Road Trip to Prescott and Flagstaff, AZ

emoylv

Verified Owner
Cars
08 Dodge Challenger SRT
Just went on a short 2-day trip from Las Vegas to Prescott and Flagstaff, AZ. Charged the Lucid Touring to 90% at EA, then topped off to 100% at home - 382 miles of calculated range. Trip estimate is 254 miles. Elevation in Prescott is 5,400 ft MSL; elevation in Las Vegas is 2,480. Punched in my destination, and the Lucid added a stop in Kingman, AZ to recharge. Good thing, because I would have never made it. Temperature was around 90 degrees, so not super hot. I think what "did" me in was the 97-mile run between Kingman and Ash Fork. The posted speed limit is 75 but I averaged 83 (at least that's what the speedo showed). Used cruise control for the run.

The run from Prescott to Flagstaff is 95 miles, from 5,400 to 7,000 ft MSL. You drive through Prescott Valley on 69, then catch 169 to I-17. I-17 has lots of twists and turns, but the speed limit is 75! Hit rain between (near) Camp Verde and Flagstaff. Set the cruise to 83, and the Lucid ran like a stripe of paint - unbelievable control and performance. My daughter drove her Honda CR-V and said no way could/would she even go at the speed limit, much less over it.

Drive from Flagstaff to Las Vegas was pleasant. Again, the Lucid programmed a stop for me in Kingman. Again, lucky I obeyed!

My takeaways:
First, speeds above 80 really zap the mileage, as others have pointed out. I just didn't know how severe it was until I had the experience. Even dropping from 7,000 to 2,480 ft, I didn't recover any appreciable miles from regen.
Second, the charging experience at EA stations leave a great deal for improvement. Even on the HyperFast chargers, I never got above 120kW and mostly got around 90. I don't know if it's the charger performance or if Lucid is being conservative on protecting the battery.
Third, plan your charge stops, so you don't ruin your trip. I probably should move this to #1.
Fourth and most important: The most fun road trip that I can remember. This was why I bought the Lucid. Other than the charging experience, I couldn't be more pleased. Performance was flawless.

Did you take the 89a through Jerome and Sedona on your way from Prescott to Flagstaff?

No, I’m going to do that next time. What gorgeous country! My last time through was in the mid 70s. So much growth.
NAU was just a couple of Quonset huts, believe it or not.

NAU was just a couple of Quonset huts, believe it or not.
Lol! That is a great drive. Let me know next time and I would try to meet up for the drive through the canyon.

A Better Route Planner will help you figure out charging needs and locations enroute for long road trips. I spend a little time planning and evaluating alternatives before starting off.

Did you take the 89a through Jerome and Sedona on your way from Prescott to Flagstaff?
Spectacular view. But I think it is even better in the reverse direction: Flagstaff to Sedona. While Oak Creek Canyon doesn't quite match the Grand Canyon (especially since the fire a few years back), we can drive THROUGH Oak Creek Canyon, one can't do that at the Grand Canyon.

A Better Route Planner will help you figure out charging needs and locations enroute for long road trips. I spend a little time planning and evaluating alternatives before starting off.
No listing for Lucid Touring, only for Dream and Grand Touring

Spectacular view. But I think it is even better in the reverse direction: Flagstaff to Sedona. While Oak Creek Canyon doesn't quite match the Grand Canyon (especially since the fire a few years back), we can drive THROUGH Oak Creek Canyon, one can't do that at the Grand Canyon.
Thanks for the tip. Maybe my next run will be to Flagstaff then Sedona through Jerome to Prescott.

Just went on a short 2-day trip from Las Vegas to Prescott and Flagstaff, AZ. Charged the Lucid Touring to 90% at EA, then topped off to 100% at home - 382 miles of calculated range. Trip estimate is 254 miles. Elevation in Prescott is 5,400 ft MSL; elevation in Las Vegas is 2,480. Punched in my destination, and the Lucid added a stop in Kingman, AZ to recharge. Good thing, because I would have never made it. Temperature was around 90 degrees, so not super hot. I think what "did" me in was the 97-mile run between Kingman and Ash Fork. The posted speed limit is 75 but I averaged 83 (at least that's what the speedo showed). Used cruise control for the run.

The run from Prescott to Flagstaff is 95 miles, from 5,400 to 7,000 ft MSL. You drive through Prescott Valley on 69, then catch 169 to I-17. I-17 has lots of twists and turns, but the speed limit is 75! Hit rain between (near) Camp Verde and Flagstaff. Set the cruise to 83, and the Lucid ran like a stripe of paint - unbelievable control and performance. My daughter drove her Honda CR-V and said no way could/would she even go at the speed limit, much less over it.

Drive from Flagstaff to Las Vegas was pleasant. Again, the Lucid programmed a stop for me in Kingman. Again, lucky I obeyed!

My takeaways:
First, speeds above 80 really zap the mileage, as others have pointed out. I just didn't know how severe it was until I had the experience. Even dropping from 7,000 to 2,480 ft, I didn't recover any appreciable miles from regen.
Second, the charging experience at EA stations leave a great deal for improvement. Even on the HyperFast chargers, I never got above 120kW and mostly got around 90. I don't know if it's the charger performance or if Lucid is being conservative on protecting the battery.
Third, plan your charge stops, so you don't ruin your trip. I probably should move this to #1.
Fourth and most important: The most fun road trip that I can remember. This was why I bought the Lucid. Other than the charging experience, I couldn't be more pleased. Performance was flawless.
Do you know if your tire pressures were at nominal, above, or below? I keep mine slightly over-inflated (50-51 psi) and get about 3.9 average mi/kWH. When the tire pressure drops to nominal it seems the mileage decreases somewhat. Does anyone else notice that?

Do you know if your tire pressures were at nominal, above, or below? I keep mine slightly over-inflated (50-51 psi) and get about 3.9 average mi/kWH. When the tire pressure drops to nominal it seems the mileage decreases somewhat. Does anyone else notice that?
Slap on forehead! No, I did not think about doing that. I do that with every car in my garage - except the Lucid. I'll do that today and make it a regular occurrence. TBH, I haven't checked it since I've owned it (December, 2022). Thanks for the suggestion.

Did your regen breaking change, due to your higher state of charge?

Did your regen breaking change, due to your higher state of charge?
After the last couple of software updates, I've noticed that the regen is not as aggressive as before. The car rolls a lot farther before it comes to a complete stop, I've had to use the brake pedal a few times, something I don't recall having to do ever before.

I've done the trip from Vegas to Flag a few times - how was Lucid on the bumpy part of I-40? There's like a 10 mile section of highway that is more like driving in the rocky desert than on a freeway. Suspension held up nice?

I have driven from Flagstaff to Kingman on I-40. Yes the road is rough but even on 21" wheels, the ride was great.

My takeaways:
Setting ACC to 72mph will make a huge difference in range and not much difference in door to door time. 72 is really 70.

Setting ACC to 72mph will make a huge difference in range and not much difference in door to door time. 72 is really 70.
Yes, but the temptation was too great lol! You're absolutely correct. Going slower would have saved me a splash at Kingman, so I would have arrived in Prescott about the same time, maybe even sooner.

I have driven from Flagstaff to Kingman on I-40. Yes the road is rough but even on 21" wheels, the ride was great.
I'm on 20's. Ride wasn't bad at all. Not as smooth as our Lexus RX450h but that's an SUV, about 800lbs lighter and softer springs to begin with. Plus a higher ride height.

Back