Grand Touring Deliveries?

I think most of us should realize that we are regression testers. Not beta but definitely regression testers. If any early lucid buyers don't realize that I would feel sorry for their life expectations. That said, physical car and software are 2 very different animals. As someone very much involved in software I know the process well. There are companies (large ones not dinky ones) that you would think knows the software roll out process but are shockingly bad at it. Bad decisions are almost always driven by upper mgmt with no software experience demanding a rollout so developers say ok all these bugs are being delivered with the next package because the senior president said roll it out next Friday or else. With all of that said, I have been watching Lucids update rollout like a hawk both as a GT reserver and LCID investor. I am so impressed by them atm. Very high faith in their products because they are clearly following long standing best practices and mgmt from upper to mid tier understands it.

I wouldn't want the physical part of the car to be 90% complete it should be 99% and I think so far lucid has met that. Software should be 95% in terms of the safety portion and 85% in the initial functionality. No company in the world can deliver full package software at 90% in version 1.0 its just impossible because of combinations of real world factors, resource limits including lack of good engineers, testers and project managers. Personally, for a$140k car I welcome the beef stew approach slow and methodic.

Can you give examples of how Lucid has followed best practices? I’m very curious about what they’re doing right, as we’ve seen plenty of examples of what’s gone wrong.

I just cancelled my GT a few days ago. I was told that if I confirmed the order that my $1000 deposit would no longer be possible to get refunded if they have production issues and I decide to cancel later. I was seeing too many bugs in the first received Dream Edition units that I did not feel secure with my purchase. As a shareholder I am also concerned that they still have not acknowledged the promised Dream units that were supposed to ship by the end of Q4. I feel like they are having a hard time completing the Dream orders let alone start the GT's.
I'm excited to be apart of the start up car company like this!
We should not be looking to buy a car from a start up car company and expect perfection!
Poor Tesla 14 years in still has MAJOR fit and finish problems.

Just my thoughts

I'm excited to be apart of the start up car company like this!
We should not be looking to buy a car from a start up car company and expect perfection!
Poor Tesla 14 years in still has MAJOR fit and finish problems.

Just my thoughts
^^^ This.

Buying the first car from a brand new company is not for everyone. It's not unreasonable to expect near perfection from a legacy automaker at these price points and if you want near perfection those are really the options you should be looking at.

Lucid Airs are a unique opportunity that come with a price (not as in cash). If that price is acceptable mentally and financially, enjoy the ride.

It absolutely isn't everybody's cup of tea and those people deserve to take advantage of other options that will meet their needs, wants, and desires.

It's just going to enhance my enjoyment of the car even more early on being one of the early adopters. It's like having a Tesla 10 years ago when they were unique and rare.

Last edited:
^^^ This.

Buying the first car from a brand new company is not for everyone. It's not unreasonable to expect near perfection from a legacy automaker at these price points and if you want near perfection those are really the options you should be looking at.

Lucid Airs are a unique opportunity that come with a price (not as in cash). If that price is acceptable mentally and financially, enjoy the ride.

It absolutely isn't everybody's cup of tea and those people deserve to take advantage of other options that will meet their needs, wants, and desires.

It's just going to enhance my enjoyment of the car even more early on being one of the early adopters. It's like having a Tesla 10 years ago when they were unique and rare.
I AGREE 100%

^^^ This.

If you want perfection get the Rolls Royce Spectre.

Can you give examples of how Lucid has followed best practices? I’m very curious about what they’re doing right, as we’ve seen plenty of examples of what’s gone wrong.
Most of it can be gleemed from release notes. While any company can put out tidy release notes you can usually separate those that talk the talk and those that follow with consistent versioning and putting correct info into the appropriate version. It's a small thing that speaks volume for those who know what they are doing. Next you read through the notes on what was worked on from 1 release to the next. The worrying trend word be fixes that didn't quite get fixed and appear again and again in releases. That's a indication of a company testing infrastructure quality. Lack of automated testing or not enough layers of tests. Then it's volume of release updates and types. For this new car that was released very recently, lucid is tackling unreleased features which means that they have sufficient resources to handle new problems found by customers. ie not more than they anticipated. The releases are not coming in massive waves (every few days). So this is telling me that they are still in control. I have worked at really bad software companies and the release notes would have told you what a chit show the place is. I have read release notes that sounded like a 3rd grader wrote them. The fixes they have done so far is nothing to me from the perspective of a developer and still in line with good software "especially" for a colossally complex 1st product. I had expected significantly more complex bugs.

It goes both ways - confirming get you into the locked price - you can always defer the delivery. A friend of mine wants to buy Tesla Y for his wife, but keeps on waiting for the "possible tax relief". Price has gone up almost $10K since he first looked at the car and now. He asked to buy my MYP once I pick up my GT (I got my MYP in those rare Q4 2020 at which Tesla cut-price & Cali has $1500 tax credit, same config would cost $12K more today).

FYI, when I ordered my MYP less than 2 years ago, the price of tesla model S was only $72K (and that was after a $3K increase). The cheapest S now is $95K. Given the shortage of chips & material needed for EV, I can't imagine price of EV would drop, unless manufactures reduce the content of the cars
The stock market is crazy right now because largely of the 7% inflation and chip shortage. At the start of the chip shortage I asked lucid how they were able to fulfill the reservations. They told me that someone high up had the smarts to secure the chips they needed well before the shortage began to satisfy the first 20k cars. After that I'm guessing prices for everything will go up. Purely on aspect of money I think buying now is better than later. At least through 2023 when inflation and chip shortage is likely to ease.

I’ve just received a call from Tony, my delivery advisor, to inform me that my GT VIN should be available by early March. I have the quantum grey on order. He also confirmed that GT production has started.
When did you place your order? You are in the same confirmation batch as I am.

1644856942713.png

Interesting they're saying Touring in Q2 when haven't even delivered 1 Grand Touring yet..

View attachment 822

Interesting they're saying Touring in Q2 when haven't even delivered 1 Grand Touring yet..
That is because they do not have all that many AGTs. They can probably foresee that at their current output, they will complete all AGT deliveries by, say late May. Therefore they are confident on Tourings by the end of Q2.

As a Touring reservation holder, I was told, as a ballpark guesstimate, Q2 2022 in fall 2021 at a Lucid retail location. Surprised they haven't revised their estimate.

At 2-4 months from order to delivery, they ought to be asking me to confirm my reservation pretty soon...but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Back