Backup Camera battle with Garage Door Opener

Anyone know if there is an Android version of this on Alexa -- I couldn't find LiveKey on my Samsung phone Alexa app

I have two garage doors and both now work with Alexa. Going from memory a bit

First step was having both doors working in the MyQ app... as you normally would. Once that's done, go into LiveKey and hit the + button in the bottom right and select "Add/Edit Integrations". That will pull up a long list of available integrations, one of which is MyQ.
View attachment 8241
Doing so, will then ask you to log into MyQ. Enter your credentials. Once it does so, all of your devices, including ideally multiple garage doors will show up.
View attachment 8242

You can test that the connection is working by firing an open and close to any of your doors and make sure they activate. Mine worked instantly. But that's not getting you voice activation yet...

Click your first door on the menu... there will be several options that come up on the bottom... you want the Voice Actions bit. Click it.
View attachment 8243
There will then be the option to add it to Alexa and to Siri. Note, you currently will have the "close" option active by default, so only the Close action will be added. You will then need to click the "open" button and add those skills to Alexa (and Siri).

Now, go into your Alexa App on your phone... click "more" and select skills and games. There search for and activate the skill called "kloee for SC". After you do that, it will prompt you for your LiveKey credentials (it'll say SimpleCommands login but kloee is the cloud enablement of SimpleCommands, so your LiveKey login will work).

Back in your Alexa App, if you go to Devices, scroll right on the top row and you'll get to Scenes.

View attachment 8244

Click it, then click "Discover Scenes". It'll take a minute or two but Alexa will find the scenes you've added. If you've done it right so far, you'll have an open and close event for each door.

View attachment 8245

Last step... setting up a routine so that you can use language you'd actually use to trigger the events. Again in the Alexa App, click "More" (lower right corner), then Click "Routines".

Hit + to start a new routine. You'll want to create a routine to open and a separate routine to close each door.

Name it whatever you want (I used garage door 1 open, garage door 2 open, garage door 1 close, etc.)

Then click "When This happens...", then select Select Voice, then type the phrase you want to use... I used "Open the garage" for my main garage door. You can enter multiple phrases to do the same thing... just add as many as you like. I also used "open the garage door" in case I forget exactly what I used. When you have all your phrases, click Next in the upper right.

Then click "Add Action" (the third menu item) - Then "Smart Home" - Then "Scenes". Here is where the list of Scenes you just set up via LiveKey show up. Select the action appropriate one (close for the correct door, for example if you're doing the close command).

Lastly, click Add, and then Save (in the upper right).

Repeat for each open and close for each door and you're done. All in, took me maybe 20 minutes to do both doors. They key step that took me a bit was getting Alexa to discover new scenes.
One caveat about creating a routine to OPEN the garage door. If you have this set up, theoretically anyone could just tell Alexa (yell from outside the house if you have an Alexa device inside) to open the garage door and get into your garage

One caveat about creating a routine to OPEN the garage door. If you have this set up, theoretically anyone could just tell Alexa (yell from outside the house if you have an Alexa device inside) to open the garage door and get into your garage
This is exactly why MyQ disallows it by default; it’s a security risk.

This is exactly why MyQ disallows it by default; it’s a security risk.
When I had a workaround to use Alexa to control garage doors, I set up a routine that when Alexa heard "Open Sesame" the garage door would be triggered. Less likely a potential thief would say that unless they were a fan of 1001 Arabian Nights! Open the Pod Bay Doors is another good one to use.

When I had a workaround to use Alexa to control garage doors, I set up a routine that when Alexa heard "Open Sesame" the garage door would be triggered. Less likely a potential thief would say that unless they were a fan of 1001 Arabian Nights! Open the Pod Bay Doors is another good one to use.
It’s all about the phrase

1002 Arabian Nights for the second garage door?

No android livekey app yet, but I set it up with the alexa app on my wife's iPhone and it works fine even though my Android phone is always in the car..

Am I missing something. When I back out of my garage the backup cameras take over the screen. Does everyone have to close the backup camera screen to get to their garage door screen to close their garage doors? It's even worse for me because my driveway has a gate, and the gate is just far enough that the range isn't always within reach of the garage door. But the distance is short enough that I do have to back out of the garage and the gate.

