EA Problems

Bill55

Verified Owner
Cars
Sapphire - Dream Edition
DE Number
I am on a road trip and EA will not charge. I went to two different locations and tried 3 different chargers at each location. Spent 3 hours with EA and Lucid on the phone. No luck. EA saying it is a Lucid problem, Lucid blaming EA. All other brands that pulled in were able to charge. Another Lucid pulled in and had same issues. I am on 1.2.21. Needless to say being on a road trip with all EA charging eliminated is frustrating. Luckily found DC fast charger 30-39kW at a Nissan dealership with only 14% charge left. Need at least 50% to get to destination. My wife is done with Lucid. Looks like BMW for next road trip. 3 hours of plugging unplugging and charger resets not the way we planned to spend the day. My judgement is being questioned for sticking with this car.
1666299977118.png

Did Lucid disable your plug and charge?

/cc @Firstto520 @mcr16

This sucks. I wonder what is going on, but I bet it’s the EA software upgrade they did a few weeks ago.

Did you happen to try any EVGo or Chargepoint or anywhere else?

I had a similar problem a couple days ago in south Lake Tahoe. Whether it's EA's fault or Lucid's, if I were engineering management at Lucid I'd be all over it, above any other priority except for a production line halt. It makes the car useless for road trips.

When I was in for my winter wheel change today I discussed my EA charging experience from before I went into Goose Island (first time charging the car)
I was able to charge the car but only after adding the EA app to my phone, I did not provi my cc info
The Lucid service person mentioned they had heard issues and said something like the certificate has been lost

If this is plug n charge related, Lucid should immediately turn off plug and charge to all owners, and send an email to all explaining that this is a temporary fix while the situation is being resolved. The email should also give step by step instructions on Initiating a charge via Lucid's app for the duration of this issue.

If this is plug n charge related, Lucid should immediately turn off plug and charge to all owners, and send an email to all explaining that this is a temporary fix while the situation is being resolved. The email should also give step by step instructions on Initiating a charge via Lucid's app for the duration of this issue.
Agreed, paging @Firstto520 and @mcr16

Germany apparently is planning to spend 6 billion euros to expand the charging network. Extrapolating this number to the US would suggest that we will likely need a lot more than the reported 3 billion from the feds.

/cc @Firstto520 @mcr16

This sucks. I wonder what is going on, but I bet it’s the EA software upgrade they did a few weeks ago.

Did you happen to try any EVGo or Chargepoint or anywhere else?
I did zero planning as there were so many EA stations on my route. Lucid sent me to a ChargePoint location that was fenced in and only for busses. Was at 32% so next location was a ccs at a Hilton garden in, out of service. Next location was a VW dealer and a Nissan dealer across the street from each other. Arrived at 9%. Nissan dealer had a Mach-e at 20% that planned to go to 80%. The Nissan charger was blocked, but we were able to get the dealership to move a car. The first 3 attempts ended with communication errors. We were at 9% so I persisted and on the 4th try it started charging. ABB charger At 30-39kW. 90 minutes later we were at 49%. We got to our destination in DC with 12%. Our vrbo listed EV charging. Unfortunately it is level 1 and currently shows a charging time of 8 days 11 hours. There are options in DC for us to charge this weekend within walking distance. I have mapped out options for the drive home. There are options if you plan in advance, sucked finding out while on the road. There are not many non EA level 3 chargers and many locations are only one charger, so significant chance for it to be down. I was expecting multiple EA options fo a couple easy 20 minute sessions. No such luck.

I‘m not convinced that Lucid got my plug and charge turned off and so that would explain why same result with credit card. I was planning to drive Lucid to Sebring next week. That option goes away if I can’t resolve EA charging before hand. Not great look for Lucid, 2 Airs sitting at EA for hours with very frustrated owners and wives. Must of had 20 people come over and ask questions.

I did zero planning as there were so many EA stations on my route. Lucid sent me to a ChargePoint location that was fenced in and only for busses. Was at 32% so next location was a ccs at a Hilton garden in, out of service. Next location was a VW dealer and a Nissan dealer across the street from each other. Arrived at 9%. Nissan dealer had a Mach-e at 20% that planned to go to 80%. The Nissan charger was blocked, but we were able to get the dealership to move a car. The first 3 attempts ended with communication errors. We were at 9% so I persisted and on the 4th try it started charging. ABB charger At 30-39kW. 90 minutes later we were at 49%. We got to our destination in DC with 12%. Our vrbo listed EV charging. Unfortunately it is level 1 and currently shows a charging time of 8 days 11 hours. There are options in DC for us to charge this weekend within walking distance. I have mapped out options for the drive home. There are options if you plan in advance, sucked finding out while on the road. There are not many non EA level 3 chargers and many locations are only one charger, so significant chance for it to be down. I was expecting multiple EA options fo a couple easy 20 minute sessions. No such luck.

I’m really, really bummed for you. I was planning on using my GT Air’s long legs by going on long road trips. Now, I’m not so sure. I’m wondering whether I should just go back to road tripping in one of my Teslas. I’ll have to stop and charge every 180 to 190 miles but at least I can count on superchargers being always available and always operational.

“Zero planning” is what we should be able to do, if EA’s charging network were a patch on Tesla’s superchargers.

Discouraging report indeed. I’m sorry you’re having to go through this.

Today we tried 4 EA chargers in Goleta, CA Market Place. One had broken cables, one had a linux boot screen, two did not work.

Drove in to Santa Barbara and charged at 150kw EA in the BofA parking lot, worked straight away.

I‘m not convinced that Lucid got my plug and charge turned off and so that would explain why same result with credit card. I was planning to drive Lucid to Sebring next week. That option goes away if I can’t resolve EA charging before hand. Not great look for Lucid, 2 Airs sitting at EA for hours with very frustrated owners and wives. Must of had 20 people come over and ask questions.
Did you call them again to disable it?

...I’m wondering whether I should just go back to road tripping in one of my Teslas...
Any road trips we take in the near future will be in our XC40 EV. About 100 miles between charges, but it is reliable.

It is kind of a mixed bag right now. I pulled into my local EA station and sure enough the first station said "Payment Declined" so I moved up to the second one right next to it and it worked just fine. Go figure but appears to be an EA problem.

Today we tried 4 EA chargers in Goleta, CA Market Place. One had broken cables, one had a linux boot screen, two did not work.

Drove in to Santa Barbara and charged at 150kw EA in the BofA parking lot, worked straight away.
I have the same randomness in whether I will get a charge or not. One EA site will work but another won’t even though other cars are able to charge.

Back