charging at EA

EA is owned by Volkswagon, smart move to acquire early adopters.

Last edited:
The Taycan has free charging. If I am not mistaken, there is a 30-minute limit per connection, and if there are multiple connections they must be 90 plus miles apart.
That would be useful to avoid tying up the stations. When we had the Leaf free charging, the sessions stopped after 30’, but we could unplug and plug back in again for another 30’. Did not have to drive 90 miles or wait an hour or so for another.

Mercedes is only 30 min free at ChargePoint and for only 2 years.

Here are the different free charging offers by EV manufacturers. Most are for the EA network.

The Merecedes site says (my bold) "Mercedes me Charge helps simplify the entire process of locating, using and paying for charging on all major US networks. Purchasing or leasing a new EQS includes complimentary 30-minute sessions at Electrify America DC fast chargers for two years."

The Merecedes site says (my bold) "Mercedes me Charge helps simplify the entire process of locating, using and paying for charging on all major US networks. Purchasing or leasing a new EQS includes complimentary 30-minute sessions at Electrify America DC fast chargers for two years."
Probably means that you load your credit card on their App which would allow payment to all the other charging networks other than EA.

First of all I am retired, so I have plenty of free time.

I play duplicate bridge online everyday, trade stocks ,do my gardening and take several walks on hiking trails with my wife daily. I have the time, so that is not an issue, so why should I not want to save money if I can.

I have been to the Target parking lot (1 mile away)twice on a Tuesday afternoon at 2:00pm. Both times I am the only person at the chargers, otherwise the 3 chargers would be empty, so I am not inconveniencing anyone.

A little less hostility please
You should save money and people who have free charging will take advantage. I said the model was bad as it encourages behavior that puts more demand on a limited reource. That’s not hostile.

5F6B8ABF-EC3E-461B-A846-9873D437791A.jpeg

At Denton, Texas. EA 350kW ridiculous charger not operational here either. I begin to think 350kW is unicorn.

The 350Kw EA Charger in Paso Robles works just fine. Also the ones at Valley Fair in San Jose also work very well.

You should save money and people who have free charging will take advantage. I said the model was bad as it encourages behavior that puts more demand on a limited reource. That’s not hostile.
OK.

Maybe it's just Texas!
Trying to prevent another blackout ;) . Tying to the national grid couldn't be too troublesome.

Interesting, not what I was told by the dealer, but then again they don't know that much about the EQS yet. I will check it out, thanks!

The time limited charging is only good if EA is actually delivering the speed advertised at the charger. I’ve been to many EA chargers that just fail to deliver the speeds they’re supposed to and I’d be annoyed if I’m limited to 30 mins and only getting a trickle of power then having to pay to stay longer through no fault of my own.

I’m plugged into a 350kw in Albany right now, peaked at 262kw when I was at 23% SOC after preconditioning, but there was a Taycan and a MachE plugged in the same time as me so it was probably limiting power.
There are rumors that EA has all but given up on 350Kw due to cost and is now limiting power at a number of sites across many states. I’ve been to a couple of chargers in CA recently where they’re now splitting power. How widespread / true this is, is yet to be seen but something to keep in mind.

There are rumors that EA has all but given up on 350Kw due to cost and is now limiting power at a number of sites across many states. I’ve been to a couple of chargers in CA recently where they’re now splitting power. How widespread / true this is, is yet to be seen but something to keep in mind.
I think that's only on new installations or ones that get repaired.

Back