Infinity Shield Garage Door Sensor

Tim-in-CA

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring, Rivian R1S
Referral Code
OZLJ2XPG
I just placed an order for the Infinity Shield Garage door sensor. It offers a full height door sensor to detect obstructions and replaces the low mounted beam used on most openers. I need to park pretty close to my door to maximize space in front of my vehicles and using backup camera can be a pain as on the Air, the camera won't stay on the rear setting when the vehicle senses objects in front and surround view isn't accurate enough. I REALLY wish I had this years ago as I closed my garage door on the open hatch of my Land Rover while I was distracted on a conference call. GRRR. Right now, it's 20% off at Amazon for Black Friday week (confirmed with the seller). I'll update my experience once I receive and install the unit.

Attachments

• 71zg14tvLXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71zg14tvLXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 51sJl7RVSdL._AC_.jpg
    51sJl7RVSdL._AC_.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 95
Lucid said that they are aware of the issue with the camera not staying on and they plan to address it. I don't know what that means that we can expect. Another issue that I have with that is that I like regen on the high setting but it makes it impossible to feather the accelerator to move back slowly and smoothly for short distances in that situation. But I think I'm getting used to overshooting by a little bit and then backing up.

I look forward to your update.

Lucid said that they are aware of the issue with the camera not staying on and they plan to address it. I don't know what that means that we can expect. Another issue that I have with that is that I like regen on the high setting but it makes it impossible to feather the accelerator to move back slowly and smoothly for short distances in that situation. But I think I'm getting used to overshooting by a little bit and then backing up.

I look forward to your update.
Yea, using one pedal took practice to get the vehicle into the garage with tight spacing. I had it on creep initially, but my Rivian doesn't have creep mode at all so I acquiesced and disabled creep on the Air. I also put regen on high as it more closely matched the low/standard regen setting on the Rivian. I probably won't get around to installing until the weekend, unit is supposed to arrive on Wednesday.

Yea, using one pedal took practice to get the vehicle into the garage with tight spacing. I had it on creep initially, but my Rivian doesn't have creep mode at all so I acquiesced and disabled creep on the Air. I also put regen on high as it more closely matched the low/standard regen setting on the Rivian. I probably won't get around to installing until the weekend, unit is supposed to arrive on Wednesday.
With Tesla, even on high regen, pressing the accelerator gently will move the car slightly. With the Lucid, doing so is going to move it a tad too much rather than doing the equivalent of creep if I barely touch it. I haven't tried creep, and Lucid's approach of having creep and hold as separate options might mean that it's worth trying. I'm just used to not using creep, which is incompatible with hold on a Tesla.

With Tesla, even on high regen, pressing the accelerator gently will move the car slightly. With the Lucid, doing so is going to move it a tad too much rather than doing the equivalent of creep if I barely touch it. I haven't tried creep, and Lucid's approach of having creep and hold as separate options might mean that it's worth trying. I'm just used to not using creep, which is incompatible with hold on a Tesla.
In Swift, because everything is stiffer, I haven't had any issues feathering the throttle in my garage.

I just placed an order for the Infinity Shield Garage door sensor. It offers a full height door sensor to detect obstructions and replaces the low mounted beam used on most openers. I need to park pretty close to my door to maximize space in front of my vehicles and using backup camera can be a pain as on the Air, the camera won't stay on the rear setting when the vehicle senses objects in front and surround view isn't accurate enough. I REALLY wish I had this years ago as I closed my garage door on the open hatch of my Land Rover while I was distracted on a conference call. GRRR. Right now, it's 20% off at Amazon for Black Friday week (confirmed with the seller). I'll update my experience once I receive and install the unit.

What I do is either use the forward indicator to determine a standard for how far to go or find an object (or mark an object) to the side that essentially says "stop here".

What I do is either use the forward indicator to determine a standard for how far to go or find an object (or mark an object) to the side that essentially says "stop here".
I just did that. I had it in the rear only before. It was a bit of a job figuring out where to put a piece of tape on the floor that would line up with a given spot on the camera, and got it wrong the first two times. It turned out to be good because the third mark did it, and I now have three stripes leading up to it and I stop on the third.

I also tried different combinations of hold/roll/creep and found nothing better, but I realized that my issue is that I'm used to Tesla applying hold when the vehicle stops rolling while Lucid applies it more aggressively when the vehicle is still rolling slowly. It doesn't work as well while parking, but I'm fine with how it works while driving.

I use the front camera on mine. It tells me how far I am from the object in front of my car (shelves) and when I am at 20 inches, I have sufficient rear clearance and I stop. Easy peasy.

I use the front camera on mine. It tells me how far I am from the object in front of my car (shelves) and when I am at 20 inches, I have sufficient rear clearance and I stop. Easy peasy.
I'd rather be able to see when the rear is clear rather than having each household member remember the clearance in inches for every car. Fortunately the Lucid is the only one with the problem but hopefully Lucid will have the problem fixed soon enough.

I'd rather be able to see when the rear is clear rather than having each household member remember the clearance in inches for every car. Fortunately the Lucid is the only one with the problem but hopefully Lucid will have the problem fixed soon enough.
Not arguing, but - wouldn't you just always say keep it at the minimum? If the biggest car is at 15 inches, why not just park every car at 15 inches?

Not arguing, but - wouldn't you just always say keep it at the minimum? If the biggest car is at 15 inches, why not just park every car at 15 inches?
The other side has a storage closest, and the more room there is, the easier. With the other car that's typically there, it's easy enough to keep the rear camera on. With the Lucid, I ended up marking the floor in the front. That will work as long as I know it's for the Lucid only.

I don't have all that many cars so it's not an issue. I do have an out of town visitor parked in my garage so she can charge, so there's still the theoretical problem of any other location having the issue. The other theoretical issue is that one side is NACS ant the other is J1772 so if I can talk enough potential out of town guests into buying a Lucid, they'd hit the same problem.

Old school here. We have 2 cars we garage, each of which is always in the same bay. I find I use the Lucid front camera but with the other, after the garage door left a gouge in the rear bumper, I drove the car forward with good rear clearance; jammed a short piece of 2x4 against each front wheel and marked the leading edge on the floor. They are not glued down to avoid a tripping hazard and can easily be lined up again if moved. They provide the non-Lucid car a sure stop.

Old school here. We have 2 cars we garage, each of which is always in the same bay. I find I use the Lucid front camera but with the other, after the garage door left a gouge in the rear bumper, I drove the car forward with good rear clearance; jammed a short piece of 2x4 against each front wheel and marked the leading edge on the floor. They are not glued down to avoid a tripping hazard and can easily be lined up again if moved. They provide the non-Lucid car a sure stop.
I used to use something similar to this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Park-Smart-Yellow-Parking-Mat-Guide-10001/202198962#overlay

With the Lucid front camera, I found that tape on the floor works. With my Tesla, tape in the rear works since the rear camera can stay on. When I did use the parking mats, they did slip on occasion.

I installed the Infinity Shield as well, and really like it. It'll prevent closing the garage door on our SUV's rear gate.

I also installed it, and got a lovely call from them asking about some quality issues I’d reported - we talked for almost an hour and they were spectacular to talk to. (The quality issues had nothing to do with the unit, and were just installation issues due to the layout of my garage; I’m going to 3d print some new slimmer brackets and share them with them because I love the product)

Back