Charging Speed

Sounds like you are agreeing with my last post. I get it. Only positive posts moving forward or I get censored. No problem.
What a silly response. See negative post. Not censored. Seriously, I swear 80% of the posts here are negative.

Sounds like you are agreeing with my last post. I get it. Only positive posts moving forward or I get censored. No problem.
We don’t have a tendency to censor posts unless they violate our guidelines. One of the most important guidelines is keeping this place neighborly and friendly. Please stick with that type of tone in the future. Thank you very much.

Display the % and not the miles as you would on a phone. Estimated battery life on the phone is meaningless. Likewise, the estimated range is EPA based which you don't get. That said, unless you really need to travel long distances, you can expect about 1.5 to 2 kWh of charge or about 1.5% per minute these days at a 150 or even 350kW EA charger if you charge from 20% to 60 or 70%. If the ambient temperature is 60F or more when you charge, you will not see much difference in the charging speed whether you pre condition or not but 50F or below it can matter. Hope this helps. Look at the current lucid charge curve as a guidance.
View attachment 11962
Also, here is data I collected so far.
View attachment 11963
This is a hugely optimistic curve as related to EA chargers. My experience is that the rate drops to 40 or below at 70%SOC.

@menodude Just keep the car at 80% or below for day to day commuting and 100% for trips, batteries like to breath and are happiest between 20% and 80%. You own your car and you just set the limit that works for you nothing bad will happen unless you keep to at 100% to years and years...

This is a hugely optimistic curve as related to EA chargers. My experience is that the rate drops to 40 or below at 70%SOC.
That means it is a bad charger for sure. Try EVgo

You've got bad luck then. I charged from 38-80% today. I was still pulling 90 kw at 78% (and only maxed out at 150 kw on a standalone 350 kw station).

It is very clear you want nothing but positive posts. Sorry but my experience wasn't positive. I am not sure why there would be a response of what a delivery person "meant" from a staff member who couldn't possible know. I didn't hash out all the bad experiences and some were really bad and this wasn't history as it was still going on. The delivery advisor had the front license plate installed without a work order or my request. The Service manager was fantastic and no nonsense. Just yesterday he acknowledged it shouldn't have happened, offered to rectify the situation, and also promised to get the delivery people up to speed on the battery charging information that should be given to new owners. I am not a huge fan of suppressing information when it is not agreed with but this forum is a great source of information. Again, it would be of great benefit to new owners who might have had their cars delivered like mine. The service manager said over 80% for everyday use could shorten the life of the batteries. Not sure how that part gets by you.
Don, With and EV 20/80 is the happy place many dealers misspeak but as we move to EV's I agree it’s important to educate the customer on battery management it is you biggest asset after all. All manufactures have work to do in that regard on the sales front.

I decided to take your advice and order the Hubbell 14-50 NEMA. Thank you!
Choose carefully. Get the CORRECT Hubbell. Too many house fires already. If you search the EV forums, only two NEMA 14-50s are recommended. The Hubbell hbl 9450A and the Bryant 9450FR. Hubbell makes Bryant. They are not cheap. $50-90. There is a $25 Hubbell that is slightly better than the HD Leviton $12 pure crap. This Hubbell Rr45fw, but is not recommended for long term EV charging.

The huge issue the NEC is addressing is that 95% of the 14-50s are NOT rated for continuous duty. Dryers and stoves are not continuous duty. Who has an oven on full blast 40 amps, for 7 hours? Simply put, a cheap, HD dryer grade receptacle used long term for EV will melt. I have seen reports where the distergrating receptacle took out the breaker and panel. Continuous duty is the reason our breakers and conductors have an additional 25% safety factor.

The Hubbell and Bryant recommended above are old school. Twice as deep as Leviton, twice as heavy, made for continuous duty, and proper big lugs for proper conductor torquing. Thick copper and BAKELITE. Remember BAKELITE? Guess why? It does not burn.

And @DeaneG , sorry to report the Cooper and Pass & Seymour are are only slightly less bad than Leviton.

I have not seen that personally. But I know there can be a lot of variance depending on location.

I have not seen that personally. But I know there can be a lot of variance depending on location.
Wonder if it's the heat. When I'm standing near the charger, it sounds like a wind tunnel.

That's wrong. Try another pump, and if that doesn't work try another filling station.

There is a 150kW EA closest to me that used to deliver full power ( I've pulled 172 kW initial at a 150 with low SOC and conditioning) and bottom out above 70kw at 80%. Recently I was there when it was being " serviced ". After the "service" I tried it: the power dropped to 48kW and said it would take over an hour ( I was at 35% SOC ) so I switched to the charger next to it. They "serviced" that one to 52 kW, so I left and drove to a 350 EA a little further from home. At 32% SOC I got over 200 kW for a while, and finished ~ 90kW at 80%. Took 23 minutes. By driving another 10 minutes to an unhindered charger I saved time.

What's great about the Lucid: two cars charging there when I arrived, and still there when I left with a full (80%) tank. I took a look at the KIA and it was pulling 23kW... at a 350kW charger. Guess he was staying overnight. The other car was pulling a respectable 52kW (joke).

I would not accept fewer than 100kW at 2 minutes in, and if it's still jumping around at 2 minutes in, goodbye.

Recommend watching the cannonball run video with the Lucid. You can learn a lot watching how they charge, and when they unplug.
It has changed the way I use EA chargers.

That's wrong. Try another pump, and if that doesn't work try another filling station.

