Face recognition?

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
During initial setup of my car at Millbrae, we stored my face in my profile. However, the car doesn't seem to recognize me (car stays on my wife's profile if she opens the passenger door and sits down before I get in), even if I can wedge myself into the driver's seat and patiently wait. I've tried storing my face again, but always get a red X after several seconds - can't store. Is this working well for most people?

For me yes, everytime I get in the car now, it shows a face and a second later gives me a green check mark

It’s very hit or miss for me. My biggest problem is that it doesn’t switch to my profile before I get in.

so I always have to squeeze myself into the seat, hit the brake or shut the door before it sometimes will figure out it’s me and start moving things.

I really miss the memory buttons on the door my 2014 Kia has 🥲

I am getting the green check mark half of the time and a red X the others. Bug in the 2.0 software ,I believe. Been reported by me but if others are having it, please let Lucid know.

I am getting the green check mark half of the time and a red X the others. Bug in the 2.0 software ,I believe. Been reported by me but if others are having it, please let Lucid know.
Did you delete your face and add it back with the same issue?

I'll try that today. I also managed to misprogram my homelink so that both garage doors open on one button. So a couple car tasks to do this morning after I button up my charging station and see if it works. ;)

I deleted the face appearance we programmed when I picked up the car and tried to re-program again. The scan always fails. Will check with service.

I deleted the face appearance we programmed when I picked up the car and tried to re-program again. The scan always fails. Will check with service.
Move your steering wheel all the way down first sometimes it blocks the camera

Move your steering wheel all the way down first sometimes it blocks the camera
This is my view of the panel with camera lens at eye level. Looks ok?

Attachments

• IMG_20221027_143052_01.jpg
    IMG_20221027_143052_01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
This is my view of the panel with camera lens at eye level. Looks ok?
Looks like it's blocked actually.

Scan failing is almost certainly because the camera can't see you. A new scan usually takes under 3 seconds.
Just for now, see if you can lower the wheel to the point where your eyes can see the bottom of the IR sensor housing (just a bit, maybe 1", under the red light visible in your photo).

I have to drive with the wheel a little lower than I like for the same reason but you get used to it quick and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Looks like it's blocked actually...
That was it, thanks! For some reason I thought that the sensor was in the bottom bezel of the display. Would be better if it were on top of the steering column, or on front of the display bottom bezel. There are a lot of things fighting to see or be seen through the top half of the steering wheel.

That was it, thanks! For some reason I thought that the sensor was in the bottom bezel of the display. Would be better if it were on top of the steering column, or on front of the display bottom bezel. There are a lot of things fighting to see or be seen through the top half of the steering wheel.
Glad it worked!

It’s honestly a difficult thing to get right for everyone. I can’t say they made a big mistake.

Some cars have these on the steering wheel, while others have them on either side of the primary display.

Looks like it's blocked actually.

Scan failing is almost certainly because the camera can't see you. A new scan usually takes under 3 seconds.
Just for now, see if you can lower the wheel to the point where your eyes can see the bottom of the IR sensor housing (just a bit, maybe 1", under the red light visible in your photo).

I have to drive with the wheel a little lower than I like for the same reason but you get used to it quick and it doesn't bother me anymore.
Thanks for this tip. Just went through the same thing.

Did not realize the face recognition was failing every time until this most recent update where it gives you the Red X feedback. Tried to add a 2nd appearance and failed every time.

Thanks to your tip here, lowered the steering wheel all the way down and it worked immediately.

Then progressively raised it back up until it wouldn't program for me again. It's actually pretty close to what I had before so really only had to lower the steering wheel by a centimeter or so from where I had it.

I actually prefer the wheel in this lower position from a driving standpoint. but it's blocking the top part of the dash now. So yeah, interesting tradeoff with the camera location vs more blocking of the screen. Maybe Elon was onto something with the yoke!

Again, thanks for the tip.

I have never seen a green check or a red x. The car also never recognizes me even though we programmed it when we took delivery. It is always set up for the other driver. I will fiddle with the steering wheel next time I’m in the car.

I have never seen a green check or a red x. The car also never recognizes me even though we programmed it when we took delivery. It is always set up for the other driver. I will fiddle with the steering wheel next time I’m in the car.
It happens very quickly when you first sit down. You might be just missing it.

It happens very quickly when you first sit down. You might be just missing it.
That could well be — I’ll try to catch it, but it still goes to the other driver so it’s not recognizing me.

But why is the face profile necessary? I get in the car with the fob or mobile key and lucid knows it’s me.

I set it up and I randomly get errors while driving. I disabled the face login and I see no difference in how the car operates.

I am still not sure what it does. My wife and I can get in the car with both our phones setup for mobile key. It’ll sometimes recognize her profile as we approach but give me a green check for my facial recognition. And it’ll stay on her profile 🤷🏻‍♂️. Still love the car 😍

I am still not sure what it does. My wife and I can get in the car with both our phones setup for mobile key. It’ll sometimes recognize her profile as we approach but give me a green check for my facial recognition. And it’ll stay on her profile 🤷🏻‍♂️. Still love the car 😍
It's because you look like twins...duh

Back