph. It's the first EV I've encountered in which the efficiency is considerably higher on the highway than in mixed driving. Lucid (and the EPA results) claimed as much, but I hadn't really believed it.

Our Dream P w/ 21" wheels is EPA-rated at 3.9 m/kWh. Getting 79% of EPA range at those speeds is actually quite remarkable.
Yep, exactly why during test drives efficiency is really low.

Thanks everyone!

ACC means you should never have to brake at all.
Many of the roads we are planning are two lane with posted speed from 45 to mostly 55 in Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. Once we start I think we're committed to the trip. Has @Bill55 made his trip yet? I may have missed posts.

• I connected my M1 MacBook Air via Bluetooth. The car had to set it as both phone and audio device to connect properly (this is a Bluetooth config bug that happens in some firmware) as leaving it in audio only would not let it connect. I think you’ll need to initiate the connection from the Air as it was not discoverable for me when connecting, but the car saw my laptop without issue.
  • Previous drives probably dragged down the consumption figure. Test drives are not known for being conservative with acceleration :)
  • Not sure why you need regen in ACC - the car is handling braking. What caused an issue for you?
It was actually conditions that are not likely to occur again but it's good to know. I engaged ACC to see how it worked and soon after the SA wanted me to exit. I sped up to get over to exit but no regen to slow to exit. I just hit the brake.

I've already shared my disappointment about lack of wired connection...

Taking delivery on 19" getting 3.1 at higher speeds than I should be able to do out west is giving me comfort, thanks again.

Thanks everyone!

Many of the roads we are planning are two lane with posted speed from 45 to mostly 55 in Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. Once we start I think we're committed to the trip. Has @Bill55 made his trip yet? I may have missed posts.

It was actually conditions that are not likely to occur again but it's good to know. I engaged ACC to see how it worked and soon after the SA wanted me to exit. I sped up to get over to exit but no regen to slow to exit. I just hit the brake.

I've already shared my disappointment about lack of wired connection...

Taking delivery on 19" getting 3.1 at higher speeds than I should be able to do out west is giving me comfort, thanks again.
Was there a car in front at the exit? It would have slowed down eventually if ACC was still engaged as you were exiting but that would probably be a bit scary...🤣:eek:

View attachment 1121

Could you please point me to the advice on not hitting your head. I have that issue.

Could you please point me to the advice on not hitting your head. I have that issue.

I've posted a good bit on this issue. It seems that repeated entry and exit of the car eventually triggers the formation of motor memory that allows you to contort your head and neck unconsciously so as to avoid hitting your head. In my case, I either hit my head or had to pay careful attention not to every time I got into or out of the front or back seats at a Design Studio. (I made four visits to two Design Studios while waiting for our car.) For the first couple of weeks after delivery, I found it seemed easier to avoid bumping my head, but I still had to pay attention. Then, somehow I was no longer hitting my head or paying any attention to what I was doing upon entry or exit.

I think whether or not one has to grapple with this is highly specific to the individual. We took several friends along for our visits to the Design Studios, and some had the same difficulties I did while others claimed to have little issue. Short though I am, I find the backseat particularly difficult in terms of entry and exit. Yet the first time Sandy Munro saw a Lucid Air, he got in and out of the backseat during a running commentary without seemingly paying the least attention to what he was doing. I replayed the segment several times, and easy entry and exit seemed to come naturally to him.

All I can recommend is patience.

Last edited:
I've posted a good bit on this issue. It seems that repeated entry and exit of the car eventually triggers the formation of motor memory that allows you to contort your head and neck unconsciously so as to avoid hitting your head. In my case, I either hit my head or had to pay careful attention not to every time I got into or out of the front or back seats at a Design Studio. (I made four visits to two Design Studios while waiting for our car.) For the first couple of weeks after delivery, I found it seemed easier to avoid bumping my head, but I still had to pay attention. Then, somehow I was no longer hitting my head or paying any attention to what I was doing upon entry or exit.

I think whether or not one has to grapple with this is highly specific to the individual. We took several friends along for our visits to the Design Studios, and some had the same difficulties I did while others claimed to have little issue. Short though I am, I find the backseat particularly difficult in terms of entry and exit. Yet the first time Sandy Munro saw a Lucid Air, he got in and out the backseat during a running commentary without seemingly paying the least attention to what he was doing. I replayed the segment several times, and easy entry and exit seemed to come naturally to him.

All I can recommend is patience.
Well put.

As a reference, I’m 6’3” and a bit of a tank. I was at the Millbrae vip opening where I spent ~30min with the car inside, also did a ride along, have since gone on three drives of the Air and also met up with @borski for the surreal sound test. I noticed the a-pillar the first time and wondered if it would be an issue, but every subsequent drive experience has been seamless for entry/egress. I also love how they padded it.

I think everyone except people with severe chronic neck issues will be absolutely fine. It’s one of those things that may seem problematic but disappears in daily use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back