Hills and Bumps!!!

This is the exit ramp to the garage I park in at work. It doesn't look that bad, but if I exit at 7mph max over this or have anyone in the back seat, it scrapes hard. There's no room to angle the car. It didn't seem to damage it, but I didn't like the sound.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the intent: to force drivers to drive slowly out of the garage.

Around where I live there are two basic housing setbacks: one has the house at 20 feet back and the other at 30 feet. The houses with the shorter set back have a tall bump as you enter the driveway from the street whereas the ones with the larger set back have a more gentle start of the driveway.

Performance coupes and sedan (like the Lucid Air) are going to have a low street height and drivers need to be aware of that when they acquire such a vehicle. It sounds counterintuitive but the quicker and faster vehicles need to be driven more slowly and often at an angle over bumps and curbs. Phoenix has started putting speed humps in residential streets and I am still trying to find the sweet spot for crossing them.

I too have the problem of the bottom scraping, but more on the back. There are some air dam or fences on the back rear bottom cover that seem to be what scrapes. I attached a picture of the area. Has anyone noticed the same problem? Can those areas be trimmed down?
Thanks

Attachments

• Rear bottom.jpg
    Rear bottom.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
I scraped the bottom of the Lucid twice, and then I bought a set of rubber ramps from Vevor. I bought a 2-piece, then added a center piece to cover my entire driveway. Bridjit also makes what look like identical rubber ramps for about 50% more, because they are made in the U.S. The pieces are HEAVY! They provide nuts and bolts so you can string them together. I left the upper bolts a little loose so I could match the curvature on my driveway, then placed a couple drops of Locktight Blue on the threads. Haven't hit bottom since.

Vevor makes two types, one with yellow stripes. I got the ones that are black (dark gray) with curved ends for a more finished look. https://www.vevor.com/curb-ramp-c_1...-3-piece-expandable-for-garage-p_010907937303 They are currently sold out on their website but you might check Amazon. Other vendors, too. Installed 10 months ago and they haven't budged. There's a channel underneath so water can pass through. Not cheap but cheaper than replacing Lucid parts.
I often go walking in my neighborhood. Many of the streets have sharp rises into the driveway and some have used ramps like you describe. I am sure these help but obviously won't help on streets, intersections, etc. You just have to be very careful and take bumps, rises, etc. at an angle. Unfortunately, goes with the territory of a performance car.

Back