charging at EA

I used a 350 kW EA in Phoenix (Arizona Mills) to take the charge from 23% to 65% in 17 minutes. It was 93 degrees outside and I did not precondition the battery so it may have been a little warm. It only pulled 198kW to start and leveled off after a few minutes to around 170kW for the rest of the charge.

Won't see close to 300 unless you are under 10%

The closest one to me is still the one at Bell Road and 32nd Street (Fry's Marketplace). It looks like they are going to open one at the 101 and McDowell Road.

I used a 350 kW EA in Phoenix (Arizona Mills) to take the charge from 23% to 65% in 17 minutes. It was 93 degrees outside and I did not precondition the battery so it may have been a little warm. It only pulled 198kW to start and leveled off after a few minutes to around 170kW for the rest of the charge.
That's not too bad.

The closest one to me is still the one at Bell Road and 32nd Street (Fry's Marketplace). It looks like they are going to open one at the 101 and McDowell Road.
that one on Bell Road is starting to get super crowded and 2 of their 4 don't work right now! Which is this other location you're talking about?

that one on Bell Road is starting to get super crowded and 2 of their 4 don't work right now! Which is this other location you're talking about?
I thought I saw a forthcoming icon on the EA locate a charger map showing a forthcoming site at the 101 and McDowell Roads. I don't see it now. I do see a forthcoming site at Grayhawk.

I don't have my Lucid yet and don't need an EA charger for my BMW 530e PHEV but I have driven by the Bell Road site a couple of times out of curiosity and didn't see anyone there. But it is sort of hidden away so once folks discover it, it may get crowded (or may have already passed that mark).

We have a couple of sites near us that are “opening soon”, yet they have been finished but not yet operational for almost a year. Probably lacking the permits. Don’t count on any sites listed on the EA map as “opening soon” to be ready soon.

Won't see close to 300 unless you are under 10%
I peaked at 301 at 17% pre-conditioned battery at a EA charger in upstate NY. But then the charger quit after 8 min, maybe charger overheated, it was 91F outside. Came back after 15 minutes not realizing, so I switched plugs and charged for another 6 min. That’s the benefit of this car charging so crazy fast, if your session fails after a few min you can still get a good amount of range allowing you to find another charger. I got 190 miles off that 14 minutes between those two charging sessions.

I peaked at 301 at 17% pre-conditioned battery at a EA charger in upstate NY. But then the charger quit after 8 min, maybe charger overheated, it was 91F outside. Came back after 15 minutes not realizing, so I switched plugs and charged for another 6 min. That’s the benefit of this car charging so crazy fast, if your session fails after a few min you can still get a good amount of range allowing you to find another charger. I got 190 miles off that 14 minutes between those two charging sessions.
Do you get a notification if the charging session stops?

Do you get a notification if the charging session stops?
Nope I didn’t. I checked the app to see how far along it was and saw it stopped. Right now you get an alert saying “Charging session completed” only when it has charged to the limit you set. That would be a good feature, to get an alert if the session stopped before it hit your charging limit and you didn’t stop it yourself. It’s also possible my phone was still open in my pocket and maybe “stop charging” got bumped though, hard to tell?

There are rumors that EA has all but given up on 350Kw due to cost and is now limiting power at a number of sites across many states. I’ve been to a couple of chargers in CA recently where they’re now splitting power. How widespread / true this is, is yet to be seen but something to keep in mind.
One thing we need to understand is that EA provides a service to the owners of the land that the chargers are placed on. Therefore, EA doesn't decide how the charger locations are configured, the owners have the final say with EA input. If EA had their way, they would put 350kw chargers at every station because they make more money in installation revenue. The owners, such as Walmart, want to bring customers to the store and this is a way to get EV owners to the store and charge while they wait. Putting a 350-kw charger at Walmart where the Lucid will charge 60kwh in 15 min. will not bring the customer in the store to buy a lot, including road travelers coming in off the Interstate. It is to their advantage to have smaller chargers so customers spend more time in the store and buy more. I'm sure they are seeing that and putting more 150 kw and 50 kw chargers in place of 350kw chargers. Just a thought.

There seems to be little benefit from the 350. I use the 150 EA chargers and get very similar results (though I usually try to start preconditioning 10 minutes out). I went from 25% to 63% in 16 minutes.

There seems to be little benefit from the 350. I use the 150 EA chargers and get very similar results (though I usually try to start preconditioning 10 minutes out). I went from 25% to 63% in 16 minutes.
I agree. Based on the charging study done by InsideEV, over the charging cycle of 0% to 100% you only gain about 6 min. in charging time going to a 350 KW from a 150 KW charger. Plenty of time for a pee break, a cool drink, or a nice massage! The only advantage with a 350 charger is if you start out with a low SOC. Above 60% SOC they are virtually the same.

It took 32 minutes to go from 27% to 80% and yes the battery was preconditioned. Don't know if this normal or not. Outside temp 68 degrees

You are exactly right, unless you are in ideal conditions there will be very little difference between a 150kW and 350kW. With a preconditioned battery in cool but not cold conditions I have pulled 178kW from a 150kW charger. While it might be fun to see how many kWs your car can take using a 350kW station, it is not likely to save much time. If I had preconditioned (cooled) the battery before charging, I might have shaved a minute off that time. When it is hot, the battery is going to be thermally limited regardless of SOC.

It took 32 minutes to go from 27% to 80% and yes the battery was preconditioned. Don't know if this normal or not. Outside temp 68 degrees
I got similar results. It took me 30 minutes to go from 23 to 80 yesterday in 72 degree temps. The last 15% almost didn't seem worth it since at that point it felt like it was taking so long.

Everyone should check their EA Charging Plan. The delivery of my car was delayed by 3/29. Unfortunately, my charging plan states that my plan started on 3/4. I asked everyone I could to change this and they are working on it. The word I got is that the contract starts on the day the car is delivered to the store. They are changing the start date to the delivery date for everyone.
Yes, I'm in the same situation. My vehicle was delivered on March 29th, but the plan says it started on February 28th. I've been trying since March 31st to have it corrected. My Studio Advisor keeps telling me not to worry, I'll receive the full three years. I am worried and will continue to contact Lucid about it.

Everyone should check their EA Charging Plan. The delivery of my car was delayed by 3/29. Unfortunately, my charging plan states that my plan started on 3/4. I asked everyone I could to change this and they are working on it. The word I got is that the contract starts on the day the car is delivered to the store. They are changing the start date to the delivery date for everyone.
Where do you exactly check this - is it your Lucid account? I have never bothered even creating an EA account. I've already tested my GT at an EA station and I know the free charging works for me.

Back