Backup Camera battle with Garage Door Opener

AZ-Don

Cars
Quantum Gray GT
Am I missing something. When I back out of my garage the backup cameras take over the screen. Does everyone have to close the backup camera screen to get to their garage door screen to close their garage doors? It's even worse for me because my driveway has a gate, and the gate is just far enough that the range isn't always within reach of the garage door. But the distance is short enough that I do have to back out of the garage and the gate.

My problem is that I need to back out of my garage, cancel the backup camera, open the garage door screen, close the garage, turn on the backup camera, back out of my gate, turn off the backup camera, open the garage door screen, close my gate, turn on my backup camera so I can finish backing out of my driveway. It's like eight or more steps for me to just leave my house.

There has to be a better way. I could put the garage and gate openers in the car, but it defeats the purpose of having the system in the car at all. And I suppose to cut down on steps I could back the car all the way down the driveway. That way backup cameras are not on when I leave. Lot of trouble for something that should be simple.

Last edited:
Am I missing something. When I back out of my garage the backup cameras take over the screen. Does everyone have to close the backup camera screen to get to their garage door screen to close their garage doors? It's even worse for me because my driveway has a gate, and the gate is just far enough that the range isn't always within reach of the garage door. But the distance is short enough that I do have to back out of the garage and the gate.

My problem is that I need to back out of my garage, cancel the backup camera, open the garage door screen, close the garage, turn on the backup camera, back out of my gate, turn off the backup camera, open the garage door screen, close my gate, turn on my backup camera so I can finish backing out of my driveway. It's like eight or more steps for me to just leave my house.

There has to be a better way.
This is a well known design flaw that Lucid is aware of. Not sure when a fix will be coming. But many here have complained about it.

I've gotten used to doing the same thing, but the good thing is the 360 view stays up so then you can still use that view to ensure nothing is directly behind you.

There has to be a better way. I could put the garage and gate openers in the car, but it defeats the purpose of having the system in the car at all. And I suppose to cut down on steps I could back the car all the way down the driveway. That way backup cameras are not on when I leave. Lot of trouble for something that should be simple.
I bought a three button garage door remote and clipped on sun visor -- both for yout problem and also for my agt is going to the servicer because homelink doesnt work.

In future does the parking and fetch my car feature park the car in the garage if you get off in the drive way and likewise, can you open the garage door, walk to the driveway and summon the car to the driveway? I seriously doubt it and if it does, my driveway is at a slight angle to the garage and of course there are no parking spot separator lines to guide as in a parking lot. It would be so cool if Lucid can do that in future though.

I agree. I have a gate at the end of my driveway, and then the garage door. It would be great if the Homelink would stay active so I don't have to first open the driveway gate, and then dig through the menu again to bring up Homelink to open the garage since it disappears. I am holding out hope that Lucid will come up with some geo-fencing capability that will allow us to tell the car which devices to open based on the proximity. I know, First-World problems, but one can hope!

With the 2.x update, and the change to the icons on the cockpit panel, if you hit the homelink button does it bring you directly to the devices, or first to the user profiles as mine does briefly before switching to devices?

Agree @AZ-Don - same exact issue - garage + gate and backup cameras.

I'm waiting for the day that they a) show the homelink somewhere that isn't overlaid by the cameras, b) leave the homelink screen on longer when I arrive (it disappears after pressing gate but before I can press garage, so I have to dig back into the menu to bring it back up), and c) auto-open when I arrive at the house through geofencing unless I cancel it (like the tesla does).

Would save me about 12 clicks every round-trip from my house.

Yes I have the same issue. I just updated to 2.015 last night so maybe it’s been addressed, but yes I need to switch back and forth between the back up cameras and homelink when backing as well as coming in. I often have to hit the homelink open garage 2-3 times before the door opens. I have thick insulated doors so expect to have to go at it a couple of times before I get sync, but it would be really nice if the garage door opener stayed open indefinitely in the upper screen while the parking cameras stayed open on the lower larger screen. Currently the homelink stays open just long enough to get one push, then closes. I have a 60’ long driveway and by the time I get from the street to the front of the garage it closes (homelink). It then becomes a task to open homelink hit the door., it closes whether the door syncs or not, so have to open it again and go through the process 2 -4 times before the door opens. It would be much more convenient in my situation at least if homelink stayed open until I decided to close it.

Hi all. I had the same issue. The way I solved it was to add garage door control to Alexa. There’s an Alexa app called LiveKey which talks with various systems. In my case it communicates with MyQ/Chamberlain/LifeMaster.

