Charge only with EA Fast Charger

Oat

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Will using only the EA fast charger hurt my car's battery?
I currently do not have fast a charger installed at home and I plan to only use the EA free fast charging for the first 3 years then install home charger after the free EA charging stops.
Is this a bad idea?

Will using only the EA fast charger hurt my car's battery?
I currently do not have fast a charger installed at home and I plan to only use the EA free fast charging for the first 3 years then install home charger after the free EA charging stops.
Is this a bad idea?
Regularly charging at a high speed charger like EA will degrade your battery faster than charging on a level2 charger at home. That said, plenty of people do this, and 'faster' is relative. If you keep the car for a decade, your battery may degrade quicker. If you keep the car for 3 years, it won't really make much of a difference.

But yes, technically, it is harder on the battery.

Regularly charging at a high speed charger like EA will degrade your battery faster than charging on a level2 charger at home. That said, plenty of people do this, and 'faster' is relative. If you keep the car for a decade, your battery may degrade quicker. If you keep the car for 3 years, it won't really make much of a difference.

But yes, technically, it is harder on the battery.
Got it, thanks!

Fast charging will degrade the battery faster than level 2 charging. That said, the battery degradation may not be that great to be a worry. If you are planning to install a level 2 charger at home, you should do it now. The time spent waiting to charge at EA is not worth the few dollars of electricity at home. Home charging takes zero time and put zero additional miles on your car. The convenience of home charging is worth the small cost. During the winter in AZ, we have super off-peak from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM of 4 cents per kWhr. I can completely recharge my battery for $5.

Fast charging will degrade the battery faster than level 2 charging. That said, the battery degradation may not be that great to be a worry. If you are planning to install a level 2 charger at home, you should do it now. The time spent waiting to charge at EA is not worth the few dollars of electricity at home. Home charging takes zero time and put zero additional miles on your car. The convenience of home charging is worth the small cost. During the winter in AZ, we have super off-peak from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM of 4 cents per kWhr. I can completely recharge my battery for $5.
That's true, but now I am finding every reason to take my car out for a drive. It's actually fun for me to go out, find an EA charger and sit in my car and enjoy music while waiting for the car to finish charging. When that excitement dies, then I will install a charger at home. LOL

That's true, but now I am finding every reason to take my car out for a drive. It's actually fun for me to go out, find an EA charger and sit in my car and enjoy music while waiting for the car to finish charging. When that excitement dies, then I will install a charger at home. LOL
I have had my car almost 10 months and the excitement never dies down. I still look for an excuse to drive. I do go to EA on occasion to see socialize but not becasue I need to. The convenience of home charging is just too attractive. Go to EA when it is easy, but don't put yourself in the position of having to go to EA.

I have had my car almost 10 months and the excitement never dies down. I still look for an excuse to drive. I do go to EA on occasion to see socialize but not becasue I need to. The convenience of home charging is just too attractive. Go to EA when it is easy, but don't put yourself in the position of having to go to EA.
Which home charger should I get? Should I get the Lucid wall charger?

Check your state and power company rebates. My power company is giving me 75 percent off of the cost of the home charger
These rebates won't last long, I'd take advantage of them now

I'll echo what @Volund said above. My state (NJ) and my local power company both have rebates for EV home charger installation. The only overlapping charger on the approved list was the Juicebox so that's what I went with. Bought it on a cyber Monday deal so it was a little cheaper than retail price. Local power company is giving me up to $1500 toward the cost of panel upgrades, wiring, and charger installation. State is giving me $250 off the cost of the charger. So overall the net cost is about $400 for all the work. I believe there is also a federal rebate for home charging but I'm not that familiar with the details. Anyway, point is that it's worth looking into and may mean you have to choose specific chargers.

Go to EA when it is easy, but don't put yourself in the position of having to go to EA.

So true. Oat might not know there are several other threads currently active on this forum discussing the growing problems with the EA charging network. And just yesterday, Kyle Conner of "Out of Spec Motoring" posted a video advising that NONE of the new EA chargers that are replacing the old ones will connect to cars in cold weather:

I live in Maryland and checked the incentives. Looks like MD ran out of money and won’t have anything until July 2023, and my local Pepco only gives out $50 rebate…
Nothing on the federal level. If anyone knows differently please do let me know.🤷🏻‍♂️

I'll echo what @Volund said above. My state (NJ) and my local power company both have rebates for EV home charger installation. The only overlapping charger on the approved list was the Juicebox so that's what I went with. Bought it on a cyber Monday deal so it was a little cheaper than retail price. Local power company is giving me up to $1500 toward the cost of panel upgrades, wiring, and charger installation. State is giving me $250 off the cost of the charger. So overall the net cost is about $400 for all the work. I believe there is also a federal rebate for home charging but I'm not that familiar with the details. Anyway, point is that it's worth looking into and may mean you have to choose specific chargers.
I believe the federal tax credit is the same as the EV car break, in the Inflation, 30% of the cost of the charger & installation.

So true. Oat might not know there are several other threads currently active on this forum discussing the growing problems with the EA charging network. And just yesterday, Kyle Conner of "Out of Spec Motoring" posted a video advising that NONE of the new EA chargers that are replacing the old ones will connect to cars in cold weather:

Article on WSJ about the need for improved charging infrastructure for electric cars to become mainstream and the difficulties especially in cold weather

I believe the federal tax credit is the same as the EV car break, in the Inflation, 30% of the cost of the charger & installation.
But there are more limitations on physical address (low income area) and others to qualify -- I doubt that any new Lucid owner would be in a qualifying area. Those that are interested should order one NOW from Amazon to qualify for the 30% credit. I did this in November to get the charger and all of the electrical I'll need to install the 2nd charger. 30% is off the total cost up to $1000 back.

But there are more limitations on physical address (low income area) and others to qualify -- I doubt that any new Lucid owner would be in a qualifying area. Those that are interested should order one NOW from Amazon to qualify for the 30% credit. I did this in November to get the charger and all of the electrical I'll need to install the 2nd charger. 30% is off the total cost up to $1000 back.
???? I hadn't heard of a qualifying physical address, only a maximum household income.

???? I hadn't heard of a qualifying physical address, only a maximum household income.

From ... https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513

Beginning January 1, 2023, fueling equipment for natural gas, propane, hydrogen, electricity, E85, or diesel fuel blends containing a minimum of 20% biodiesel, is eligible for a tax credit of 30% of the cost or 6% in the case of property subject to depreciation, not to exceed $100,000. Permitting and inspection fees are not included in covered expenses.

Eligible fueling equipment must be installed in locations that meet the following census tract requirements:

• A population census tract where the poverty rate is at least 20%; or
  • Metropolitan and non-metropolitan area census tract where the median family income is less than 80% of the state medium family income level.

You sound like me, first 3 months I only did EA charge. I was also waiting for Lucid home charger. In July, I couldn’t wait anymore and installed ChargeBox at home instead. Now the only reason I go to EA is if I go out of town. It is so convenient you can just charge in your sleep at home.

You sound like me, first 3 months I only did EA charge. I was also waiting for Lucid home charger. In July, I couldn’t wait anymore and installed ChargeBox at home instead. Now the only reason I go to EA is if I go out of town. It is so convenient you can just charge in your sleep at home.
I mean WallBox EVSE, not ChargeBox.

Back