Electrify America Home Station

I'm using my Tesla gen 3 home charger with a TeslaTap adapter at 48 amps. No issues at all. Actually charges a couple miles per hour faster than the model S on same charger.

the difference would be the number of kW one can draw in an hour. Drawing 40 amps would get 9.6 kW per hour. Drawing 50 amps can deliver up to 12 kW in an hour.
Unit clarification: a watt is 1 joule per second, and 1kW = 1000 joules / second. It is not correct to say that you would draw 9.6 kW per hour, that's saying you're drawing 9600 joules per second per hour. You are just drawing 9.6kW. In one hour, you will have drawn 9.6kWh (kilowatt hours), 9600 joules per second for the period of one hour.

edit: note that 1 kWh is 3.6MJ (megajoules)

Unit clarification: a watt is 1 joule per second, and 1kW = 1000 joules / second. It is not correct to say that you would draw 9.6 kW per hour, that's saying you're drawing 9600 joules per second per hour. You are just drawing 9.6kW. In one hour, you will have drawn 9.6kWh (kilowatt hours), 9600 joules per second for the period of one hour.

edit: note that 1 kWh is 3.6MJ (megajoules)
Okay, no one told me that forum was to learn physics. I'm leaving!

If I'm in a pinch to get a charger that charges the quickest, can be mobile, has the best app, reversible to power the home, and of course to power the Pure (or future proof of other EVs), which charger should I get?

A helpful member said I'll need Lucid’s charger for bi-directional charging (perhaps this Ford one in page 1). And if I'm buying one to hold me over, make sure to have the electrician put the wiring in necessary for the Lucid charger - which is an 80 amp charger requiring a 100 amp dedicated service.

Appreciate any additional feedback.

If I'm in a pinch to get a charger that charges the quickest, can be mobile, has the best app, reversible to power the home, and of course to power the Pure (or future proof of other EVs), which charger should I get?

A helpful member said I'll need Lucid’s charger for bi-directional charging (perhaps this Ford one in page 1). And if I'm buying one to hold me over, make sure to have the electrician put the wiring in necessary for the Lucid charger - which is an 80 amp charger requiring a 100 amp dedicated service.

The only 2 that are supposed to be capable of bidirectional are the Ford and Lucid ones. So...you either wait or sacrifice that capability for a different charger.

Do you truly need 100amp hardwired service to the Lucid charger for bidirectional capabilities? Their document just says it can do up to 19.2kw @ 80 amps, doesn’t specify you need dedicated 100amp hardwire to do bidirectional:

Attachments

• Home Charging Station Explainer.pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 143
Do you truly need 100amp hardwired service to the Lucid charger for bidirectional capabilities? Their document just says it can do up to 19.2kw @ 80 amps, doesn’t specify you need dedicated 100amp hardwire to do bidirectional:
That will be explained (hopefully) by Lucid shortly. But, with that much lower being requested to charge, and sending that much power back to the panel, my electrician said it should be dedicated, again we haven’t heard from Lucid so he was simply going off his knowledge.

I'm hoping Lucid's charging adapter doesn't require a 100 amp circuit to allow bidirectional power transfer. I have an existing 60 amp circuit from removing my old Tesla box, and 48 amps is plenty fast enough for my vehicle charging and home backup needs.

I'm hoping Lucid's charging adapter doesn't require a 100 amp circuit to allow bidirectional power transfer. I have an existing 60 amp circuit from removing my old Tesla box, and 48 amps is plenty fast enough for my vehicle charging and home backup needs.
Agreed! It will increase costs a lot for most folks who don’t have a large enough panel to accommodate on top of an expensive charger!

There is not sufficient information available from Lucid to make an intelligent decision on the proper equipment for bidirectional charging. I suspect it is going to be similar to the Ford Home Integration System.
Ford Charge Station Pro is designed specifically for the F-150 Lightning™ and is required to enable Ford Intelligent Backup Power2. The Home Integration System hardware price is $3,895 and does not include the installation cost.
Ford is recommending an installer for their system. Lucid is likely to follow Ford and sign up installers as well.
I am trying to get details on the Ford system as I already have a 30kW generator with a manual disconnect switch and its own separate breaker panel already wired. So far I am not able to get any detailed installation drawings.
One side benefit of spending 6k plus for the system, other than powering your house once or twice a year, is the ability to charge at 19kW (80 m/hour).

It sounds like I’ll just have to install whatever max amperage charger my home is setup for and go from there. If it doesn’t give me the reverse capability, then I’ll look into adding it later.

It sounds like I’ll just have to install whatever max amperage charger my home is setup for and go from there. If it doesn’t give me the reverse capability, then I’ll look into adding it later.
You really could just wait. The car comes with a charger that you can just plug into a 10-40 outlet.

You really could just wait. The car comes with a charger that you can just plug into a 10-40 outlet.
I would but my local power co is giving a $800 credit for any charger install and hard to know when it’ll run dry. I can get it installed for around $1k.

Back