Any Lucid owners who are previously Tesla owners? Curious about your thoughts on your experience and if you prefer Lucid

nasilemak

Specs on paper aside, I am curious about the actual day to day experience. From what I gathered, Lucid's software is clunky.

How are people's user experience with the app?

Do people generally prefer Tesla over Lucid? Anyone who has much better experience owning Lucid over Tesla?

Specs on paper aside, I am curious about the actual day to day experience. From what I gathered, Lucid's software is clunky.

Do people generally prefer Tesla over Lucid? Anyone who has much better experience owning Lucid over Tesla?
Software is no longer clunky :)

based on my test drive, the console is not responsive. would you be able to answer other questions?
I haven’t owned a Tesla. If you follow the SW 2.0 thread, you’ll find the new software that is coming very very soon (and a few lucky of us have gotten to play with) is many orders of magnitude better. I would recommend another test drive once that drops.

I owned two model s back to back over the course of almost 7 years. The software in the Lucid still has problems but it’s coming along. As others have said a big OTA update should be here in the next couple weeks. That’s not what I was looking for with Lucid. The car is elegant, luxurious in a way Tesla can only dream about and has the hardware that far surpasses Tesla in ride quality, handling ,range,charging speed and eventual driver assist. You pay for that as well as the exclusivity. You will also be a beta tester for the software over the next several months

FWIW I currently own a '19 MSLR Raven and AGT.

Current version of Tesla software beats Lucid significantly. Not even close. But with 2.0 around the corner, I think Tesla will see Lucid in its rear view mirror.

Now the good stuff. Build, creature comforts, ride quality, space, cabin quietness, etc are far superior than my MSLR.

FWIW I currently own a '19 MSLR Raven and AGT.

Current version of Tesla software beats Lucid significantly. Not even close. But with 2.0 around the corner, I think Tesla will see Lucid in its rear view mirror.

Now the good stuff. Build, creature comforts, ride quality, space, cabin quietness, etc are far superior than my MSLR.
Do you mean, Lucid will see Tesla in its rear view mirror? 😁

But to answer the OP's question, I would never trade my day to day in the Lucid for the Tesla. Older software might be clunky but it does everything you need. A lot of the Tesla features are just fluff and unnecessary.

We owned a 2015 Tesla Model S P90D and now have a Model S Plaid parked next to our Lucid Air Dream Edition in the garage.

As for software comparisons:

Our 2015 Tesla had very quirky software, with frequent drop-outs of various features, periodic screen freezes, and the eventual need to replace the MCU. Voice activation was never completely reliable, and music USB sticks seldom worked for more than a few minutes without seizing up. The software in the Plaid is considerably better, but still prone to the occasional burp.

Our Lucid software was very problematic at delivery of our early car (#154) but has improved with recent OTA updates. However, until (and unless) the coming 2.0 update addresses fundamental problems with the platform, the Lucid software remains many steps behind Tesla's in terms of reliability and response speed.

The current Lucid software disadvantage is somewhat offset by the presence of manual controls for A/C, audio volume, and air vents, and dedicated haptic buttons for wipers, lights, and defrosters that don't require you to dive into submenus. In short, the basic functions are much easier to access and operate in the Lucid despite Tesla's currently superior software.

As for everything else:

The Lucid is easily the superior car to the Model S, aside from inconsequential differences in straight-line acceleration at which the Plaid wins out (although its front end goes lighter in such conditions than the Air's).

The Lucid handles better, having both a more compliant and a more precise suspension. It is quieter and, with both cars at around 11,000 miles on the odometer, the Lucid remains free of the squeaks and groans the Tesla body has developed, with noticeably more torsional stiffness over pavement disruptions.

The Lucid is also considerably more spacious feeling in the front and amazingly more roomy in the rear. (With the driver seats of both cars set to my preferred driving position, there is 9.5 more inches of fore-aft legroom in the Air's rear seat. Both cars, though, jack the legs up a bit in the rear due to the battery modules under the floorboard.)

The Lucid has useful luxury/convenience features that the Tesla doesn't: power frunk lid, seat massagers, motorized rear sunshades, much more front seat adjustability (including wonderful thigh support extensions), and more interior storage. The only interior features in which the Tesla prevails is a better-sorted front center console, and more usable wireless phone charging. And -- now that I've followed the advice of other posters to set Tidal HiFi as my default streaming source -- the Surreal Sound system in the Lucid trounces the Plaid's sound system.

