First time seeing Volta charging network

Tesla2.0

Referral Code - F0ZQ8SWA
Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
F0ZQ8SWA
Tonight I took my family to watch Avatar 2 and found a different charging network in AMC theater. What a great idea to give customers 2~3 hours free charge while watching movie or go to mall. It seems advertisers on the big screen pays for electricity.
98BB575E-693D-420D-8F7B-B192EEBE7CD3.jpeg
8552FC44-3869-42B6-82AD-C788D530F7EC.png

yes, super cool idea and they even have some free L3 chargers!

I tried the free Level 3 charger twice. Works right away, did it have to unplug and retry like I gad to with EA. Only 30 min free at 50kW

I tried the free Level 3 charger twice. Works right away, did it have to unplug and retry like I gad to with EA. Only 30 min free at 50kW
25kW in 30 min is quick and sweet for going in and out of stores. Even after free period, they are reasonable price. When we see more of these in coming years, ICE drivers would be very jelly.

25kW in 30 min is quick and sweet for going in and out of stores. Even after free period, they are reasonable price. When we see more of these in coming years, ICE drivers would be very jelly.
Yes, completely agree. Getting charge started was pretty painless.

Tried a Volta DC fast charger today. No luck. Volta app said "charging started", but my AT said "charging stopped".

Tonight I took my family to watch Avatar 2 and found a different charging network in AMC theater. What a great idea to give customers 2~3 hours free charge while watching movie or go to mall. It seems advertisers on the big screen pays for electricity.View attachment 8504View attachment 8503
Folks, enjoy it while you can. I know a friend who actually works there and based on everything that he's said, it's a question of "when" and not "if" this company is going to fold. They have already had rounds of layoffs and to summarize what he told me:
1. The business model (advertising based) is simply not sustainable.
2. The company overall is very poorly run.

I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Folks, enjoy it while you can. I know a friend who actually works there and based on everything that he's said, it's a question of "when" and not "if" this company is going to fold. They have already had rounds of layoffs and to summarize what he told me:

Yes. I can’t imagine that the “advertising for free electricity” business model is going to work long term. In fact, I cannot tell you what ads are even on the Volta station that is closest to me.

Looks like you were right. Hope they keep them free or open

Seems like a good deal for Shell.

Whether they do or don’t, I’m all for a big company like Shell competing with EA and the rest. I’m actually impressed Shell is seeing the future, unlike Chevron and the rest.

Whether they do or don’t, I’m all for a big company like Shell competing with EA and the rest. I’m actually impressed Shell is seeing the future, unlike Chevron and the rest.
Was told that 76, Conoco, and others have also been looking into this space.

We have a couple of these Volta chargers at one of our Giant grocery stores nearby. I might swing by tomorrow with my big ole ICE XJ and have a look at them. I'm curious about this brand and hope the rumors of them folding aren't true.

Tonight I took my family to watch Avatar 2 and found a different charging network in AMC theater. What a great idea to give customers 2~3 hours free charge while watching movie or go to mall. It seems advertisers on the big screen pays for electricity.View attachment 8504View attachment 8503
We had a similar situation at a nearby Cinemark Theater in McKinney, TX. They offered free L2 charging up to 3 hours. Slow but worked the first time! It was interesting in that the other three vehicles juicing up were all Tesla EVs. Thought they had their own network!

It was interesting in that the other three vehicles juicing up were all Tesla EVs. Thought they had their own network!
They do, but it’s not free which is why you will see them tying up any spot that offers free charging.

Back