Backup Camera battle with Garage Door Opener

I honestly do not know why the from is not showing in your routine. My best guess would be to just delete that routine and start over.
I deleted the routine but the new routine does not work because the "From" is missing. Instead I made an Apple shortcut to close the garage and it worked. I can use my iwatch to command Siri to close the garage door. Here is the procedure to create the Apple Shortcut. Open LiveKey app. Tap Shortcuts/Siri at lower right of the open garage key. it will take you to https://livekey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4420815939213-Apple-Shortcut-Control. Follow the Apple Shortcut Control on your iphone. On Step 6: Items - Select the LiveKey Garage Key, Actions - Select Close. Step 7 Rename Shortcut to the verbal " Command to Close". Tap down arrow next to Command to rename it. The new shortcut will appear on the Apple Shortcut app. Ready to use.

Hi all. I had the same issue. The way I solved it was to add garage door control to Alexa. There’s an Alexa app called LiveKey which talks with various systems. In my case it communicates with MyQ/Chamberlain/LifeMaster.

After you set it up, you’ll be able to just tell Alexa to “close garage door”. You can also set it to “open garage door”.
How exactly do you set this up?

Further back in this thread is discussion of the app LiveKey. You connect that with Alexa. Its explained further back.
You can also connect IFTTT to MyQ and Alexa and use voice control to close the garage. You can pick whatever phrase you want. Only garage door closing is supported for security reasons.

I have two garage doors and both now work with Alexa. Going from memory a bit

First step was having both doors working in the MyQ app... as you normally would. Once that's done, go into LiveKey and hit the + button in the bottom right and select "Add/Edit Integrations". That will pull up a long list of available integrations, one of which is MyQ.
View attachment 8241
Doing so, will then ask you to log into MyQ. Enter your credentials. Once it does so, all of your devices, including ideally multiple garage doors will show up.
View attachment 8242

You can test that the connection is working by firing an open and close to any of your doors and make sure they activate. Mine worked instantly. But that's not getting you voice activation yet...

Click your first door on the menu... there will be several options that come up on the bottom... you want the Voice Actions bit. Click it.
View attachment 8243
There will then be the option to add it to Alexa and to Siri. Note, you currently will have the "close" option active by default, so only the Close action will be added. You will then need to click the "open" button and add those skills to Alexa (and Siri).

Now, go into your Alexa App on your phone... click "more" and select skills and games. There search for and activate the skill called "kloee for SC". After you do that, it will prompt you for your LiveKey credentials (it'll say SimpleCommands login but kloee is the cloud enablement of SimpleCommands, so your LiveKey login will work).

Back in your Alexa App, if you go to Devices, scroll right on the top row and you'll get to Scenes.

View attachment 8244

Click it, then click "Discover Scenes". It'll take a minute or two but Alexa will find the scenes you've added. If you've done it right so far, you'll have an open and close event for each door.

View attachment 8245

Last step... setting up a routine so that you can use language you'd actually use to trigger the events. Again in the Alexa App, click "More" (lower right corner), then Click "Routines".

Hit + to start a new routine. You'll want to create a routine to open and a separate routine to close each door.

Name it whatever you want (I used garage door 1 open, garage door 2 open, garage door 1 close, etc.)

Then click "When This happens...", then select Select Voice, then type the phrase you want to use... I used "Open the garage" for my main garage door. You can enter multiple phrases to do the same thing... just add as many as you like. I also used "open the garage door" in case I forget exactly what I used. When you have all your phrases, click Next in the upper right.

Then click "Add Action" (the third menu item) - Then "Smart Home" - Then "Scenes". Here is where the list of Scenes you just set up via LiveKey show up. Select the action appropriate one (close for the correct door, for example if you're doing the close command).

Lastly, click Add, and then Save (in the upper right).

Repeat for each open and close for each door and you're done. All in, took me maybe 20 minutes to do both doors. They key step that took me a bit was getting Alexa to discover new scenes.
I have successfully used Alexa, LiveKey, and myQ to automate closing my garage door for several months. About two weeks ago it stopped working. I’m curious if yours is still functional?

I have successfully used Alexa, LiveKey, and myQ to automate closing my garage door for several months. About two weeks ago it stopped working. I’m curious if yours is still functional?
Same thing happened to me using those same apps. Worked fine and then a couple of weeks ago it just stopped working. I’ll now tell Alexa to close the garage door, she’ll say, ‘OK’, but then nothing happens.

