EA Charging

I've had the problem repeatedly on our Volvo EV but not after following EA's advice in this video. I'm some months away from having a Lucid to try it on.
Never had a problem releasing a cable from my Leaf after charging which was most of the tips in the video but I have done a unplug and replug to get a DC fast charger working. I’m also months away from getting my Lucid.

Ack, I linked the wrong video. Here is the correct one:

Ack, I linked the wrong video. Here is the correct one:
Never had to do that on a DC fast charger with my Leaf, but good to know if I have issues on my Lucid.

My recent experience with EA and concerns overall in general with road trips.

I drove my e-Tron from LA to SF last week and stopped at 2 EA locations (Harris Ranch & Walmart Patterson) with no issues. Chargers worked and speed was consistently 145kw to 149kw at both locations. Being mid week I was the only car at both locations.

Coming back was a different story. My first stop was EA at Shell on Panoche Rd. When I arrived they were full apart from 2 chargers which I had issues with weeks ago and chose to not even attempt to use (turns out even though they say they’re online the 2 cars trying to use them couldn’t get them working). Luckily for me, an ioniq was leaving so I pulled in after a few mins of waiting and charge session was good. The second stop was in Bakersfield and as I pulled in only 1 charger was free so pulled in and charged with no issues. Although, it was interesting to see the Bolt take a 350Kw charger even though a 150Kw was free.

Overall the charging experience was smooth but what’s concerning is that on weekends 4 to 6 chargers on freeways don’t seem to be enough. At both locations EV’s were waiting to charge and what’s even more concerning is at both locations I was the last in but first out. It seems that people are hell bent on charging over 80% and closer to the 90 to 100% range. They’re clogging up chargers when not necessary. The woman next to me was complaining that the speed was too slow and I said “you’re at 92%! You’re supposed to be well gone by now”. She was surprised when I told her you shouldn’t be sticking around until 100%.

I’m glad I have the GT ordered as it means I don’t have as much reliance on chargers but it does seem that new EV owners need much more education on how the charging works and when to move on to the next stop etc. if I was waiting for a charger and seeing someone at 90%+ it would infuriate me.

The woman next to me was complaining that the speed was too slow and I said “you’re at 92%! You’re supposed to be well gone by now”. She was surprised when I told her you shouldn’t be sticking around until 100%.

sigh

almost feels like there needs to be sign on every charger or a button / manual acknowledgement that charging is going to slow down as you are approaching capacity

sigh

almost feels like there needs to be sign on every charger or a button / manual acknowledgement that charging is going to slow down as you are approaching capacity
EA sends you a text when you hit 80% saying charging will slow down. I think the only way to get people moving is double or triple the charge rate so it’s hits the wallet when going above 80%.

Not sure what Lucid is doing but I don’t think the car dealers educate people enough either when buying an EV.

EA sends you a text when you hit 80% saying charging will slow down. I think the only way to get people moving is double or triple the charge rate so it’s hits the wallet when going above 80%.

Not sure what Lucid is doing but I don’t think the car dealers educate people enough either when buying an EV.
THATS neat ... wish it was more effective!

I see no chance of people evacuating South Florida with EVs. It just can't happen. We are an all EV family but looking to a Diesel as a must-have standby in case of a mandatory evacuation.

Looks like EA is putting some effort in and making some bigger locations with lounges etc.

Although, if anyone has been to this location I wouldn't exactly call it "flagship"

1648148590536.png

Especially when you look over and see a similar size canopy with 20+ superchargers and then see this one is full of rocks, lol! Not a great use of the space :D

Last edited:
Looks like EA is putting some effort in and making some bigger locations with lounges etc.

Although, if anyone has been to this location I wouldn't exactly call it "flagship"

View attachment 1192

Especially when you look over and see a similar size canopy with 20+ superchargers and then see this one is full of rocks, lol! Not a great use of the space :D
Are the lounges already built in SF or are they talking about the future?

Instead of a lounge, give me more fast chargers using the same space.
The rollout plan seems a little backwards. Not sure why you would put locations with 20+ chargers in town vs putting them on Interstates. 4 to 6 chargers on Interstates isn't going to be enough and they're already filling up on weekends. It should be 4 to 6 chargers in town and 20+ on Interstates with the lounges.

I also have suspicions on how well those long cables will do at keeping cool. One of EA's biggest issues has been the liquid cooling in the cables not working properly so either the charger won't start or will provide a slower charging speed than what the charger can output. The longer the cable the more it needs to cool so i'm on the fence on whether these new chargers are going to help solve some of the existing issues.

The rollout plan seems a little backwards. Not sure why you would put locations with 20+ chargers in town vs putting them on Interstates. 4 to 6 chargers on Interstates isn't going to be enough and they're already filling up on weekends. It should be 4 to 6 chargers in town and 20+ on Interstates with the lounges.

I also have suspicions on how well those long cables will do at keeping cool. One of EA's biggest issues has been the liquid cooling in the cables not working properly so either the charger won't start or will provide a slower charging speed than what the charger can output. The longer the cable the more it needs to cool so i'm on the fence on whether these new chargers are going to help solve some of the existing issues.
Because towns give incentives to bring business into town

I guess..... I love that the SoMA location is in a garage. Even EA is smart enough to know that leaving your car out in the open on the streets in San Francisco is a recipe for disaster :D

Yup. And honestly, I prefer it this way; driving into a mall, parking, and grabbing lunch or doing some shopping has been super convenient.

Highway chargers are “oh shit I forgot” chargers to me, which are useful, but I would *rather* stop somewhere where I can grab a cup of coffee and a meal.

...Highway chargers are “oh shit I forgot” chargers to me, which are useful, but I would *rather* stop somewhere where I can grab a cup of coffee and a meal.
Maybe true for most Lucid drivers. But a string of highway chargers are essential to enable long trips for drivers of more ordinary EVs, who are looking for a charge every 90-150 miles.

Yup. And honestly, I prefer it this way; driving into a mall, parking, and grabbing lunch or doing some shopping has been super convenient.

Highway chargers are “oh shit I forgot” chargers to me, which are useful, but I would *rather* stop somewhere where I can grab a cup of coffee and a meal.
My car is EPA rated at 204. When I stop at chargers along the I5 from LA to SF they’re not “oh shit, I forgot” stops, I stop because I have no choice just like the Ioniq 5, Mach E, Taycans, ID4’s that I see at these locations as well.

Not everyone is going to have the luxury of a 500 mile EPA car so plentiful charging stops on freeways is a necessity.

Maybe true for most Lucid drivers. But a string of highway chargers are essential to enable long trips for drivers of more ordinary EVs, who are looking for a charge every 90-150 miles.

Yup. On this, I agree with you.

My car is EPA rated at 204. When I stop at chargers along the I5 from LA to SF they’re not “oh shit, I forgot” stops, I stop because I have no choice just like the Ioniq 5, Mach E, Taycans, ID4’s that I see at these locations as well.

Not everyone is going to have the luxury of a 500 mile EPA car so plentiful charging stops on freeways is a necessity.

You’re right, that’s a great point!

Back