After you set it up, you’ll be able to just tell Alexa to “close garage door”. You can also set it to “open garage door”.

Hi all. I had the same issue. The way I solved it was to add garage door control to Alexa. There’s an Alexa app called LiveKey which talks with various systems. In my case it communicates with MyQ/Chamberlain/LifeMaster.

After you set it up, you’ll be able to just tell Alexa to “close garage door”. You can also set it to “open garage door”.
If you have an iPhone you can use Siri for that as well by linking MyQ to the home app.

That LiveKey tip was the lifesaver connector. Now have MyQ working with Alexa and Siri.

Another camera battle is while pulling into the garage. Front camera pops up as you get close to objects on the front wall, but I want to see the rear view to pull up just clearing the garage goor seam, but if you inch forward again, the camera view switches to the front view. Tha battle ensues with the front and rear views. Seems like Lucid needs a rethink for this and the homelink ui issue.

Does this work with dual garage doors? I can’t seem to get it to actuate any of the doors or even all. There are no options on the LiveKey for specific doors. What settings did you have on the MyQ to get it to work?

If you have an iPhone you can use Siri for that as well by linking MyQ to the home app.
This requires an Apple Home. I can’t link MyQ to the Home app without an Apple device like TV or Home.

I’ve read and tried multiple things but it seems like I can’t get the two apps to communicate.

Does this work with dual garage doors? I can’t seem to get it to actuate any of the doors or even all. There are no options on the LiveKey for specific doors. What settings did you have on the MyQ to get it to work?

This requires an Apple Home. I can’t link MyQ to the Home app without an Apple device like TV or Home.

I’ve read and tried multiple things but it seems like I can’t get the two apps to communicate.

I have two garage doors and both now work with Alexa. Going from memory a bit

First step was having both doors working in the MyQ app... as you normally would. Once that's done, go into LiveKey and hit the + button in the bottom right and select "Add/Edit Integrations". That will pull up a long list of available integrations, one of which is MyQ.
AC08A797-67D4-40A0-9468-E6665359D8EB.png

Doing so, will then ask you to log into MyQ. Enter your credentials. Once it does so, all of your devices, including ideally multiple garage doors will show up.
94A9F62E-FD43-42BE-B24D-25572322369B.png

You can test that the connection is working by firing an open and close to any of your doors and make sure they activate. Mine worked instantly. But that's not getting you voice activation yet...

Click your first door on the menu... there will be several options that come up on the bottom... you want the Voice Actions bit. Click it.
D56A5B45-EBEB-45AC-BE21-133C2DBC6218.png

There will then be the option to add it to Alexa and to Siri. Note, you currently will have the "close" option active by default, so only the Close action will be added. You will then need to click the "open" button and add those skills to Alexa (and Siri).

Now, go into your Alexa App on your phone... click "more" and select skills and games. There search for and activate the skill called "kloee for SC". After you do that, it will prompt you for your LiveKey credentials (it'll say SimpleCommands login but kloee is the cloud enablement of SimpleCommands, so your LiveKey login will work).

Back in your Alexa App, if you go to Devices, scroll right on the top row and you'll get to Scenes.

4AB4CCDE-E8D9-4B10-BEC9-2A4DA7E0F5C7.png

Click it, then click "Discover Scenes". It'll take a minute or two but Alexa will find the scenes you've added. If you've done it right so far, you'll have an open and close event for each door.

8C1DED0B-C645-4CB3-9424-0BCED9C19248.png

Last step... setting up a routine so that you can use language you'd actually use to trigger the events. Again in the Alexa App, click "More" (lower right corner), then Click "Routines".

Hit + to start a new routine. You'll want to create a routine to open and a separate routine to close each door.

Name it whatever you want (I used garage door 1 open, garage door 2 open, garage door 1 close, etc.)

Then click "When This happens...", then select Select Voice, then type the phrase you want to use... I used "Open the garage" for my main garage door. You can enter multiple phrases to do the same thing... just add as many as you like. I also used "open the garage door" in case I forget exactly what I used. When you have all your phrases, click Next in the upper right.

Then click "Add Action" (the third menu item) - Then "Smart Home" - Then "Scenes". Here is where the list of Scenes you just set up via LiveKey show up. Select the action appropriate one (close for the correct door, for example if you're doing the close command).

Lastly, click Add, and then Save (in the upper right).

Repeat for each open and close for each door and you're done. All in, took me maybe 20 minutes to do both doors. They key step that took me a bit was getting Alexa to discover new scenes.