Finally, although it's a matter of personal taste, I just find the whole interior vibe of the Lucid to be an order of magnitude beyond the Tesla in airiness, material quality, fit & finish, and design sophistication.

From my experience with both manufacturers, the build quality in both is not great (but getting better) - Tie.
The ride, comfort, and luxury feel of the Lucid is miles ahead of any Tesla I've driven and owned - Advantage Lucid.
I realize that there is a version 2.0 of the software for the Lucid due out soon, but right now Tesla is miles ahead of Lucid (and will be for some time) - Advantage Tesla.
Performance - speed, handling are unbelievable in both, and unless you are "tracking" or "racing" these cars, no perceivable difference - Tie.
Charging and Range - Range on the Lucid is great and, driven approx. the same way, seems to be doing better than the last Tesla I owned (MY). - Advantage Lucid. Charging, for now, is easier with Tesla and their, well established, supercharger network. For now, advantage Tesla.

In full transparency, I haven't driven one of the newer Tesla Model S, so I can't compare apples to apples, but w/ regards to the Model Y, the cars are vastly different. The Tesla software functionality and forward-looking/innovative apps (e.g. Sentry mode, Pet mode, "fart mode", video game apps, etc.) are ahead of Lucid's current software, BUT the layout, mixed buttons/screen functionality and interior comfort of the Lucid makes it more pleasant to use and drive.

my 2 cents

I have a 2019 Long Range S and just took delivery of a Lucid GT last Friday.

Tesla software is currently superior to the LGT, though I continue to have Tesla software issues, freezes, dropouts, etc. As you can see in the 2.0 thread there is apparently an update coming that will vastly improve these software issues but I don't have it yet and can't speak to it.

Lucid build quality blows Tesla away, without question. Tesla has been amazing and created this category, but they lack on quality/luxury, which is why I purchased a LGT. No rattles, air gaps, squeaks, etc.

Both cars drive amazing, nothing to knock here for either. I will say with the LGT and their battery technology, range anxiety literally doesn't exist. It's like driving the Tesla in Ludicrous mode as your daily driver (Sprint in LGT's case) and not having the battery drain.

In full transparency, I haven't driven one of the newer Tesla Model S, so I can't compare apples to apples, but w/ regards to the Model Y, the cars are vastly different. The Tesla software functionality and forward-looking/innovative apps (e.g. Sentry mode, Pet mode, "fart mode", video game apps, etc.) are ahead of Lucid's current software, BUT the layout, mixed buttons/screen functionality and interior comfort of the Lucid makes it more pleasant to use and drive.

my 2 cents
Very true. If you need "fart mode", Tesla is the only game in town.

Very true. If you need "fart mode", Tesla is the only game in town.
The implementation of Fart mode, but with GPS navigation waypoint capability still lacking, was a turning point for me. I decided to buy cars from adult-run companies after that.

I second most of the posts here. For what it’s worth. My immediately previous car was a 2017 Model S 75d. I sold my Model S specifically because I was tired of how bumpy the car was and how cheap the interiors felt. I’d purchased the Model S brand-new in 2017 and initially loved it, but I quickly grew tired of the software bugs and it’s bumpiness. I kept it all these years because it was fast, still felt futuristic when compared to other cars, and was an EV. However, within my first week of driving it, I noticed a ton of software issues. While driving at night on the freeway with “AP” on, the car suddenly freaked out and all the alarms went off, indicating an imminent crash. There were no cars around me and I was in the middle lane of the highway. The screen would also often glitch - causing me to manually reset it while driving on the freeway (Lucid really needs a better way to reset its systems). This would happen even 2-3 years in. The satellite radio would often glitch. And then of course the typical quality issues w/trimming, etc.

I reserved a Lucid w/relatively low expectations from a software issue. The chances of a turtle of doom still freaks me out. And the whole “car moves the opposite direction when you’re in a certain position off of a slope” is inconvenient (I now always press down on the brake on a slope/curb). However, I don’t regret purchasing the Lucid (speak to me after a Turtle of Doom occurs…hopefully not). The interior are so much more luxurious. The car is so much quieter. And it drives a lot better than my 75d. Granted…it’s also 2x the cost of my 75d…, but I’m ok with that.

