DreamDrive Megathread

Took a test drive with a Lucid Grand Touring with Dream DrIve Pro yesterday. While the car is head and shoulders above my Tesla Model 3 in so many ways, Dream Drive Pro was very limited.

It only worked on highways driving over 50 miles an hour, which is very restrictive compared to Tesla FSD.

Took a test drive with a Lucid Grand Touring with Dream DrIve Pro yesterday. While the car is head and shoulders above my Tesla Model 3 in so many ways, Dream Drive Pro was very limited.

It only worked on highways driving over 50 miles an hour, which is very restrictive compared to Tesla FSD.
You are correct about the highway restriction, but the MPH is not correct.

You are correct about the highway resection, but the MPH is not correct.
Did you have a different experience? Is there a setting somewhere to allow it to work at a lower speed?

Did you have a different experience? Is there a setting somewhere to allow it to work at a lower speed?
There is no setting, it always works under 50mph? It has no trouble creeping along in near-standstill traffic, that's actually my main use for it. It doesn't currently start going automatically after a full stop, but all it takes is bumping the accelerator or rolling the steering wheel toggle to resume. The only restriction on where it can work is it's limited to freeways without cross traffic.

There is no setting, it always works under 50mph? It has no trouble creeping along in near-standstill traffic, that's actually my main use for it. It doesn't currently start going automatically after a full stop, but all it takes is bumping the accelerator or rolling the steering wheel toggle to resume. The only restriction on where it can work is it's limited to freeways without cross traffic.
It actually works on some highways with cross traffic. I am not sure how Lucid decides which highways to map and allow HA on.

It actually works on some highways with cross traffic. I am not sure how Lucid decides which highways to map and allow HA on.
It does, but I don't think that's on purpose :p
It still can't handle cross traffic or intersections at all, even if it does let you turn it on.

Thanks for the update. Not sure why I couldn't get it to go on below 50 mph and the salesman wasn't that knowledgable. He was there only a month and a half and told me that I tested out more stuff on the car than anyone else (in his short career!)

It does, but I don't think that's on purpose :p
It still can't handle cross traffic or intersections at all, even if it does let you turn it on.
I think it is on purpose because in many areas like AZ, there are two lane highways where HA is very useful and cross traffic is minimal. You do need to be alert when using it on these types of highways.

Thanks for the update. Not sure why I couldn't get it to go on below 50 mph and the salesman wasn't that knowledgable. He was there only a month and a half and told me that I tested out more stuff on the car than anyone else (in his short career!)
Current Highway Assist is similar to Tesla Autopilot. I've been able to use it down to zero MPH. When in stop and go traffic and if it's disengaged, I can reactivate it again even at zero MPH.

Lucid procedure involves more than one step so it may take a Tesla driver some time to get used to:

1. Press the cruise button to prepare to be on cruise

2. Press another button at the semi-rolling wheel to get the adaptive cruise operating at the current speed or if from a stop, at 20 MPH setting.

3. Press the step 1 button above to operate Highway Assist.

Current Highway Assist is similar to Tesla Autopilot. I've been able to use it down to zero MPH. When in stop and go traffic and if it's disengaged, I can reactivate it again even at zero MPH.

Lucid procedure involves more than one step so it may take a Tesla driver some time to get used to:

1. Press the cruise button to prepare to be on cruise

2. Press another button at the semi-rolling wheel to get the adaptive cruise operating at the current speed or if from a stop, at 20 MPH setting.

3. Press the step 1 button above to operate Highway Assist.
Once Highway Assist is engaged, you should no longer need step 3. It defaults to Highway Assist after that, so long as you are on a road that supports HA.

I think it is on purpose because in many areas like AZ, there are two lane highways where HA is very useful and cross traffic is minimal. You do need to be alert when using it on these types of highways.
Yep. My test site for a car is Carefree Highway on the way from the I-17 to Quintero (or Wickenburg). One lane in each direction; 65 mph most of the way; and lots of cars some pulling trailers. I don't especially care about 0-60...most EVs do it very well. What I care about is if I am on this road, and there is a car pulling a trailer up ahead of me, and I can see that the car is entering one of the few passing lanes (steep hills), I want to be able to step on it and fly up the road to get past the car and then slow down again before I crested the hill (who knows whether a police officer has set up shop right over the hill). The Lucid and my Genesis both pass this test very well. But one does have to keep alert on such a road, especially as there are several spots where the speed limit drops and then goes up again.

Once Highway Assist is engaged, you should no longer need step 3. It defaults to Highway Assist after that, so long as you are on a road that supports HA.
It is a bit odd how many roads don't work with HA. I drove back through some of the same places HA was unavailable in a Subaru, and their lane keep + adaptive cruise worked fine whenever there were lane lines. Would be nice for the same to work in the Air, not entirely sure why it doesnt.

It is a bit odd how many roads don't work with HA. I drove back through some of the same places HA was unavailable in a Subaru, and their lane keep + adaptive cruise worked fine whenever there were lane lines. Would be nice for the same to work in the Air, not entirely sure why it doesnt.
Because every company is different.

Because every company is different.
Agreed. As an example, GM also requires Super Cruise roads to be mapped (and they are widely considered to have some of the best ADAS on the market right now).

Some believe in working in new unpredictable generalized environments while others believe in HD pre-mapping.

For those who use HD pre-mapping, they may use it from different companies with different coverages.

Waymo uses pre-mapping with no human fatalities while Tesla doesn't which results in quite a few fatalities.

Correct, Step 3 is automatic if the road supports it, otherwise it defaults to Adaptive Cruise only. Either way, it's a total of two steps.

Some believe in working in new unpredictable generalized environments
One. One believes in that. it's only Tesla, at least for now.

(And I'm not counting Comma.ai, which is actually great, but by virtue of not having any other choice)

(And I'm not counting Comma.ai, which is actually great, but by virtue of not having any other choice)
Wait, it is? I know you’ve told me that you personally knew the founder, but doesn’t the one camera limit how good it can be?

Don’t know how highway assist was doing it? But it worked.

So I was driving on Grand Central Parkway in NYC yesterday using HA and we came to a newly paved section. 2-3 miles.

On this section there were no painted lines, both the solid line for the shoulder and the dashed line between lanes wasn’t painted yet. Only the little tags to show where the paint truck should paint every 40-50 feet.

HA didn’t seem to mind, even with curves, somehow it managed to steer, lane center, and follow the car in front!

My Maserati always freaks out when it loses the lines.

Back