EA Charging

Yeah, what's the point of the whole 900v charging system when the difference between 350 and 150 is minimal. Probably wasn't worth the effort they put in because 350 chargers cost way too much to install and everyone seems to be sticking to 150's.
I wonder which battery pack will last longer? the one using the 350 or the 150. It seems the 350 is limited by the BMS from beginning to end while the 150 is limited by the station and not stressed until the 70%+ SOC.

Interesting, Tom Moloughney said the following in his article about the 150 vs 350 charging:

"One last thing to note. I spoke to lucid engineers while I was recording this session, and they gave me some exclusive information. They are planning an OTA software update later in 2022 that will improve the Air's charging curve, and allow the vehicle to hold a higher charging rate to a higher state of charge."

So maybe there will be an increased difference

The 350 still has an advantage. The charging curve shows that if you start at a low SOC, for the same amount of time charging, up to 20 min, the 350 CAN give you an extra 70 mules of range. That's not insignificant.

Interesting, Tom Moloughney said the following in his article about the 150 vs 350 charging:

"One last thing to note. I spoke to lucid engineers while I was recording this session, and they gave me some exclusive information. They are planning an OTA software update later in 2022 that will improve the Air's charging curve, and allow the vehicle to hold a higher charging rate to a higher state of charge."

So maybe there will be an increased difference
I was thinking the same thing. If the vehicle can sustain a higher level for longer through software changes then the difference will get pretty significant. That said, 150kw is still very good and means most of the time you’d be just fine at a lower speed charger.

I’m guessing that the software changes may be similar to Polestar. For them, after a sufficient amount of usage data they could better optimize cooling during the charging process without inducing wear on the batteries.

The 350 still has an advantage. The charging curve shows that if you start at a low SOC, for the same amount of time charging, up to 20 min, the 350 CAN give you an extra 70 mules of range. That's not insignificant.
Absolutely. I think we all agree that if a 350kw is available, snag it, but we won’t be as angry to see a Leaf on the 350kw while the owner has a long nap :D

Absolutely. I think we all agree that if a 350kw is available, snag it, but we won’t be as angry to see a Leaf on the 350kw while the owner has a long nap :D
Does that happen quite a bit?? People using the fastest one regardless of what type of EV they're charging?

Yea, most people don't realize there is a difference.

Yeah, to be clear, I don’t think they do it intentionally. They just grab a stall with no idea that there is any difference at all between them in terms of available power.

Yeah, to be clear, I don’t think they do it intentionally. They just grab a stall with no idea that there is any difference at all between them in terms of available power.
Or like myself, pull into them when all the 150’s are taken. EA doesn’t have a lot of chargers at it’s locations. The average seems to be 6 which isn’t a lot with all the EV’s hitting the market this year.

Or like myself, pull into them when all the 150’s are taken. EA doesn’t have a lot of chargers at it’s locations. The average seems to be 6 which isn’t a lot with all the EV’s hitting the market this year.
I thought Lucid tells you kinda like Tesla how many/which stalls are available at a said location?

I thought Lucid tells you kinda like Tesla how many/which stalls are available at a said location?
It does through the app and on the charging map, though I've found 2 to be different for some stations. Not sure why, but through the app seems to be more accurate in terms of station count.

It does through the app and on the charging map, though I've found 2 to be different for some stations. Not sure why, but through the app seems to be more accurate in terms of station count.
When you say "through the app" are you referring to the Lucid app or the EA app?

Sorry even more clarification - you mean on the car navigation itself also and the Lucid app as well?
Yea the car built in Nav is not as accurate as the Lucid app when it comes to up to date charging station info, at least from my limited use of checking both.

Sorry even more clarification - you mean on the car navigation itself also and the Lucid app as well?
The App does a better job than using the car search.

Attachments

• Lucid App Charging stations .jpg
    Lucid App Charging stations .jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 135
I’m on a road trip from the SF Bay Area down the coast (eventually to San Diego) and EA charging has been seamless, with one exception today. The charger worked fine, but it didn’t recognize the Lucid as charging for free and asked me to pay.

I called Lucid CS, they asked me to try a different charger. I did and it worked great.

But, they ALSO said: if you ever run into an EA charger that makes you pay, try another if one is available, but if you do end up paying shoot us an email or give us a call and we will reimburse you. Great to know, so I figured I’d share!

Of the dozen or so times I’ve fast charged so far, this was the first time I ran into that, which to me is a good sign.

I was amused that this EA station was right next to a supercharger station and literally every Tesla owner was cooing over the Lucid :p
I am curious to know how much was the cost fully charge the lucid or whatever percentage your charged the lucid. I am wondering if is in reality cheaper than what i charge on my gas car.

I am curious to know how much was the cost fully charge the lucid or whatever percentage your charged the lucid. I am wondering if is in reality cheaper than what i charge on my gas car.

My last session I charged 82 kWh or about 70%. It cost $0.43 / kWh at that station (free to me due to Lucid’s free 3 years), which would have been $35.26.

With gas prices in CA as they are (but they’ve risen everywhere) it’s definitely cheaper than putting gas in my Mazda.

It’s also cheaper in the sense that I don’t need to worry about oil changes, etc. The only regular maintenance is: windshield washer fluid. More rarely, you may need to top off brake fluid, or replace tires, brakes, wiper blades, cabin air filters when they wear out, same as any ICE car. That’s really it.

Last edited:
My last session I charged 82 kWh or about 70%. It cost $0.43 / kWh at that station (free to me due to Lucid’s free 3 years), which would have been $35.26.

With gas prices in CA as they are (but they’ve risen everywhere) it’s definitely cheaper than putting gas in my Mazda.

It’s also cheaper in the sense that I don’t need to worry about oil changes, etc. The only regular maintenance is: windshield washer fluid. More rarely, you may need to top off brake fluid, or replace tires, brakes, wiper blades, cabin air filters when they wear out, same as any ICE car. That’s really it.

don't forget about changing the blinker fluid.

Back