Camping mode enabled

BACamster

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring QG
First time camping with my AT. It hauled all of my camping gears.
IMG_9602.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9603.jpeg
    IMG_9603.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 182
I have a camping event I go to each year that I set up a "living room" at and stay offsite. I have a 10' X 15' commercial grade pop-up that fit perfectly through the passthrough of the AGT. Along with a table, multiple chairs, a rug that is laid down, coolers along with another passenger and 2 weeks worth of clothing & garb (its a medieval type event).

Last year I test loaded it fully expecting to have to switch to the SUV and didn't have to. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Attachments

• PXL_20220811_164819747.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220811_164819747.MP.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 189
  • PXL_20220811_164808011.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220811_164808011.MP.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 202
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there's a way to disable the lights when unlocking the Air? I'm camping right now and every time I unlock the car, the lights go right into the camper across the way lol

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there's a way to disable the lights when unlocking the Air? I'm camping right now and every time I unlock the car, the lights go right into the camper across the way lol
nope!

Yeah I guess park the car in a way so the lights aren’t shining on them. 🤷‍♂️. I don’t know of a way to the light show off when unlocking.

Little workaround possibility that worked for me only if you don't need to get into the car itself. If you turn off Bluetooth, you can walk up to the car and use the app to open the frunk (and probably trunk) without all the lights turning on. I hope my new neighbors appreciate it 🤣

I have the hi-fi Tidal option and just now came back from a listening session ( tonight in the driveway, windows open ). one of the issues is I like to sit in the car for hours listening to music. the premium audio option in this car is outstanding. problem is the lights are always on.

I really, really wish they would add this. Makes the car pretty much terrible for amateur astronomer star parties.

There should always be a way to turn off all lights for the car, full-stop. And have them stay off until I turn them back on. Drives me nuts.

i'm taking mine to a camping trip in a few weeks. my plan is to arrive early and unload everything before sunset so i have no reason to unlock the car after dark.

I really, really wish they would add this. Makes the car pretty much terrible for amateur astronomer star parties.
Yeah, not to mention having unattended/unexpected quickie sex with the lights on.
Big no no, for me atleast.

Yeah, not to mention having unattended/unexpected quickie sex with the lights on.
Big no no, for me atleast.
Creative minds can find creative solutions ;)

I like to listen to music late at night. I really wish I could do it without the lights. Usually I sit in the garage but it's been so nice lately I've been in the driveway with all the windows open...wondering if the neighbors mind the strange sounds and flashing lights at 3 am...

...i love the audio in this car.

I wonder if it's as simple as pulling a fuse ?

I like to listen to music late at night. I really wish I could do it without the lights. Usually I sit in the garage but it's been so nice lately I've been in the driveway with all the windows open...wondering if the neighbors mind the strange sounds and flashing lights at 3 am...

...i love the audio in this car.

I wonder if it's as simple as pulling a fuse ?
There have been a lot of reports about aliens in the news lately. Better let your neighbors know it’s just you out there before they get any ideas. 😀

IMG_0396.jpeg

These new 19" wheels/tires sure are smooth on gravel. I drove in here in the dark and wasn't sure at first if I'd left the pavement behind. Barely felt a slip going up muddy hills too. On top of that, I had as much camping gear in the frunk/trunk as my MB SUV could fit with the seats folded down. Without invading the cabin. What a champ. Still, I can't wait to take a Gravity out camping and not worry about every rock I go over.

Yeah I’ve been on dirt, sand and gravel on the 19s, performed much better than I expected. I still don’t want to drive the car on those surfaces cuz you can’t taunt the off road damage gods forever and escape their wrath, but when ending up on those roads by accident the car does great.

We took Lucid camping to another level while chasing the moon-shadow this weekend:

IMG_0489.jpeg

The Exped Duo air mattress fits just about perfectly with the back seats down.

IMG_0500.jpeg

Add a mess of blankets and whatnot, roll up the window shades, and it makes for a very cozy "tent."
Us two (relatively slim, to be fair) adults fit back there perfectly as well. Surprisingly, there's even plenty of room under the parcel shelf for me to lay on my side. I know from experience that's not the case in every sedan.
The result: we both slept soundly through the night. I have a hard time doing that at home half the time. We actually brought a 4-season tent as well, but never bothered putting it up because this was easier and more comfortable.

IMG_0506.jpeg

Creature comfort mode kept us creatures comfortable all night. It was cold out - I'd say 30-50ºF - but I think it was mostly A/C running rather than heat, since 2 people in a confined, fairly well insulated space produce plenty of heat. It looks like Creature Comfort used about 1kW on average overnight, meaning roughly 10-15% of my Touring battery. This seems to be on par with what Tesla owners have reported from their camper mode. Just be sure you actually put the car mostly to sleep by locking it, otherwise it'll drain more. For safety, I took a battery powered CO2 meter with an audible alarm on the trip. Luckily there were no issues with Creature Comfort running. It did go off pretty easily without HVAC though. Keep that in mind if you're sleeping in cars, especially if they are reasonably air-sealed.

