charging at EA

WildRide47

Founding Member
Cars
2018 Porsche Panamera Tur
Just did my first DC charge at EA. Worked great. No charge for 3 years?

Don't remember how many minutes of free charging we are allowed at each time I charge?

That's a great deal! For some reason I thought only the first 20 minutes might be free and then you are charged for any time you use beyond that. Nice to see that is not the case.

Sort of takes the idea of solar panels off the table for me as my wife's soon to be BMW i4M50 also comes with free charging at EA for the first 3 years. Maybe its her BMW that only allows the first 20 minutes. Will have to check that out.

That's a great deal! For some reason I thought only the first 20 minutes might be free and then you are charged for any time you use beyond that. Nice to see that is not the case.

Sort of takes the idea of solar panels off the table for me as my wife's soon to be BMW i4M50 also comes with free charging at EA for the first 3 years. Maybe its her BMW that only allows the first 20 minutes. Will have to check that out.
probably still a good idea to put solar on because energy costs are going up...but maybe that's just California =P

probably still a good idea to put solar on because energy costs are going up...but maybe that's just California =P
At 74 years old, not sure if it pays for purchase and installation, especially now that I can charge both cars for free at the EA one mile away in the Target parking lot.

If I was 10 years younger, I would not hesitate and definitely go for it.

I was at EA first time next to a MB EQS. She said, she got 2 years and limited charging and asked me for my deal.

At 74 years old, not sure if it pays for purchase and installation, especially now that I can charge both cars for free at the EA one mile away in the Target parking lot.

If I was 10 years younger, I would not hesitate and definitely go for it.
I looked into solar but the up front costs are also skyrocketing with the pandemic. For my particular situation it would take 15 years to break even. So it wasn’t worth it for me. I figure in that time span there would be an upgrade cost in the future as well.

There is considerable pressure from utilities to reduce the benefit of installing residential solar. Average rates may be increasing, but reimbursement rates during peak solar generating hours have decreased. In some countries, residential electricity cost has turned negative during peak solar hours because of the amount of solar already installed and its mismatch with demand.

Mercedes is only 30 min free at ChargePoint and for only 2 years.

Mercedes is only 30 min free at ChargePoint and for only 2 years.
Chargepoint, not EA? Wow that’s lame. Has anybody tried any Chargepoint fast chargers? I think Lucid has the best free charging setup of any manufacturer. 3 years unlimited with no idle fees, along with plug and charge is fantastic.

Chargepoint, not EA? Wow that’s lame. Has anybody tried any Chargepoint fast chargers? I think Lucid has the best free charging setup of any manufacturer. 3 years unlimited with no idle fees, along with plug and charge is fantastic.
Does Lucid set a limit on charging? Like time or sessions?

Polestar has a free EA charging too for three years. But it’s only the first 30 min. And you have to wait 60 min before getting another free 30 min.

Does Lucid set a limit on charging? Like time or sessions?

Polestar has a free EA charging too for three years. But it’s only the first 30 min. And you have to wait 60 min before getting another free 30 min.
Nope. Unlimited charging, unlimited sessions, 3 years. No idle fees either (though they reserve the right to change this and charge after 10min of idling in the future).

Nope. Unlimited charging, unlimited sessions, 3 years. No idle fees either (though they reserve the right to change this and charge after 10min of idling in the future).

I have no problem with charging for idle time. Someone sitting at a charger taking up vital space should be charged.

I have no problem with charging for idle time. Someone sitting at a charger taking up vital space should be charged.
and those idle fees should increase every 10’. I have no problem with idle fees either. I’m never allowing my car to sit in a charging spot without actively charging as I would not want to be that inconsiderate person.

I also think that rates should increase at 80% and 90%. Time and time again I see people sitting at chargers trying to get to 100% when they don't need to. My last road trip I pulled into a location and took the last available charger. I was the last in and the first out because the others were jamming up the chargers to try and get to 100%. It made no difference if they left at 80% or 100% because they needed to stop at the next location I was stopping at to charge (all these cars had higher EPA ratings than my e-Tron). Sure enough, as I was leaving my second charging stop I saw one of the drivers pull in that I saw at the first location.

I'm sure if pricing increases when you hit a certain % people may be a little eager to stop hogging a charger from someone else for no valid reason. I don't think the dealers do a good enough job at explaining charging best practices. Heck, Lucid told me nothing about charging when I picked up my car. People need to be educated about charger hopping because if getting to 100% doesn't allow you to skip a charger then there is no point in staying.

I also think that rates should increase at 80% and 90%. Time and time again I see people sitting at chargers trying to get to 100% when they don't need to. My last road trip I pulled into a location and took the last available charger. I was the last in and the first out because the others were jamming up the chargers to try and get to 100%. It made no difference if they left at 80% or 100% because they needed to stop at the next location I was stopping at to charge (all these cars had higher EPA ratings than my e-Tron). Sure enough, as I was leaving my second charging stop I saw one of the drivers pull in that I saw at the first location.

I'm sure if pricing increases when you hit a certain % people may be a little eager to stop hogging a charger from someone else for no valid reason. I don't think the dealers do a good enough job at explaining charging best practices. Heck, Lucid told me nothing about charging when I picked up my car. People need to be educated about charger hopping because if getting to 100% doesn't allow you to skip a charger then there is no point in staying.
Yes. Agree to that as well! Actually, when you get to 80% a level 2 charger is going to fill it the rest of the way as fast as a Level 3.

If I use the DC charger at EA every time I want to charge, instead of using my Nema 14-50 Wallbox in my garage, is this bad for the battery in the Lucid long term.

I would like to save on energy bills by charging free for 3 years at EA(1 mile away from my house) every time I need a charge, but will reconsider if this is going to negatively affect the battery in my AGT.

I think I may have hearing someone stating that DC charging should only be used for long trips?? and not for daily or weekly use(I don't put that many miles on my AGT)

Is this true?

If I use the DC charger at EA every time I want to charge, instead of using my Nema 14-50 Wallbox in my garage, is this bad for the battery in the Lucid long term.

I would like to save on energy bills by charging free for 3 years at EA(1 mile away from my house) every time I need a charge, but will reconsider if this is going to negatively affect the battery in my AGT.

I think I may have hearing someone stating that DC charging should only be used for long trips?? and not for daily or weekly use(I don't put that many miles on my AGT)

Is this true?
Fast charging is generally accepted as being harder on batteries than level 1 and 2 charging, I think due to the additional heat created. Sounds like it would probably lead to quicker battery degradation, but seems it is not really that significant of a difference. Plenty of urban Tesla drivers have been using supercharging for all charging needs.

Is this true?
There is research that shows that very fast charging ages the battery somewhat faster than slower charging.

Is this true?
I mean, do what you want, but going to a charging station every couple of days to save around $20 a week or less kinda defeats one of the biggest benefits of owning an EV?

Your time has to be worth more than any money you’ll save.

Back