Frequent DC fast charging: probably OK!

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
Interesting study from Recurring Auto of 12500 Tesla cars showing no significant difference in battery degradation with time for mostly DC fast charging vs mostly Level 2 AC charging.

So far I have almost never charged at home despite the fact I have the LCHCS installed. Local free charging has been fairly reliable and my trip over the last four days to southern CA and back (about 700 miles total) went off without a hitch. Charged on the way down at Paso Robles while eating lunch; then a couple of days later at Oxnard Collection; and last charge on the way home at Pismo Beach Outlets. Mostly charged to 85%.

this confirms the study published by Idaho National Laboratory.

"After all four test cars had been driven for 50,000 miles, the Level 2 cars had lost around 23 percent of their original battery capacity, while the Level 3 cars were down by around 27 percent. The 2012 Leaf had an average range of 73 miles, which means these numbers represent a difference of around just three miles on a charge."

this confirms the study published by Idaho National Laboratory.
Different battery chemistry, and certainly better thermal management on modern EVs compared to those Leafs, but it is very good to see similar results.

Different battery chemistry, and certainly better thermal management on modern EVs compared to those Leafs, but it is very good to see similar results.

Similarly to VW Beetle that did not have a liquid cooling system for its engine, Nissan Leaf doesn't have one for its battery.

So if the results from Nissan Leaf are bad, they should be excluded due to the old ways of using ambient air to cool down.

Interesting study from Recurring Auto

Ah,but Deano, (sorry 😀) I read the verbiage and entire report from Recurring Auto. Well and carefully written. Not the simplified conclusions from insideevs.com. The actual study said they have not found statically significant differences in SOC from level 2 to 3. But it never said it was advised or was factually safe or in the long term best health for the pack to do constant DCFC. And they did not recommend high speed charging all the time. The lack of SOC significant degradation is but one data point. We are no where near the EOL for the modern BEV packs installed since about 2015 onward. I believe we are still in the infancy of auto batteries. I cannot wait to what they are made of 5 or 10 years from now.

And perhaps I am just an old fart. I have spent decades working on circuits that slowly ramp up current. Soft start.

Remember when asbestos, 2,4,5-T -agent orange, tetra ethyl lead, Thalidomide, Vioxx, aluminum wiring, were all PROVEN, at first, to be perfectly safe. Right.

Back