Electrify America Home Station

Bus Driver

Verified Owner
Cars
Tesla MX, MS; Air GT
An ad popped up on my phone, advertising EA’s home charger. Level 2, 40 amps max, and able to be plugged into a 240V outlet.

Rather than waiting for Lucid’s as yet unavailable home charger, this might be the way to go. Retails for US$649.

I’m unable to attach a link so I took a screenshot:

Attachments

• 7E2A78E4-0167-4E8F-ACC9-011F37C1E3BC.png
    7E2A78E4-0167-4E8F-ACC9-011F37C1E3BC.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 107
An ad popped up on my phone, advertising EA’s home charger. Level 2, 40 amps max, and able to be plugged into a 240V outlet.

Rather than waiting for Lucid’s as yet unavailable home charger, this might be the way to go. Retails for US$649.

@Bill55 Is using that one I believe.

There are a lot of chargers out there. Is there anything special about this one?

At that price I'd go for a Chargepoint HomeFlex, which can do 48 amps on a 60amp breaker. I already have one for our Volvo EV. The Chargepoint has a light flexible cable and great connector, a pleasure to use. It generally wins the comparison tests depending on what attributes you need.

But personally my AGT won't appear for at least six months (20" wheels!), so before buying another EVSE I'm waiting to see what Lucid's V2G-capable EVSE looks like /is priced like.

At that price I'd go for a Chargepoint HomeFlex, which can do 48 amps on a 60amp breaker. I already have one for our Volvo EV. The Chargepoint has a light flexible cable and great connector, a pleasure to use. It generally wins the comparison tests depending on what attributes you need.

But personally my AGT won't appear for at least six months (20" wheels!), so before buying another EVSE I'm waiting to see what Lucid's V2G-capable EVSE looks like /is priced like.
I was goin to say the same thing. the ChargePoint Flex can actually go up to 50 amps hardwired.

I didn’t realise that other brands offered higher amperages. I’ll look into the Chargepoint HomeFlex.

Our first Tesla home charger, dubbed the Tesla HPWC (High Power Wall Charger), and still operational, cranks out 72 amps on an 80 amp CB.

Subsequent iterations of the Tesla home chargers weren’t nearly as powerful, limiting charging to 48 amps. I gave that puny Tesla home charger away. I couldn’t have cared less that EEEHLOHHHHN’s signature was engraved on it.

I was goin to say the same thing. the ChargePoint Flex can actually go up to 50 amps hardwired.
Ah, I see that the Chargepoint Home Flex can go up to 50 amps on an 80 amp breaker, or 48 amps on a 60 amp breaker.

I use the Wallbox Pulsar Plus, which does 48A on a 60A breaker. It’s been great.

I investigated this charger initially, but ignoring bidirectional charging the Chargepoint home is the way to go. The more amperage you can squeeze, the better.

FWIIW - I have been using a plug-in (versus hardwired) Juicebox home charger for the last 5 years and it has worked flawlessly with my Bolt. Would be nice if the local power company took advantage of some of the off-peak charging options that the Juicebox provides but that may change over time. It looks like JB is offering higher amperage units now, at the time time the 40A was the only one on offer.

I’ve got a chargepoint flex, it has a really nice handle on it and works well.

Personally, I would never buy an EA home charger. Their chargers are not known for “quality”

I use the Wallbox Pulsar Plus, which does 48A on a 60A breaker. It’s been great.
That's what I bought and will be installing soon. I like that it allows Bluetooth or WiFi set up and use. Many of the other wall units require WiFi and our garage is set away from our house and doesn't have reliable WiFi even with an extender.

I have a JuiceBox for my I Pace. Got it on Amazon. It plugs into NEMA 14/50 and has been flawless.

What is the benefit of using a 40amp charger over just plugging into a NEMA 14-50 directly? Is it DC vs AC?

I do have this charger as I only had room for a 50amp breaker. I installed it with a 14-50 plug and it consistently delivers 40amps. It installed easily and set up was easy. App is good and they are working to make it better. I did scheduled charging of Midnight to 6am and it has worked flawlessly for me. App has the ability to schedule charging that is time specific to each day.

What is the benefit of using a 40amp charger over just plugging into a NEMA 14-50 directly? Is it DC vs AC?
The Lucid 14-50 included charger is limited to 32Amps. Chargers that are going to be on a breaker over 50Amps have to be hard wired.
Also, currently you can not schedule charging times with the included Lucid charger. If you are on a variable rate plan it is nice to be able to plug in when you get home and charging starts at the scheduled time.

For anyone who might not be aware, there is a bidirectional charger on the market that allows 80amps for charging. Technically, it’s the highest powered residential charger you can buy to date. The only problem is it’s sold out right now 😅

Drawing @ 40 amps would be plugged into a NEMA14-50 plug on a 50 amp circuit. That is the highest amperage one can draw using that plug, Hardwiring a ChargePoint Flex can get up to 50 amps of current on a 70 amp circuit. Both are AC.
the difference would be the number of kW one can draw in an hour. Drawing 40 amps would get 9.6 kW per hour. Drawing 50 amps can deliver up to 12 kW in an hour.

Back