My problem is that I need to back out of my garage, cancel the backup camera, open the garage door screen, close the garage, turn on the backup camera, back out of my gate, turn off the backup camera, open the garage door screen, close my gate, turn on my backup camera so I can finish backing out of my driveway. It's like eight or more steps for me to just leave my house.

There has to be a better way. I could put the garage and gate openers in the car, but it defeats the purpose of having the system in the car at all. And I suppose to cut down on steps I could back the car all the way down the driveway. That way backup cameras are not on when I leave. Lot of trouble for something that should be simple.
I am experiecing the exact same problem. I just posted my experience before I saw your post.

I am experiecing the exact same problem. I just posted my experience before I saw your post.
Have you contacted customer care? The more people who do that the more they will address it.

Not yet....I've been blaming myself for having fat fingers and ounch the wrong button.

Now, I know better! :)

By now, many of us have seen the problem as you are backing out of the garage, the backup camera comes on and interferes with the Homelink functions. If you try to access the Homelink button to close the garage door while the backup camera is invoked (and the car is in “R”), instead of the Homelink garage door button, Homelink goes into “programming mode”, (i.e., trying to add another Homelink function).

I tried to circumvent this by putting the car in PARK after backing out of the garage (but still in range for Homelink to close the garage door), that seems to work on the limited few times I tried it.

This is by no means a fix, just a work- around for an annoying problem. I still carry my clicker with me.

I suspect this problem is fixable with an OTA….when and if Lucid gets around to it.

Base on the symptoms, my take is, the Lucid engineer validates his/her Homelink module design by itself (and it worked falwessly as a standalone module) but there was no system validation. What seems to be happening is an unintended interference between different modular functions (Homelink and backup in this case) that resulted in a corrupted function (Homelink).

By itself, this Homelink issue is mostly an “inconvenience”. But if it is symptomatic of a broader problem of inadequate System Validation at Lucid, that would be worrisome. If unintended interferences of functions results in cars being disabled or errors “at speed”, the consequences could be more serious.

I won’t repeat my views on this subject. You can read my prior post on “Bugs and System Validation”.

I have two garage doors and both now work with Alexa. Going from memory a bit

First step was having both doors working in the MyQ app... as you normally would. Once that's done, go into LiveKey and hit the + button in the bottom right and select "Add/Edit Integrations". That will pull up a long list of available integrations, one of which is MyQ.
View attachment 8241
Doing so, will then ask you to log into MyQ. Enter your credentials. Once it does so, all of your devices, including ideally multiple garage doors will show up.
View attachment 8242

You can test that the connection is working by firing an open and close to any of your doors and make sure they activate. Mine worked instantly. But that's not getting you voice activation yet...

Click your first door on the menu... there will be several options that come up on the bottom... you want the Voice Actions bit. Click it.
View attachment 8243
There will then be the option to add it to Alexa and to Siri. Note, you currently will have the "close" option active by default, so only the Close action will be added. You will then need to click the "open" button and add those skills to Alexa (and Siri).

Now, go into your Alexa App on your phone... click "more" and select skills and games. There search for and activate the skill called "kloee for SC". After you do that, it will prompt you for your LiveKey credentials (it'll say SimpleCommands login but kloee is the cloud enablement of SimpleCommands, so your LiveKey login will work).

Back in your Alexa App, if you go to Devices, scroll right on the top row and you'll get to Scenes.

View attachment 8244

Click it, then click "Discover Scenes". It'll take a minute or two but Alexa will find the scenes you've added. If you've done it right so far, you'll have an open and close event for each door.

View attachment 8245

Last step... setting up a routine so that you can use language you'd actually use to trigger the events. Again in the Alexa App, click "More" (lower right corner), then Click "Routines".

Hit + to start a new routine. You'll want to create a routine to open and a separate routine to close each door.

Name it whatever you want (I used garage door 1 open, garage door 2 open, garage door 1 close, etc.)

Then click "When This happens...", then select Select Voice, then type the phrase you want to use... I used "Open the garage" for my main garage door. You can enter multiple phrases to do the same thing... just add as many as you like. I also used "open the garage door" in case I forget exactly what I used. When you have all your phrases, click Next in the upper right.

Then click "Add Action" (the third menu item) - Then "Smart Home" - Then "Scenes". Here is where the list of Scenes you just set up via LiveKey show up. Select the action appropriate one (close for the correct door, for example if you're doing the close command).

Lastly, click Add, and then Save (in the upper right).

