charging at EA

I think free charging should be limited to chargers more than 100 miles from your home. People who could charge at home, but are charging at public sites to save money is going to become a significant issue over the next couple years as EV sales outpace charger installations. Those who can charge at home need to be encouraged to charge at home so those that can’t or are away from home can use the chargers. People clogging up chargers a mile from home because it is “free” is a bad model.

I think free charging should be limited to chargers more than 100 miles from your home. People who could charge at home, but are charging at public sites to save money is going to become a significant issue over the next couple years as EV sales outpace charger installations. Those who can charge at home need to be encouraged to charge at home so those that can’t or are away from home can use the chargers. People clogging up chargers a mile from home because it is “free” is a bad model.
Some people do not own their homes and have no access to home chargers. They really need to charge offsite and fast chargers are the way they need to do it.

It's already happening where I live. The Walmart chargers are clogged up with cars that all have some sort of free EA charging. Lots of residential in the area I live so it's not a case of not being able to charge at home, people are just wanting the free charging. It's also not really benefiting Walmart either because 90% of the time people remain in the cars so i'm assuming they do it so they can disconnect before the free time is up and they start being charged.

Some people do not own their homes and have no access to home chargers. They really need to charge offsite and fast chargers are the way they need to do it.
Before owning my home, the last 2 places I rented the landlord allowed me to install the 14-50 outlet at my own expense. You own an EV you shouldn't expect to get a free ride on charging it. Even having to foot the bill for the outlets was still cheaper in the long run than if I continued to own an ICE vehicle and have gas expenses.

Everyone should check their EA Charging Plan. The delivery of my car was delayed by 3/29. Unfortunately, my charging plan states that my plan started on 3/4. I asked everyone I could to change this and they are working on it. The word I got is that the contract starts on the day the car is delivered to the store. They are changing the start date to the delivery date for everyone.

Everyone should check their EA Charging Plan. The delivery of my car was delayed by 3/29. Unfortunately, my charging plan states that my plan started on 3/4. I asked everyone I could to change this and they are working on it. The word I got is that the contract starts on the day the car is delivered to the store. They are changing the start date to the delivery date for everyone.
Good to know. Since my car will likely be sitting at the store for a while, they need to start the free charging on the day they are actually able to deliver it to me.

That seems like a mistake. EA isn't even set up at first, only once they process the final paperwork. Mine shows delivery date. The only reason I could see it being a different date was if you purposefully delayed delivery after it was ready.

Good catch. Mine started a week before I picked the car up which like you said, I suspect its when the car arrived at the service center. I'm not going to quibble over a week but for those who have had cars stuck in the service centers for a month etc. it's probably something to pay attention to.

I mean, do what you want, but going to a charging station every couple of days to save around $20 a week or less kinda defeats one of the biggest benefits of owning an EV?

Your time has to be worth more than any money you’ll save.

First of all I am retired, so I have plenty of free time.

I play duplicate bridge online everyday, trade stocks ,do my gardening and take several walks on hiking trails with my wife daily. I have the time, so that is not an issue, so why should I not want to save money if I can.

I have been to the Target parking lot (1 mile away)twice on a Tuesday afternoon at 2:00pm. Both times I am the only person at the chargers, otherwise the 3 chargers would be empty, so I am not inconveniencing anyone.

A little less hostility please

Since I do not put on a lot of mileage and only need to charge once per week, my questions is really one whether charging once a week at a fast DC charger would be detrimental to the life of the battery or whether the difference would be be negligible.

Charging every other day I can understand, but charging once /week, not sure what the impact would be

I'll just be glad when the EA charging stations are more fully rolled out across Texas and the southern states for that matter. In the Dallas metroplex, there are very few stations. and they are mostly west of the metroplex The closest location one is 46 miles from my house.

I play duplicate bridge online everyday, trade stocks ,do my gardening and take several walks on hiking trails with my wife daily. I have the time, so that is not an issue, so why should I not want to save money if I can.

I have been to the Target parking lot (1 mile away)twice on a Tuesday afternoon at 2:00pm. Both times I am the only person at the chargers, otherwise the 3 chargers would be empty, so I am not inconveniencing anyone.

I'm with you. If I can save $20 bucks, I would. That's at least one free dinner out at least once a month!