Same thing happened to me using those same apps. Worked fine and then a couple of weeks ago it just stopped working. I’ll now tell Alexa to close the garage door, she’ll say, ‘OK’, but then nothing happens.
LiftMaster/Chamberlin are notorious for finding ways to break MyQ integration with "non-approved" services. HomeBridge/MyQ also seems to break often. I don't know why they are so adamant to keep their interface so walled off. I'm sure that they are doing this under the guise of security. I found that my HomeBridge/MyQ integration was broken again when I came home yesterday in my rental EQE (my R1S is in for service and I figured I'd try out the EQE) and lo and behold, Siri couldn't access MyQ. Checking logs on HomeBridge shows that it's broken AGAIN. Pretty frustrating!

LiftMaster/Chamberlin are notorious for finding ways to break MyQ integration with "non-approved" services. HomeBridge/MyQ also seems to break often. I don't know why they are so adamant to keep their interface so walled off. I'm sure that they are doing this under the guise of security. I found that my HomeBridge/MyQ integration was broken again when I came home yesterday in my rental EQE (my R1S is in for service and I figured I'd try out the EQE) and lo and behold, Siri couldn't access MyQ. Checking logs on HomeBridge shows that it's broken AGAIN. Pretty frustrating!
Tim, I’m sure our litigious society doesn’t help in companies making these decisions.

How are you finding the EQE?

MyQ changed some APIs and got rid of their web interface. While they did that, they temporarily blocked some specific user agents. I got around it on Home Assistant h changing the user agent but then they fixed it anyway.

I’d recommend reaching out to LiveKey, as theirs is the integration that is failing.

Mine broke months ago. I gave up on it and just resorted to the native Homelink app.

I connect my garage door opener connected to Alexa, and this is a big improvement to using the Homelink button in the Lucid! 😃

Today I connected my Genie garage door opener to Alexa, and now when coming or going in or out of the garage all I need to do is ask Alexa to open or close the door, so I don’t need the Homelink button anymore!! This is great.😊

My problem is that I need to back out of my garage, cancel the backup camera, open the garage door screen, close the garage, turn on the backup camera, back out of my gate, turn off the backup camera, open the garage door screen, close my gate, turn on my backup camera so I can finish backing out of my driveway. It's like eight or more steps for me to just leave my house.
You put your left foot in, you take your left foot out.................................etc.

Today I connected my Genie garage door opener to Alexa, and now when coming or going in or out of the garage all I need to do is ask Alexa to open or close the door, so I don’t need the Homelink button anymore!! This is great.😊
Unfortunately Liftmaster MyQ has blocked all integrations. I could do the same before they cut it off. I don’t want to change or add new HW, hopefully Lucid will sort out the UI soon.

Am I missing something...

There has to be a better way. I could put the garage and gate openers in the car, but it defeats the purpose of having the system in the car at all. And I suppose to cut down on steps I could back the car all the way down the driveway. That way backup cameras are not on when I leave. Lot of trouble for something that should be simple.
No, you are missing something. I was asking myself, what is the purpose of having an opener built into the car if you have to fight with it.

So, for $10 I bought 2 garage door openers, including batteries, from Amazon. A few minutes to program the remote now I'm good to go. Nothing to get covered and no geofence parameters to worry about. I determine when the door opens and closes.

Agree @AZ-Don - same exact issue - garage + gate and backup cameras.

I'm waiting for the day that they a) show the homelink somewhere that isn't overlaid by the cameras, b) leave the homelink screen on longer when I arrive (it disappears after pressing gate but before I can press garage, so I have to dig back into the menu to bring it back up), and c) auto-open when I arrive at the house through geofencing unless I cancel it (like the tesla does).

Would save me about 12 clicks every round-trip from my house.
I think the easiest solution will be for SW upgrade which enables popping up of garage door buttons on the screen much like how it comes up when you approach the home. Given that many have given this feedback to Lucid (including me), we have to now just wait for the update.

I think the easiest solution will be for SW upgrade which enables popping up of garage door buttons on the screen much like how it comes up when you approach the home. Given that many have given this feedback to Lucid (including me), we have to now just wait for the update.
But until then many of us have gone old school remote. No biggie. I’ve hidden mine so I don’t look like a Neanderthal.

Validation: this is a completely different animal. First, there are multiple levels of validation. Let’s start with SW and HW. Each one has to be validated (i.e., testing the functionality against the specification) on its own. Thereafter, the SW and HW have to be tested together, under a range of circumstances (e.g., at different temperature, humidity, etc.) to make sure they work together as intended.

QA and Validation are two separate but related subjects.

