RESOLVED Dumb question about the driver facing camera

Ry4an

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring 2023
I'm prefacing this with a caveat that it may have a very easy solution, but here goes: my driver facing camera can't see me, and I'm wondering if it's because I still have the protective film on from delivery.

Until I get a screen protector I'm leaving the clear transport film on, and I can't set up facial recognition on my profile. I also get warnings that it can't see me to do attentiveness checks. Do I have to pull that film off for the camera to see me clearly enough, or should I start talking with service about a possibly bad camera? I've tried a few different steering wheel positions, and I'm pretty sure I'm not invisible.

It's that film too much for the camera?

I didn't realize there was a protective film for a few weeks and that worked fine for me. Make sure there are no obvious smudges or bubbles in it near the camera, but then I'd talk to service.

I'm prefacing this with a caveat that it may have a very easy solution, but here goes: my driver facing camera can't see me, and I'm wondering if it's because I still have the protective film on from delivery.

Until I get a screen protector I'm leaving the clear transport film on, and I can't set up facial recognition on my profile. I also get warnings that it can't see me to do attentiveness checks. Do I have to pull that film off for the camera to see me clearly enough, or should I start talking with service about a possibly bad camera? I've tried a few different steering wheel positions, and I'm pretty sure I'm not invisible.

It's that film too much for the camera?
Are you sure the camera can see your face? Depending on where you put the steering wheel, it can get easily blocked.

You need to have the steering wheel positioned fairly low for the face camera to see you. It's in the dark rectangle hanging below the driver's display. This will cause the steering wheel rim to block parts of the driver's display, but the UI was designed around that.

Aye. I kept raising the wheel thinking I was blocking it by having it too low. I'll give that a go next time and see if it helps.

Thanks, all

BTW not at all a dumb question. I also encountered this in my first few days with the car, over a year ago now. A few long-time forum members were kind enough to explain the solution to me.

Yup, everyone was right and w/ the wheel lower it was able to see my face enough to create the profile and avoid the "attention system isn't working" warning. Thanks, all!

I have .47 OTA and have really enjoyed my GT for almost a year now. I believe everything is operational to date but when I saw the photo of location of driver facing camera, I was surprised to see lights. I have never seen any lights and, if my steering wheel is set in my favorite driving position, I continue to received "attention" notices. Are the lights on this camera on continuously? I could not find any info on them in manual.

I have .47 OTA and have really enjoyed my GT for almost a year now. I believe everything is operational to date but when I saw the photo of location of driver facing camera, I was surprised to see lights. I have never seen any lights and, if my steering wheel is set in my favorite driving position, I continue to received "attention" notices. Are the lights on this camera on continuously? I could not find any info on them in manual.
They are infrared lights, which a camera can see, but not the human eye.

They are infrared lights, which a camera can see, but not the human eye.
Thanks DeaneG....now all I need is it relocated so it can see me when steering wheel in my driving position. Of course, I still want AA and Dashcam/Sentry Mode, auto speed control when speed limit sign changes, etc, etc, etc. Christmas is coming, right????

Thanks DeaneG....now all I need is it relocated so it can see me when steering wheel in my driving position. Of course, I still want AA and Dashcam/Sentry Mode, auto speed control when speed limit sign changes, etc, etc, etc. Christmas is coming, right????
I also had to move my steering wheel from my preferred position for the face sensor to be able to see me. Didn't want the steering wheel rim to obstruct the driver's display. Turns out the UI seems to be designed so that the obstruction doesn't make a difference in everyday driving.

I'm hoping that in the Gravity, Lucid moves the face sensor to the top of the steering column, rather than mounting it to the bottom of the driver's display. Then it'll work over a wider range of wheel position. But I got used to the wheel position needed by the Air.

To be fair, it does ask you if you'd like to reset your speed based on speed limit changes… I prefer that way than having it automatically do it.

To be fair, it does ask you if you'd like to reset your speed based on speed limit changes… I prefer that way than having it automatically do it.

I agree it is a personal preference, but then again, I have an Android phone too.

I also had to move my steering wheel from my preferred position for the face sensor to be able to see me. Didn't want the steering wheel rim to obstruct the driver's display. Turns out the UI seems to be designed so that the obstruction doesn't make a difference in everyday driving.

I'm hoping that in the Gravity, Lucid moves the face sensor to the top of the steering column, rather than mounting it to the bottom of the driver's display. Then it'll work over a wider range of wheel position. But I got used to the wheel position needed by the Air.
I had to disable the feature because it activated every 3 or 4 seconds continuously. Service informed me that it is a known issue and to disable it. I would assume a fix is coming because why have a feature that does not work. Like FSD on the Tesla???

I couldn't figure out where the camera was placed on the Gravity when I saw it up close. But given the different wheel shape and screen position, my guess is that it will be far less likely the camera gets obscured by the wheel. I think they learned that lesson for sure.

I couldn't figure out where the camera was placed on the Gravity when I saw it up close. But given the different wheel shape and screen position, my guess is that it will be far less likely the camera gets obscured by the wheel. I think they learned that lesson for sure.
From Peter R's description in the recent Motortrend video, it does appear they spent a lot of effort getting this right on Gravity.

So I would have to move steering wheel to uncomfortable position to allow cameras to see me. I disabled the cameras. What feature does this negate?
I think just the driver pay attention alert?

So I would have to move steering wheel to uncomfortable position to allow cameras to see me. I disabled the cameras. What feature does this negate?
I think just the driver pay attention alert?
Yes. But in the future, if the Air ever got anywhere near a level 3 type of autonomous capability, the camera would likely be required in order to prove you are paying attention. For now, HA will still work fine with that warning turned off.

Anyone else can't see the AC or HA graphics with the steering wheel in the most comfortable long driving positing?

So you are saying I need the wheel all the way down for the camera to see me, and all the way up so I can read the driver's display ?
Why not unhook the steering wheel so it just 'floats' there, so you can easily move it around to see what it's hiding?
or
Perhaps Peter will provide a yoke option /s for the steering wheel so we can see EVERYTHING in the driver display ? (and start driving like a child).

Perhaps we can one-up Elon and just put a joystick between the driver's legs ? Or maybe two joysticks, like a bulldozer.

Putting a head-up display, like they have on cars costing a tenth as much, would be a solution. I'm working on a kludge that consists of two compact mirrors, and paint stir stick, and duck tape.

The car on which I learned to drive had none of this crap. No radio...my German father has no use for such extravagances. Note there is no fuel gauge, or any kind of indicators / gauges / lights. Note the steering wheel does not block any of them. Yes, there is an ash tray.
1702929094821.jpeg

That is a perfect instrument cluster. Speedo goes to 60 mph. Car does not.

Last edited:
Back