Edmunds EV charging speeds

chinesejpl

Cars
Air GT

Interesting article about REAL WORLD charging speeds for different EVs. The data I find most helpful to me is how fast a car can add 100 real world miles (rather than 100 miles that the car says it adds but may only represent 70 driven miles). Although I'm disappointed to see lucid so far down the list, I'd have to admit that this has been my experience with my AGT. What I wasn't aware of is the 11% energy loss I was incurring even when DC fast charging! It's one of the highest losses for any of the cars they tested. The Porsche taycan can charge 100 real world miles almost 3min faster than lucid which is pretty big (17min vs 23min to get to 200 miles). I know people will argue that lucid knows what they're doing and are aiming for longer battery longevity but if the average customer keeps their car for 4-5 years then does that customer actually care? I doubt I will keep my AGT longer than 4-5y!

The problem with tests like these that on a long road trip if you pitted all the cars against each other, starting at 100% SOC, I'd almost guarantee that the Lucid will get to your destination first I before anything else above it. Also, something seems super suspect, there is no way that somehow Tesla defied the laws of physics and is able to get sub1% charging losses. It's impossible.

I agree that the article seems fair except for the fact that they tested several versions of the Taycan even with diff wheels and only have a Lucid Air GT with no mention of wheels. I wonder how each Lucid model with diff wheels would do?

My understanding is unless the charger supports the native voltage in the battery pack, it has to covert the voltage which adds significant loss in the charging process. It also slows the charge rate down. Many chargers cannot provide 900 Volts necessary to avoid the conversion.

If the charger can provide 900 Volts, and it isn't broken (imagine that), you should see this kind of result:

Miles Of Range Added150 kW Station350 kW Station
100 miles (161 km)9 minutes5.5 minutes
200 miles (322 km)18 minutes12 minutes
300 miles (483 km)28 minutes22 minutes
400 miles (644 km)43 minutes37 minutes
500 miles (805 km)88 minutes82 minutes

My understanding is unless the charger supports the native voltage in the battery pack, it has to covert the voltage which adds significant loss in the charging process. It also slows the charge rate down. Many chargers cannot provide 900 Volts necessary to avoid the conversion.

If the charger can provide 900 Volts, and it isn't broken (imagine that), you should see this kind of result:

Miles Of Range Added150 kW Station350 kW Station
100 miles (161 km)9 minutes5.5 minutes
200 miles (322 km)18 minutes12 minutes
300 miles (483 km)28 minutes22 minutes
400 miles (644 km)43 minutes37 minutes
500 miles (805 km)88 minutes82 minutes

Technically yes but the DE has different batteries than AGT/other air models and I've never been able to charge at speeds that the DE has (nor have I been able to achieve the kind of efficiency that DE cars tested at have)

Technically yes but the DE has different batteries than AGT/other air models and I've never been able to charge at speeds that the DE has (nor have I been able to achieve the kind of efficiency that DE cars tested at have)
Are you sure you have used chargers that can provide 900V? The losses will come in when the car converts the voltage. If there is no conversion, DCFC efficiency should be very high. I don't think 1000V chargers are very common yet.

Are you sure you have used chargers that can provide 900V? The losses will come in when the car converts the voltage. If there is no conversion, DCFC efficiency should be very high. I don't think 1000V chargers are very common yet.
I doubt I have as the best chargers I've had available are Electricify Canada which are 350 kw but not sure what voltage is

I doubt I have as the best chargers I've had available are Electricify Canada which are 350 kw but not sure what voltage is

That is probably the reason. I think the charger cabinet often has a label that provides the max voltage and current. You could look next time to see if that is the case.

Back