I have no problem with charging for idle time. Someone sitting at a charger taking up vital space should be charged.

I can understand people losing track of time, and forgetting to return to their car promptly as soon as charging is complete.

But otherwise it’s almost the ultimate dick-move to leave your car plugged in after it’s finished charging.

The ultimate dick-move is for an ICE vehicle owner to park their F350 in two
Supercharging stalls, and then walk away.

I was at the receiving end of the above behaviour a few years ago. The owner of the offending truck had parked before I pulled into the supercharging stalls, and was nowhere to be found. Unfortunately for me, the front desk staff at the Hilton Garden Inn were unwilling to do anything about it.

Since I do not put on a lot of mileage and only need to charge once per week, my questions is really one whether charging once a week at a fast DC charger would be detrimental to the life of the battery or whether the difference would be be negligible.

Charging every other day I can understand, but charging once /week, not sure what the impact would be
I think it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. Lucid has a warranty for 8 years on the battery, and from the data that Tesla users have seen, even fast charging everyday, you most likely will not push the battery out of warranty in that time frame. Very smart for the warranty but what it really means is that if you aren't planning on keeping the car for 20 years or whatever, you can do pretty much anything to it and the degradation wouldn't be TOO far outside normal degradation. Just don't charge to 100 and drain down to 0. If you keep it 20-80%, fast charging once a week probably won't do much of anything. @hmp10 referenced before some studies that the main culprit of battery degradation is # of charge cycles and not specifically fast charging.

Not a battery engineer, not an engineer, nor a chemist, nor anything scientific!

See this, and scroll down about 3/4 of the way.

I'm with you. If I can save $20 bucks, I would. That's at least one free dinner out at least once a month!

Sorry. No hostility meant. You do you.

But to answer your other question, fast charging all the time is probably not good for the battery, technically. Heats the pack up more than slow charging. So you could maybe shorten the life of your pack by a few years and lower the resale value by a chunk. But if that isn't important for your situation, and you don't drive that often, like @hydbob said, it won't likely put too much of a strain on it. I've asked that question a hundred times of so-called "experts" and I get different answers from all of them. I've also seen so many people stress about whether or not they are doing the exact correct dance to make their batteries last longest, and I can't see it being worth the stress. Just about everyone sees the same amount of degradation per year on their packs, unless you are doing extreme amounts of driving, or you live with extreme weather. (Or there's something wrong with the pack, which should be covered under warranty.)

The thing most people agree more on is to not charge to 100% unless you are going on an extended trip and need it immediately. Get it up to 80% or so and stop. That last 20% takes the longest, anyway.

That seems like a mistake. EA isn't even set up at first, only once they process the final paperwork. Mine shows delivery date. The only reason I could see it being a different date was if you purposefully delayed delivery after it was ready.
My delay was due to a temporary suspension on all vehicle deliveries in March due to a production issue. Again, my plan says 3/4, but I didn't get the car until 3/29, not by my choice.

I think it all comes down to how the BMS performs under high load and everyone handles it differently. Some say DC fast charging will degrade your battery faster, others say it doesn't have a huge impact. Probably need more cars out in the wild for a number of years to know if it's truly harmful to the battery or not but yeah, I don't think once a week is going to be detrimental.

The thing most people agree more on is to not charge to 100% unless you are going on an extended trip and need it immediately. Get it up to 80% or so and stop. That last 20% takes the longest, anyway.
+1 to this. Given the range of the car there really is no reason to charge to 100% and that seems to be the one thing everyone agrees on. I've set mine to 80% and will only got to 100% when doing a road trip.

I can understand people losing track of time, and forgetting to return to their car promptly as soon as charging is complete.

But otherwise it’s almost the ultimate dick-move to leave your car plugged in after it’s finished charging.

The ultimate dick-move is for an ICE vehicle owner to park their F350 in two
Supercharging stalls, and then walk away.

I was at the receiving end of the above behaviour a few years ago. The owner of the offending truck had parked before I pulled into the supercharging stalls, and was nowhere to be found. Unfortunately for me, the front desk staff at the Hilton Garden Inn were unwilling to do anything about it.
Saw this at the bank the other day where the EA chargers are. Thankfully it was only blocking one, but it was definitely on purpose. The lot is small but never full and the EA spots are tight.

Back