Repeat for each open and close for each door and you're done. All in, took me maybe 20 minutes to do both doors. They key step that took me a bit was getting Alexa to discover new scenes.
Thanks for posting these detailed instructions. I think I followed all the instructions but was not able to get Alexa in car to open or close the garage door. I can open and close the garage door from the LiveKey app on my iphone. I can control the garage door from the Alexa app on my iphone. The routines are listed in the Alexa app and work. Alexa on my phone also works with the voice commands. When I try the Alexa voice commands in the car - no response nothing happens. How does the Alexa app in the car get the garage door routines? My other Alexa routines that I set up work in the car.

I don't understand how Lucid hasn't released a software fix for this. I don't use Alexa so when I get my car, I'm reading that I'll have to back out of my garage, shift to park, and close the garage door while in park OR buy a 3rd garage door clicker for this car?

I encourage
By now, many of us have seen the problem as you are backing out of the garage, the backup camera comes on and interferes with the Homelink functions. If you try to access the Homelink button to close the garage door while the backup camera is invoked (and the car is in “R”), instead of the Homelink garage door button, Homelink goes into “programming mode”, (i.e., trying to add another Homelink function).

I tried to circumvent this by putting the car in PARK after backing out of the garage (but still in range for Homelink to close the garage door), that seems to work on the limited few times I tried it.

This is by no means a fix, just a work- around for an annoying problem. I still carry my clicker with me.

I suspect this problem is fixable with an OTA….when and if Lucid gets around to it.

Base on the symptoms, my take is, the Lucid engineer validates his/her Homelink module design by itself (and it worked falwessly as a standalone module) but there was no system validation. What seems to be happening is an unintended interference between different modular functions (Homelink and backup in this case) that resulted in a corrupted function (Homelink).

By itself, this Homelink issue is mostly an “inconvenience”. But if it is symptomatic of a broader problem of inadequate System Validation at Lucid, that would be worrisome. If unintended interferences of functions results in cars being disabled or errors “at speed”, the consequences could be more serious.

I won’t repeat my views on this subject. You can read my prior post on “Bugs and System Validation”.

I would encourage you to email customerCare to describe your issue. That’s the ONLY official way to request a change or log an issue. I’m sure that posting here will not get it done even if Lucid reads it.

I always encourage people to send them email. The more people who do that applies more pressure.

I agree it is absurd to carrying a clicker or to put my car in PARK to push the button. The other alternative is to put the car in Park and get out of the car to manually close the garage door.

One thing I kept pointing out in this forum is Lucid's lack of transparency in acknowledging and tracking reported bugs and the resolution or investigation of these bugs. In so doing, Lucid’s apparent “inaction” aggravates the users. I urged Lucid to post a bug list, prioritize the bug fixes, and communicate the priorities to the users (a Triage list).

For example, the bugs causing the car to Turtle/brick or at-speed drive train failures should get top priority whilst fixing the cup-holder or the horrific phone charging slot should simply be “no actions planned”. I think most owners would agree with the prioritization. I hope Lucid has an internal process for tracking all these issues and action plans to resolve (or not to resolve) these items. But Lucid should be forthcoming and communicate the issues and expectations to its customers.

Several forum users pushed back hard at my suggestions. They said my suggestions are unrealistic and Lucid knows what they are doing and don’t need inputs like mine. All I am asking is for Lucid to be transparent. Disappointment = Expectations-Not-Met. Lucid might decide to not fix certain bugs. We might not all agree with what they decide but at least we know what to expect. Failure to acknowledge and communicate bug fix is a bad approach.

I don't understand how Lucid hasn't released a software fix for this. I don't use Alexa so when I get my car, I'm reading that I'll have to back out of my garage, shift to park, and close the garage door while in park OR buy a 3rd garage door clicker for this car?
No, you do what I do and back out, hit x, homelink button then the garage door and then hit the P camera button and continue to back out. @BS8899 seems to have a different issue from his description.

I'm sure this is coming. My Model S had similar UI issue with garage door opener and took a bit for them to update the behavior. I was told by a source that Lucid is closely monitoring this forum and taking all user feedback and prioritizing fixes/improvements as necessary.

As someone said…
“Failure to acknowledge and communicate bug fix is a bad approach.”

It’s also not a good approach as a customer to not communicate the issue with customer care. I really hope all of us do that. I certainly do.

Back