Let me use some straight-forward (though not all encompassing) examples to illustrate.

QA: when I go pick up my Lucid on delivery day, if there are scratches on the paint, mis-aligned panels, trunk mats that are not properly secured (which happened in my case), those are QA issues. In other words, if Lucid inspected the car carefully before delivery, they would have picked up on these defects and corrected these issues before the customer arrives to take delivery. These are random defects, not systematic issues.

Validation: this is a completely different animal. First, there are multiple levels of validation. Let’s start with SW and HW. Each one has to be validated (i.e., testing the functionality against the specification) on its own. Thereafter, the SW and HW have to be tested together, under a range of circumstances (e.g., at different temperature, humidity, etc.) to make sure they work together as intended.

Let’s use the Homelink garage door opener as an example. So, there is a “module” (HW and SW) that performs the Homelink function (programming the garage door open code, multiple users, multiple garage doors, multiple brands of garage door openers, temperature extremes, etc.) . Let’s just say the engineers tested all of these and the Homelink Module performed faultlessly. Is the Homelink module therefore “Validated”? Yes, validated at the module level (i.e., if that’s the only standalone function), So, is it good-to-go. NO!. We still don’t know if it will it work in conjunction with all the other functions (modules) in the rest of the car under all circumstances.

As many of us (myself included) experienced, the Homelink module does not work properly when the Lucid is in reverse backing out of the garage (even though Homelink works perfectly on its own). The reason why this happens is (likely) Lucid might not have tested these two functions (Homelink and backing up) in conjunction (i.e., as a system). Now, we have a “bug”, an unanticipated interaction between two independent functions (Homelink and backup) that interacted in a manner we did not anticipate.

OK, so what! Now we know this unintended interaction, let’s fix this bug and move on. (Let’s say) We did an OTA , now it is fixed. But, is it? What happens if I try to close the garage door with Homelink while backing up at the same time, but it is raining and it is dark, so I have my headlights on and the wipers going., will the “bug-fix” for the Homelink-Backup still work? The answers is, I have no idea! The unintended interaction between independent functions is virtually impossible to anticipate and they generate scenarios that cannot be easily predicted.

Hence, we have to do SYSTEM VALIDATION…i.e., test the SYSTEM (the whole car, all its functions, at all kinds of systematic and random sequences, under different environmental conditions, temperature, rain, night/day, etc.). It this kind of testing sounds very arduous, you got it right, it is!

System manufactures (computers, airplanes, cars, space crafts, etc.) have learned that even though each individual module works faultlessly on their own, there is no guarantee they will work harmoniously TOGETHER. More likely than not, they won’t. That’s why we do SYSTEM VALIDATION. It is hard work arduous, and it is a grind to run all those regressions. And it is a never-ending task. Many a times, we are luck enough we could fix some of these unintended interactions with SW fixes (OTA). That’s great. SW fixes are easy to implement as opposed to hardware fixes. Many a times, people get confused and call them Quality issues, they are not! These are architecture/design/system bugs that were inadvertently baked into the system. We call them “bug”/”defects” because they manifest themselves “randomly”. In reality, they are not random, though they are hard to pin down. They only manifest themselves when the stars and the moon align.

I don’t want to come across as a pessimistic doomsayer. I just want us to be realistic. Building a world-class, reliable electro-mechanical-computerized system on wheels going at 70-80 mph is not for the faint of heart. A lot more work has to be done in validation to get the Lucid system to be robust.

Totally agree ... system has passed verification testing to ensure software meets spec. QA/QC are the folks that ensure testing was properly executed and documented.

As you mentioned, software Validation testing determines if the software meets it's intended use. The validation protocol (if they had one?) likely did not include focus groups or a significant number of test subjects early on OR maybe they always planned to gather significant "use data" from early adopters like us and revise software over time? I agree ... it's just too difficult to validate the whole car that has so many customization options, especially if it's primary intended use is to get driver from point A to point B.

Sure, it would be nice to to see a pareto of key issues, but this would probably be considered a nuisance and not likely a bug and thus prioritized accordingly. The interim solution at this time is put it in PARK (shutting off the camera) as needed to close the garage door. In my case, I find I can back all the way out onto the street, switch over to DRIVE (which shuts off the camera), then close the garage door (watching it close all the way) before driving off. No need to go into PARK halfway down my driveway.

In my opinion, the best place to put the garage door button is in the left panel somehow along with the commonly used buttons.

I read that Rivian pops up on the screen (geo-fencing) and pressing the button on the steering wheel activates the garage door.

Back