Grand Touring Deliveries?

When was your confirmation date?

I’ve just received a call from Tony, my delivery advisor, to inform me that my GT VIN should be available by early March. I have the quantum grey on order. He also confirmed that GT production has started.
That is great news! I also have a Quantum Grey GT confirmed on 11/30 too. Haven’t heard that from my DA yet.

Sounds like GT buyers are/will be getting their VINs roughly 3 months after confirming their orders.
They must be picking up the speed since the 11/2 confirmations are past 3 months And will be closer to 4 (or missing the window late).

Bear's Workshop posted an extra picture today, up 14 cars from yesterday's total car count (not 100% of actual new cars, they may have been more), however, some of the new cars are Dream Editions which is worrisome.

I just cancelled my GT a few days ago. I was told that if I confirmed the order that my $1000 deposit would no longer be possible to get refunded if they have production issues and I decide to cancel later. I was seeing too many bugs in the first received Dream Edition units that I did not feel secure with my purchase. As a shareholder I am also concerned that they still have not acknowledged the promised Dream units that were supposed to ship by the end of Q4. I feel like they are having a hard time completing the Dream orders let alone start the GT's.

I just cancelled my GT a few days ago. I was told that if I confirmed the order that my $1000 deposit would no longer be possible to get refunded if they have production issues and I decide to cancel later. I was seeing too many bugs in the first received Dream Edition units that I did not feel secure with my purchase. As a shareholder I am also concerned that they still have not acknowledged the promised Dream units that were supposed to ship by the end of Q4. I feel like they are having a hard time completing the Dream orders let alone start the GT's.
The thought of cancelling my GT order is still bouncing around my head. I'm going to wait till end of Mar or VIN assignment (whichever is earlier) to make a final decision that will be based on feedback from this forum. I will lose $1000 but I will not be Lucid's beta tester - not for the price I'm paying for this car.

Troll Alert! @tmilone103. Why all those negative made-up stories and comments? Looks like a shorty in disguise to me.

I have no reason to troll anyone... I have been completely honest with my opinion and views. I was real excited at first and have been following this company a long time but my excitement has been fading over the past several weeks. I am not saying that I will not order one again in the future after the bugs get worked out but I don't want to be a Beta Tester and I am seeing lots of issues and there are only what 300 cars delivered?. I already was a Beta Tester when I bought my first Model S and I waited years for issues and features that were promised at purchase to get delivered.

Last edited:
@tmilone103 You don't have to prove anything to anyone, feel free to delete that (if you want) as it contains personal information.

I think people drank Peter's Kool Aid too much and believed Lucid was going to do it better than players 10 years to 100 years old. He's really got no one to blame but himself for now looking like a fool with the missed deliveries etc. but these Execs have a job to do and it's to hype up a company to increase demand. If ANYONE thought Lucid was going to nail it on its first 520 or even 5000 vehicles for that matter they should just look at history to know it was never going to be smooth.

This is a brand new car from a brand new company and if you're not a risk taker then I would strongly advise you stay away from any of the new players like Lucid, Rivian, Fisker etc. because you'll be disappointed in those companies also if you jump on the early adopter bandwagon.

A lot of new vehicles have similar issues today as more and more tech is added. Even new EV's from legacy automakers. The ID.4, E-tron, Mach-E have all had issues at launch. The ID.4 was delayed 6 months because of software issues, and the UI is still complete garbage. The Taycan (which I own) launch had it's share of problems and quality issues including vehicles completely dying on the road and needing to be towed to a dealership. The new Model S (which I considered) has had some serious software and quality issues as well. The Model S launched with incomplete software and many features missing. At least a dozen members on the Tesla forum have required battery replacements on new Plaids with several now going through the buy-back process.

Unfortunately if you want the latest and greatest tech, it comes with early adopter trade-offs. There really isn't much that directly compares to the Lucid Air at the moment. Nothing comes close in terms of the range, charging speed, horsepower, and luxury in one package and most likely it will be several years before anything else competes.

My suggestion is wait until the second year of production if you don't want to deal with the software and early adopter issues or buy a legacy brand with an internal combustion engine. The problem is any legacy options will feel like a dinosaur (no pun intended) at this point.