There is a 150kW EA closest to me that used to deliver full power ( I've pulled 172 kW initial at a 150 with low SOC and conditioning) and bottom out above 70kw at 80%. Recently I was there when it was being " serviced ". After the "service" I tried it: the power dropped to 48kW and said it would take over an hour ( I was at 35% SOC ) so I switched to the charger next to it. They "serviced" that one to 52 kW, so I left and drove to a 350 EA a little further from home. At 32% SOC I got over 200 kW for a while, and finished ~ 90kW at 80%. Took 23 minutes. By driving another 10 minutes to an unhindered charger I saved time.

What's great about the Lucid: two cars charging there when I arrived, and still there when I left with a full (80%) tank. I took a look at the KIA and it was pulling 23kW... at a 350kW charger. Guess he was staying overnight. The other car was pulling a respectable 52kW (joke).

I would not accept fewer than 100kW at 2 minutes in, and if it's still jumping around at 2 minutes in, goodbye.

Recommend watching the cannonball run video with the Lucid. You can learn a lot watching how they charge, and when they unplug.
It has changed the way I use EA chargers.

Consider yourself blessed. There are 4 EA stations rated 10' they are all on the east side/Henderson. The closest station to me rates a 1; others are 4.2, 7.9, 8.3 and 8.4. Reviews from other people's experiences mirror mine. Cars says something like charging speed limited by charger.

There is a rating system ? Tell me more and I will participate. Seems kind of arbitrary as there are too many variables (SOC, temp, # of cars sharing...) .

There is a rating system ? Tell me more and I will participate. Seems kind of arbitrary as there are too many variables (SOC, temp, # of cars sharing...) .
If you open the Plugshare app, touch a particular charging location. You will see a number rating. I don't know more than that, like who do those ratings.

If you open the Plugshare app, touch a particular charging location. You will see a number rating. I don't know more than that, like who do those ratings.
We all need to take those ratings with a grain of salt. The other day, I was at an Electrify America station in Paso Robles. There was only a 150 available. There was a Bolt charging at the 350. He only had 10% in the car. His window was down so I said "hello." He was on the phone, complaining loudly. He told me that the charger was broken and he is currently on the line with EA to get it figured out because he could only get 55 kW. I told him that that is the maximum his car can do. He said, no, he has seen much higher numbers even at home. I suggested he might move to the 150 charger to see if it worked better but he declined. I'm sure he rated that location one star based on his terrible experience.

We all need to take those rating with a grain of salt. The other day, I was at an Electrify America station in Paso Robles. There was only a 150 available. There was a Bolt charging at the 350. He only had 10% in the car. His window was down so I said "hello." He was on the phone, complaining loudly. He told me that the charger was broken and he is currently on the line with EA to get it figured out because he could only get 55 kW. I told him that that is the maximum his car can do. He said, no, he has seen much higher numbers even at home. I suggested he might move to the 150 charger to see if it worked better but he declined. I'm sure he rated that location one star based on his terrible experience.
I hear you. I drive by the Cheyenne station regularly as it is close to my home. Rating is pretty much spot on. Don't know if/when EA will ever get that one repaired. There has not been a positive review since before January. The station on E. Craig has been my best bet but yesterday it was on the fritz (Charger 3). Plugged into Charger 4 and got 62kW. Both chargers had 1 hose de-activated (hose was still attached). Other 2 chargers were working but occupied. Mission accomplished and that's what matters. Still praying for Cheyenne station...

We all need to take those ratings with a grain of salt. The other day, I was at an Electrify America station in Paso Robles. There was only a 150 available. There was a Bolt charging at the 350. He only had 10% in the car. His window was down so I said "hello." He was on the phone, complaining loudly. He told me that the charger was broken and he is currently on the line with EA to get it figured out because he could only get 55 kW. I told him that that is the maximum his car can do. He said, no, he has seen much higher numbers even at home. I suggested he might move to the 150 charger to see if it worked better but he declined. I'm sure he rated that location one star based on his terrible experience.
Keep in mind the PlugShare is owned by EVGo. I am not saying that they cheat the numbers versus other companies but broken chargers when there are still working chargers do not have much impact on the score. It seems PlugShare is trying to make it all look better than it is.

Choose carefully. Get the CORRECT Hubbell. Too many house fires already. If you search the EV forums, only two NEMA 14-50s are recommended. The Hubbell hbl 9450A and the Bryant 9450FR. Hubbell makes Bryant. They are not cheap. $50-90. There is a $25 Hubbell that is slightly better than the HD Leviton $12 pure crap. This Hubbell Rr45fw, but is not recommended for long term EV charging.

The huge issue the NEC is addressing is that 95% of the 14-50s are NOT rated for continuous duty. Dryers and stoves are not continuous duty. Who has an oven on full blast 40 amps, for 7 hours? Simply put, a cheap, HD dryer grade receptacle used long term for EV will melt. I have seen reports where the distergrating receptacle took out the breaker and panel. Continuous duty is the reason our breakers and conductors have an additional 25% safety factor.

The Hubbell and Bryant recommended above are old school. Twice as deep as Leviton, twice as heavy, made for continuous duty, and proper big lugs for proper conductor torquing. Thick copper and BAKELITE. Remember BAKELITE? Guess why? It does not burn.

And @DeaneG , sorry to report the Cooper and Pass & Seymour are are only slightly less bad than Leviton.
That is what I purchased. A Hubbell 6450A. Thank you!

Keep in mind the PlugShare is owned by EVGo. I am not saying that they cheat the numbers versus other companies but broken chargers when there are still working chargers do not have much impact on the score. It seems PlugShare is trying to make it all look better than it is.
I dunno. Can it get worse than a "1" rating lol? That's been the Cheyenne rating for a few months now.

Back