charging at EA

And he will probably get millions in severance pay and hired on for millions at another corporation. Just like professional football coaches here in the U.S. who get fired for poor team performance get hired by another team. It’s a good ole boy club in many cases.
Actually VW is going to keep paying his CEO salary until 2025 (end of his contract term).

Then he will probably get a big severance :)

On a serious note I’m not sure this is a good thing for VWs transition to electric. It seemed like Diess was the one really taking EVs seriously.

I had a bad experience with EA today….BUT their service people are very good so they deserve credit in being super responsive. I went to the Wal-Mart charger at 8:30 this AM at 24% SOC pre-conditioned. 350kw charger 1 kept saying “processing payment” and froze with either cable and the car said charging stopped , so I called EA and they rebooted their machine. It then connected but reduced power to 52kw and the car said “power limited by charging station”, so the EA rep had me try 350kw charger 3, and that one wouldn’t recognize the car at all, it said “payment not detected” and would just quit. So then I tried the 150kw and it did nothing, so I disconnected and reconnected and then it recognized the car super fast and charged at 172kw.

To make matters worse there was this sketchy sweaty addict clearly in withdrawals who kept pacing around the parking lot and motioning for me to get out of my car. Guess the fiending starts early in the AM! I posted about the experience on PlugShare as it is a problem, as this is the ONLY EA charging spot in the whole state of Rhode Island. Well the EA people called me a few hours later and apologized profusely and said they’re installing security cameras there soon and are sending out a service team to the 350kw chargers right away. So while the experience sucked, they were very proactive about trying to fix it. I was impressed with their customer service.

I had a bad experience with EA today….BUT their service people are very good so they deserve credit in being super responsive. I went to the Wal-Mart charger at 8:30 this AM at 24% SOC pre-conditioned. 350kw charger 1 kept saying “processing payment” and froze with either cable and the car said charging stopped , so I called EA and they rebooted their machine. It then connected but reduced power to 52kw and the car said “power limited by charging station”, so the EA rep had me try 350kw charger 3, and that one wouldn’t recognize the car at all, it said “payment not detected” and would just quit. So then I tried the 150kw and it did nothing, so I disconnected and reconnected and then it recognized the car super fast and charged at 172kw.

To make matters worse there was this sketchy sweaty addict clearly in withdrawals who kept pacing around the parking lot and motioning for me to get out of my car. Guess the fiending starts early in the AM! I posted about the experience on PlugShare as it is a problem, as this is the ONLY EA charging spot in the whole state of Rhode Island. Well the EA people called me a few hours later and apologized profusely and said they’re installing security cameras there soon and are sending out a service team to the 350kw chargers right away. So while the experience sucked, they were very proactive about trying to fix it. I was impressed with their customer service.
you try to reset the car?

you try to reset the car?
Yeah that was the first thing I did before I called them. I reset it a couple times thinking it was the car’s fault, but once I got the rep on the phone she saw some error with that charger. At that location I’ve never gotten over 176kw on their 350kw either when it did work. It’s ok, the 150kw one pulled 172kw which I can’t complain about, but it seems they have issues with these 350kw ones. As for the 8:30 AM crackhead solicitation, I lived in NYC for 19 years so that was no big deal, but I do think that’s something that’s going to increasingly get brought up as more people adopt EVs, like how far away the stations are from buildings and how un-secure they are.

I had a similar experience in Denton (NW of Dallas), one time it didn’t even let me unplug the charging head from GT. I panic and texted to my Houston DA for S.O.S. and hoped I don’t need to have tow truck come pick me up. I was a newbie didn’t even know PlugShares and ABRP, therefore I didn’t just had range anxiety, down to 37 miles situation had me range panic attack seeing 2 EA stations failed. However, I was very happy to drive from Austin to Dallas and going around Dallas for a day without any charge, I couldn’t do that with Tesla for sure.

I had a similar experience in Denton (NW of Dallas), one time it didn’t even let me unplug the charging head from GT. I panic and texted to my Houston DA for S.O.S. and hoped I don’t need to have tow truck come pick me up. I was a newbie didn’t even know PlugShares and ABRP, therefore I didn’t just had range anxiety, down to 37 miles situation had me range panic attack seeing 2 EA stations failed. However, I was very happy to drive from Austin to Dallas and going around Dallas for a day without any charge, I couldn’t do that with Tesla for sure.
What impressed me about the EA people is they wouldn’t get off the phone until they confirmed I could charge my car in some fashion. They seemed prepared to direct me to another location in the event all chargers at this locating wouldn’t work.

I don’t believe them. The customer service people tell you what you want to hear. Drive to that charger tomorrow and see if it’s fixed because from past experience with EA they never seem to get people out that quickly to fix chargers.

What impressed me about the EA people is they wouldn’t get off the phone until they confirmed I could charge my car in some fashion. They seemed prepared to direct me to another location in the event all chargers at this locating wouldn’t work.
I have called EA twice. Both times it took me over 20 minutes on hold before I spoke to anyone. I really don’t find th5 wait acceptable.

EA Customer Service will typically get you up and running BUT what should be a 20 min stop with no issues can turn into a 40 to 60 minute charging stop. The amount of times I’ve had to call them is unacceptable and they‘re really doing nothing to improve the performance of the network.

Back