Read this thread on the new Model S issues if you want a taste.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/2021-model-s-and-model-s-plaid-refresh-issues-thread.232656/

A lot of new vehicles have similar issues today as more and more tech is added. Even new EV's from legacy automakers. The ID.4, E-tron, Mach-E have all had issues at launch. The ID.4 was delayed 6 months because of software issues, and the UI is still complete garbage. The Taycan (which I own) launch had it's share of problems and quality issues including vehicles completely dying on the road and needing to be towed to a dealership. The new Model S (which I considered) has had some serious software and quality issues as well. The Model S launched with incomplete software and many features missing. At least a dozen members on the Tesla forum have required battery replacements on new Plaids with several now going through the buy-back process.

Unfortunately if you want the latest and greatest tech, it comes with early adopter trade-offs. There really isn't much that directly compares to the Lucid Air at the moment. Nothing comes close in terms of the range, charging speed, horsepower, and luxury in one package and most likely it will be several years before anything else competes.

My suggestion is wait until the second year of production if you don't want to deal with the software and early adopter issues or buy a legacy brand with an internal combustion engine. The problem is any legacy options will feel like a dinosaur (no pun intended) at this point.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/2021-model-s-and-model-s-plaid-refresh-issues-thread.232656/
To this point, I have a 2019 e-Tron that to this day Audi has really done nothing to fix on the software side (they've clearly addressed in the newer models but left early adopters for dead). Issues in the car from day 1 are still in the car today so can you get annoyed at Lucid for releasing shitty software? Yes, but at least they're actively pushing out updates to fix it. 3 months and Lucid has released 8 to 10 OTA updates compared to 4 I've gotten with Audi in 3 years that have done nothing to fix the issues i've had.

I agree, I think with any new EV and even worse with a new EV company you will be "beta" testing. The question really is, when would you consider it no longer beta testing? I think it's a REALLY gray area especially when so much of the problem is with software, but if software is always changing and evolving, I feel like we are already at the point where a certain amount of testing is inevitable and already accepted by customers for every brand.

I agree, I think with any new EV and even worse with a new EV company you will be "beta" testing. The question really is, when would you consider it no longer beta testing? I think it's a REALLY gray area especially when so much of the problem is with software, but if software is always changing and evolving, I feel like we are already at the point where a certain amount of testing is inevitable and already accepted by customers for every brand.
+1 to this.

To each their own as to what they do or don't want to take in terms of risks on a car. I for one am unwilling to take a risk on Tesla with frequently poor build quality and perpetually beta software (FSD may be improving, but it isn't close to living up to the hype). Tesla also lacks feature parity with cars 2/3 the price and overstates range by a substantial margin (the Supercharger network is excellent though). Originally I expected to get an EQS or Taycan, but the Lucid is much more livable than the Taycan and a vastly better driver's car than the Tesla or EQS, and has every single feature that matters to me. In the end, it was easy.

But, I'm not everyone and people all have their own priorities that matter to them. The nature of the product from a car company has shifted from a generationally designed (maybe refreshed) platform with fixed options and predictable features into a more work-in-progress experience of mobility. Tesla really did turn the entire car industry on its ear by making the product evolve over time after you've bought it, and that is becoming rule instead of the exception (every other automaker now is "pushing OTA" as a feature). We're not going to get the "perfect out-of-the-box" car experience any longer because that is no longer the product automakers produce.

Some people will cancel, most will not, Lucid will produce a product that really nails the hardware but has a lot of room to improve on the software, and life will go on.

I think most of us should realize that we are regression testers. Not beta but definitely regression testers. If any early lucid buyers don't realize that I would feel sorry for their life expectations. That said, physical car and software are 2 very different animals. As someone very much involved in software I know the process well. There are companies (large ones not dinky ones) that you would think knows the software roll out process but are shockingly bad at it. Bad decisions are almost always driven by upper mgmt with no software experience demanding a rollout so developers say ok all these bugs are being delivered with the next package because the senior president said roll it out next Friday or else. With all of that said, I have been watching Lucids update rollout like a hawk both as a GT reserver and LCID investor. I am so impressed by them atm. Very high faith in their products because they are clearly following long standing best practices and mgmt from upper to mid tier understands it.