IMG_0492.jpeg

Still a ridiculous amount of cargo space even with the back used as a bed. I had this 35L powered cooler in the frunk (which doesn't have any power). At those low outside temps, I just threw a cooler brick in there and it stayed icy without power for 4 days. For other trips I've kept this in the trunk where it can be powered off the 12V, but it's a bit too tall to fit with the foldable trunk floor down for sleeping.

The negatives (sort of):
- I don't think it's possible to completely lock the car from the inside with the fob unless you have a faraday bag? You can lock it, but I assume pressing the door handles will still unlock it. I didn't think about this before leaving, so the faraday bag stayed home. No home invasions this time, but something to note for the future. It'd be nice if a "camp mode" would let you disable handle unlocking.
- The screens can't be turned off in either hold or creature comfort mode as far as I can tell, so they're pretty bright as seen in the picture above. @Bunnylebowski has a funky workaround suggestion for this, but I haven't tried it yet.
- While I can turn the exterior lights off via Home Assistant, unlocking or locking the car will turn them back on. I may have slept with my car facing another car-ful of campers and regretted this. I wish this could be disabled temporarily.
- The only way to activate or deactivate hold or creature comfort is by opening and closing the driver's door. Makes sense for those features, not so much when your plan is to stay in the car. There was a lot of fiddling as we needed to get in and out and turn the feature back on repeatedly. A real camp mode should be activated purely from the screen(s).
- USB-C plugs (at least most of them?) are not powered in this mode. It would be nice if they stayed on for camp mode to keep gadgets charging.

None of these things are bugs, because camp mode isn't a thing currently. However, I think these features are what it would take to add a camp mode to the existing set of HVAC controls. I sure would love to see all this in the Gravity especially.

We took Lucid camping to another level while chasing the moon-shadow this weekend:

View attachment 19837

The Exped Duo air mattress fits just about perfectly with the back seats down.

View attachment 19838

Add a mess of blankets and whatnot, roll up the window shades, and it makes for a very cozy "tent."
Us two (relatively slim, to be fair) adults fit back there perfectly as well. Surprisingly, there's even plenty of room under the parcel shelf for me to lay on my side. I know from experience that's not the case in every sedan.
The result: we both slept soundly through the night. I have a hard time doing that at home half the time. We actually brought a 4-season tent as well, but never bothered putting it up because this was easier and more comfortable.

View attachment 19839

Creature comfort mode kept us creatures comfortable all night. It was cold out - I'd say 30-50ºF - but I think it was mostly A/C running rather than heat, since 2 people in a confined, fairly well insulated space produce plenty of heat. It looks like Creature Comfort used about 1kW on average overnight, meaning roughly 10-15% of my Touring battery. This seems to be on par with what Tesla owners have reported from their camper mode. Just be sure you actually put the car mostly to sleep by locking it, otherwise it'll drain more. For safety, I took a battery powered CO2 meter with an audible alarm on the trip. Luckily there were no issues with Creature Comfort running. It did go off pretty easily without HVAC though. Keep that in mind if you're sleeping in cars, especially if they are reasonably air-sealed.

View attachment 19840

Still a ridiculous amount of cargo space even with the back used as a bed. I had this 35L powered cooler in the frunk (which doesn't have any power). At those low outside temps, I just threw a cooler brick in there and it stayed icy without power for 4 days. For other trips I've kept this in the trunk where it can be powered off the 12V, but it's a bit too tall to fit with the foldable trunk floor down for sleeping.

The negatives (sort of):
- I don't think it's possible to completely lock the car from the inside with the fob unless you have a faraday bag? You can lock it, but I assume pressing the door handles will still unlock it. I didn't think about this before leaving, so the faraday bag stayed home. No home invasions this time, but something to note for the future. It'd be nice if a "camp mode" would let you disable handle unlocking.
- The screens can't be turned off in either hold or creature comfort mode as far as I can tell, so they're pretty bright as seen in the picture above. @Bunnylebowski has a funky workaround suggestion for this, but I haven't tried it yet.
- While I can turn the exterior lights off via Home Assistant, unlocking or locking the car will turn them back on. I may have slept with my car facing another car-ful of campers and regretted this. I wish this could be disabled temporarily.
- The only way to activate or deactivate hold or creature comfort is by opening and closing the driver's door. Makes sense for those features, not so much when your plan is to stay in the car. There was a lot of fiddling as we needed to get in and out and turn the feature back on repeatedly. A real camp mode should be activated purely from the screen(s).
- USB-C plugs (at least most of them?) are not powered in this mode. It would be nice if they stayed on for camp mode to keep gadgets charging.

None of these things are bugs, because camp mode isn't a thing currently. However, I think these features are what it would take to add a camp mode to the existing set of HVAC controls. I sure would love to see all this in the Gravity especially.
Stop beating around the bush.
How was the sex?
You don't need to answer it off course :)

Back