An Owee That Hurts Me More Than My Lucid

Bus Driver

Verified Owner
Cars
Tesla MX, MS; Air GT
Guys and Gals, I “scraped my chin”. A litle under a month into taking ownership of the apple-of-my eye Air GT, I scraped the chin rolling down from a steep driveway into the street. It was only after I had done this that started seeing youtube videos about how not to scrape your chin when your car sits really low (angle your approach to the driveway gutter).

Short of paying for the installation of a new “chin guard” is there anything I could have done to fix this up? It’s a cosmetic blemish I know, but man, have I got a case of heartburn.

Attachments

• 1FF05BCD-0F9E-42C8-8FB3-427BB425DA82.jpeg
    1FF05BCD-0F9E-42C8-8FB3-427BB425DA82.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 446
  • 830B152F-1FDF-478D-9388-F13BF400D6B7.jpeg
    830B152F-1FDF-478D-9388-F13BF400D6B7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 434
Besides knowing it's there, I honestly wouldn't even bother. It will happen again with rocks on the road, sand, grit, another curb, driveway, etc.

Yeah, this is literally what happens in my driveway every day. I'd be replacing it constantly.

That said, a replacement is $60.98 for the part and about $60 for the labor. Ask me how I know? :p

Yeah, this is literally what happens in my driveway every day. I'd be replacing it constantly.

That said, a replacement is $60.98 for the part and about $60 for the labor. Ask me how I know? :p
That's actually not bad at all.

When I was at the Lucid studio, they quoted me $150 for the Lucid jacket.

I thought their service would be overpriced too (like Mercedes or BMW dealership quotes)

Um, for that price, do they do it as a Mobile repair? Asking for a friend…

That's actually not bad at all.

When I was at the Lucid studio, they quoted me $150 for the Lucid jacket.

I thought their service would be overpriced too (like Mercedes or BMW dealership quotes)
Their service has been really reasonably priced.

The jacket is a Lululemon jacket that we just bought literally yesterday, and my wife has literally not taken it off except for sleep, haha. She loves that thing.

Guys and Gals, I “scraped my chin”. A litle under a month into taking ownership of the apple-of-my eye Air GT, I scraped the chin rolling down from a steep driveway into the street. It was only after I had done this that started seeing youtube videos about how not to scrape your chin when your car sits really low (angle your approach to the driveway gutter).

Short of paying for the installation of a new “chin guard” is there anything I could have done to fix this up? It’s a cosmetic blemish I know, but man, have I got a case of heartburn.
I was wondering how likely this might be. I have a fairly steep driveway and hopeful the angled approach works.

I only learned about this technique AFTER I’d scraped the chin. So maddening.
I have very steep driveway as well and had Sliplo applied to underside. Seems to help protect it. Also go really slow and at an angle.

I have very steep driveway as well and had Sliplo applied to underside. Seems to help protect it. Also go really slow and at an angle.
I have never seen this product. Thanks for sharing.

Aren’t parking bumpers going to be a problem also? Coming from an SUV that clears parking bumpers, it was never an issue. But with this car, it seems the chin is right at or below parking bumpers.

Not a problem generally outside since I can just stop short. But in a tight parking garage, stopping short means leaving the back end hanging out and risking someone scraping the back.

I’d much rather take the hit scraping the unseen chin than something visible on the back bumper.

Aren’t parking bumpers going to be a problem also? Coming from an SUV that clears parking bumpers, it was never an issue. But with this car, it seems the chin is right at or below parking bumpers.

Not a problem generally outside since I can just stop short. But in a tight parking garage, stopping short means leaving the back end hanging out and risking someone scraping the back.

I’d much rather take the hit scraping the unseen chin than something visible on the back bumper.
For a standard bumper you will figure out exactly how far you can park in to not scrape. 360 camera is great for that!

My previous car had a really low chin so would often just back into spots to avoid the possibility of clipping the splitter, going at an angle on any inclines/declines, etc. The few times I have rolled the AGT up close to a parking bumper, I have not had any issues with clearance, though still don‘t take any chances if I can avoid it. Granted, everything in Florida is as flat as it comes, with the exception of driveway dips for storm run-off. May have different experiences on angled spots.

Thank you! Ordering right away.

For a standard bumper you will figure out exactly how far you can park in to not scrape. 360 camera is great for that!
@hydbob I know you are a huge fan of the 360 camera. On my AGT I have a ”dead zone” of a couple of feet in front and in back of the car on the 360 display. Is yours that accurate that you can see all the way to your bumpers? Curious if I have an issue.

@hydbob I know you are a huge fan of the 360 camera. On my AGT I have a ”dead zone” of a couple of feet in front and in back of the car on the 360 display. Is yours that accurate that you can see all the way to your bumpers? Curious if I have an issue.
I also have a dead zone but when I first got the car I pulled up to a parking stop as close as I could get, with a spotter, and the compared my position on the camera to where I was in relation to the parking stop to see where it ends up.

Back