Last edited:

First step was having both doors working in the MyQ app... as you normally would. Once that's done, go into LiveKey and hit the + button in the bottom right and select "Add/Edit Integrations". That will pull up a long list of available integrations, one of which is MyQ.
View attachment 8241
Doing so, will then ask you to log into MyQ. Enter your credentials. Once it does so, all of your devices, including ideally multiple garage doors will show up.
View attachment 8242

You can test that the connection is working by firing an open and close to any of your doors and make sure they activate. Mine worked instantly. But that's not getting you voice activation yet...

Click your first door on the menu... there will be several options that come up on the bottom... you want the Voice Actions bit. Click it.
View attachment 8243
There will then be the option to add it to Alexa and to Siri. Note, you currently will have the "close" option active by default, so only the Close action will be added. You will then need to click the "open" button and add those skills to Alexa (and Siri).

Now, go into your Alexa App on your phone... click "more" and select skills and games. There search for and activate the skill called "kloee for SC". After you do that, it will prompt you for your LiveKey credentials (it'll say SimpleCommands login but kloee is the cloud enablement of SimpleCommands, so your LiveKey login will work).

Back in your Alexa App, if you go to Devices, scroll right on the top row and you'll get to Scenes.

View attachment 8244

Click it, then click "Discover Scenes". It'll take a minute or two but Alexa will find the scenes you've added. If you've done it right so far, you'll have an open and close event for each door.

View attachment 8245

Last step... setting up a routine so that you can use language you'd actually use to trigger the events. Again in the Alexa App, click "More" (lower right corner), then Click "Routines".

Hit + to start a new routine. You'll want to create a routine to open and a separate routine to close each door.

Name it whatever you want (I used garage door 1 open, garage door 2 open, garage door 1 close, etc.)

Then click "When This happens...", then select Select Voice, then type the phrase you want to use... I used "Open the garage" for my main garage door. You can enter multiple phrases to do the same thing... just add as many as you like. I also used "open the garage door" in case I forget exactly what I used. When you have all your phrases, click Next in the upper right.

Then click "Add Action" (the third menu item) - Then "Smart Home" - Then "Scenes". Here is where the list of Scenes you just set up via LiveKey show up. Select the action appropriate one (close for the correct door, for example if you're doing the close command).

Repeat for each open and close for each door and you're done. All in, took me maybe 20 minutes to do both doors. They key step that took me a bit was getting Alexa to discover new scenes.
You are awesome! This is a fantastic step by step.

However, I’m stuck on LiveKey not acknowledging both doors. Because of this, it’s not allowing me to open either door despite the LiveKey app saying it’s open or closed. It works and both doors show on MyQ so I’m not sure where the disconnect is in the circuit. I’ve tried logging out and uninstalling both apps and changed passwords on both a few times. For some reason it’s not meant to be for me.

I’m obsessed now, so I’ll continue until I get it or I lose hope. If something changes, I’ll post, but thank you for this tutorial.

Another camera battle is while pulling into the garage. Front camera pops up as you get close to objects on the front wall, but I want to see the rear view to pull up just clearing the garage goor seam, but if you inch forward again, the camera view switches to the front view. Tha battle ensues with the front and rear views. Seems like Lucid needs a rethink for this and the homelink ui issue.
I use the 360 view to figure out how far to pull in.

I use the 360 view to figure out how far to pull in.
my desire is to clear the garage door by a few inches to maximize space in front of the vehicle. 360 view doesn’t seem accurate enough for that, will have to practice more! Guess another drive is in my future tomorrow before the rains return!

my desire is to clear the garage door by a few inches to maximize space in front of the vehicle. 360 view doesn’t seem accurate enough for that, will have to practice more! Guess another drive is in my future tomorrow before the rains return!
Get the car in the spot you want. Get back into the car turn on the 360 view and then look at where the shaded area touches your garage spaces and bingo!

View attachment 8241
View attachment 8242

View attachment 8243

View attachment 8244

View attachment 8245

Ok I figured it out. If you have multiple homes associated with your MyQ app, it will connect to the last home you set up. I’m my case, I had a neighbor’s garage door programmed for emergencies. I didn’t realize this was the case until I went outside and saw the door open and close when I used the LiveKey app. Once I figured this out, I had to remove the access to the neighbor’s house to get my house to show up in the LiveKey app. After that, it all worked as advertised.

Thank you again @Svenice for the awesome instructions. Those instructions should be saved, because I know that question will be asked in the future.

View attachment 8241
View attachment 8242

View attachment 8243

View attachment 8244

View attachment 8245

This is awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to document this. Worked flawlessly.

Back