Here's something that may surprise some folks who have read my comments before: I actually like my Model 3. It's served me well for the past three years. It's had very few maintenance issues compared to any German car I've had in the past, certainly. And it's been much cheaper to run.

My limited experience with service was not great; about a year ago, the car started shaking a bit at high speeds (80 and above) which feels like an alignment issue to me. But every time I took it to service, they told me they were unable to reproduce the issue, because they are unable to drive my car over the speed limit. So I just gave up. I don't drive that fast every day, anyway, and my tires don't seem to be wearing unevenly.

But that's the thing: bad service isn't the end of the world when you don't need it much. Other than the shaking, the only thing I've had to do with this car is check the tire pressure regularly and replace the windshield washer fluid once a year.

As far as selling me on forever ditching ICE vehicles for EVs, the Model 3 has done that job spectacularly.

I have tons of issues with the UX design of the software, but I can't say it isn't solid. Reboots are very rarely needed. FSD is an utter joke, but I almost never user it, so I'm okay with that. Phantom braking is a real issue on highways, and that happens with just regular old Autopilot, not FSD. So that has rendered the car pretty lame for long road trips. I'm bascially stuck with a car from the 80s with no cruise control at that point.

But for day-to-day getting me from point A to point B, it's been one of my favorite cars to date. And the acceleration never gets old.

It has developed some rattles over the years, which seems way too soon at only 17k miles in. I have chips in the paint, panel gaps you can fit a cigar in, and plenty of interior parts that are worse for wear. So I don't know how well this car would do if I wanted to hang on to it for ten years. Other people can speak to that. But I've had worse in all those areas.

My biggest complaint about software has been that rather than getting better with OTA updates, it's actually gotten worse. The real issues I have (phantom braking, incorrectly assigning a profile when both my wife and I get into the car at the same time, and so on) are not being addressed at all. Meanwhile, they keep making the UX worse by hiding regularly needed functions, all in service of providing more room for cartoon displays.) And don't get me started on video games, streaming video, sound effects, and other nonsense. It just feels like Tesla has drifted pretty far from even trying to provide a good driving experience. It's all distractions. Fun and games. I'd love to see them hunker down and get to actually caring about the driver again.

Which is exactly what drove me into the arms of Lucid. I don't have my Air yet, but from what I've experienced via test driving and voraciously reading this forum for the past year, I can tell the Air is going to be everything I love about my Model 3, and then some. Just seeing them listening to customer complaints and actually addressing them is enough to convince me this is the better choice.

And I hate to say it, but the visual design at Lucid is miles ahead of Tesla already. Much more refined and suited to my taste.

So I don't hate Tesla, despite how I sound at times. I just think Lucid is poised to provide the better car at the end of the day.

My limited experience with service was not great; about a year ago, the car started shaking a bit at high speeds (80 and above) which feels like an alignment issue to me. But every time I took it to service, they told me they were unable to reproduce the issue, because they are unable to drive my car over the speed limit. So I just gave up.

Could also be a wheel balance issue.

Have you tried taking the car to a tire franchise to have the balance and alignment checked? I've been driving Teslas for seven years, and they have conventional suspension and wheel components that are aligned and balanced the same way as any other car. And these days all the tire stores have the Tesla alignment specs in their databases. I've almost always had my Tesla alignment and balancing done at a local Tire Choice store, which is much less bother than trying to get an appointment at a Tesla Service Center and getting the car there. One on occasion, our local Honda dealer even did the alignment.

I have had two Tesla Model S for about a 10 year span. A 2012 P85 and 2016 P100D. All I can say is this you love your Tesla until you have issues then you will hate your Tesla. I hated mine. Their support and customer care left a lot to be desired. They tried to charge me for things that the warranty should have covered, multiple sensor issues that they could not resolve, their extended warranty is not a true extended warranty, it is more like insurance because you have a co-pay,....

In my opinion, the Tesla Model S P85+ was the last car with good quality..... the quality of the rest seemed to have decreased over time after that model.

I came from a 2013 Model S P85, which I still own. I sound like a teenager when I have to drive the Tesla (usually to cart around my son's doublebass). I whine and moan and constantly complain. I call it my jalopy because the ride is worlds away from the Lucid, which I absolutely love, and I have never loved a car before. I don't care about the software bells and whistles, though in terms of what most people complain about - key recognition, bootup time & music flaking out - the Lucid is actually superior to my Tesla.

Back