I wouldn't want the physical part of the car to be 90% complete it should be 99% and I think so far lucid has met that. Software should be 95% in terms of the safety portion and 85% in the initial functionality. No company in the world can deliver full package software at 90% in version 1.0 its just impossible because of combinations of real world factors, resource limits including lack of good engineers, testers and project managers. Personally, for a$140k car I welcome the beef stew approach slow and methodic.

I think most of us should realize that we are regression testers. Not beta but definitely regression testers. If any early lucid buyers don't realize that I would feel sorry for their life expectations. That said, physical car and software are 2 very different animals. As someone very much involved in software I know the process well. There are companies (large ones not dinky ones) that you would think knows the software roll out process but are shockingly bad at it. Bad decisions are almost always driven by upper mgmt with no software experience demanding a rollout so developers say ok all these bugs are being delivered with the next package because the senior president said roll it out next Friday or else. With all of that said, I have been watching Lucids update rollout like a hawk both as a GT reserver and LCID investor. I am so impressed by them atm. Very high faith in their products because they are clearly following long standing best practices and mgmt from upper to mid tier understands it.
Oh man, I know how it goes, same as you.

So far the pace of improvements is solid. Could be better, but they're really consumed with the production ramp-up and have a unholy-crap-ton of headcount for SWE and other eng roles. Just look at the volume of heads in data/connectivity for example. If recruiting comes even close to hitting their hiring goals, Lucid will have a ton of people working on improving the product. They need only execute consistently and at a high level of quality - a challenge, but very much within their ability.

The thought of cancelling my GT order is still bouncing around my head. I'm going to wait till end of Mar or VIN assignment (whichever is earlier) to make a final decision that will be based on feedback from this forum. I will lose $1000 but I will not be Lucid's beta tester - not for the price I'm paying for this car.

It goes both ways - confirming get you into the locked price - you can always defer the delivery. A friend of mine wants to buy Tesla Y for his wife, but keeps on waiting for the "possible tax relief". Price has gone up almost $10K since he first looked at the car and now. He asked to buy my MYP once I pick up my GT (I got my MYP in those rare Q4 2020 at which Tesla cut-price & Cali has $1500 tax credit, same config would cost $12K more today).

FYI, when I ordered my MYP less than 2 years ago, the price of tesla model S was only $72K (and that was after a $3K increase). The cheapest S now is $95K. Given the shortage of chips & material needed for EV, I can't imagine price of EV would drop, unless manufactures reduce the content of the cars

Last edited:
It goes both ways - confirming get you into the locked price - you can always defer the delivery. A friend of my, wanting to buy Tesla Y for his wife, but keeps on waiting for the "possible tax relief". Price has gone up almost $10K since he first looked at the car and now. He asked to buy my MYP once I pick up my GT (I got my MYP in those rare Q4 2020 at which Tesla cut price & Cali has $1500 tax credit, same config would cost $12K more today)
Yeah, that is something I'll certainly consider doing (deferring). I really do not mind waiting an additional 2 months (beyond May) if I have to. I confirmed my GT on Jan-5th. It's not like I have too many options - it's this or Tesla.

Oh man, I know how it goes, same as you.

So far the pace of improvements is solid. Could be better, but they're really consumed with the production ramp-up and have a unholy-crap-ton of headcount for SWE and other eng roles. Just look at the volume of heads in data/connectivity for example. If recruiting comes even close to hitting their hiring goals, Lucid will have a ton of people working on improving the product. They need only execute consistently and at a high level of quality - a challenge, but very much within their ability.

Speaking as an owner: the car is spectacular, and is clearly the best car I’ve ever driven (of many). The software needs works but isn’t unusable. It’s 80-90% there. I suspect that by mid-year I’ll have very few complaints on the software front.

Build quality and ride/handling? 10/10
Service? 10/10
Software? 6-7/10 today, probably 9/10 6 months from now.

Back