A few questions coming from Tesla

Drakester

Cars
Touring
OK, so I know I am losing a lot coming from a Tesla when it comes to software but here are some questions I wasn't able to find on search.
I am trying to think of the things I do the most...

1. If I pull into a space in hold mode and don't put the car in park will it auto-put itself in park when I open the driver's door? (I never put my Tesla in park, I just get out)

2. Can you start the car from the app? There have been a few times when I needed someone to move my car so I just started it instead of giving them my key or if I was out of town.

3. Is the navigation based on Google Maps and does it show live traffic?

4. Can you set home and work and based on what time it is it auto places it in navigation?

5. Can I share an address from my phone to the LUCID during the drive or before I get to the car?

6. If you start a call outside of the car does it auto-transfer to the car or does the car prompt you to transfer the call?

Things I will miss :(

1. FSD
2. Summon
3. Valet Mode
4. Vent windows from app
5. Media (Netflix, Disney+, etc...)
i am sure there are more I will find once I get my car in a couple of weeks

OK, so I know I am losing a lot coming from a Tesla when it comes to software but here are some questions I wasn't able to find on search.
I am trying to think of the things I do the most...

1. If I pull into a space in hold mode and don't put the car in park will it auto-put itself in park when I open the driver's door? (I never put my Tesla in park, I just get out)

Yes
2. Can you start the car from the app? There have been a few times when I needed someone to move my car so I just started it instead of giving them my key or if I was out of town.

Yes, but you just unlock the car and will need to give PIN to drive
3. Is the navigation based on Google Maps and does it show live traffic?

NAV is done through HERE maps and yes it shows traffic
4. Can you set home and work and based on what time it is it auto places it in navigation?

no, this is not built into current functionality
5. Can I share an address from my phone to the LUCID during the drive or before I get to the car?

yes to both
6. If you start a call outside of the car does it auto-transfer to the car or does the car prompt you to transfer the call?

It will auto transfer
Things I will miss :(

1. FSD
2. Summon
3. Valet Mode
4. Vent windows from app
5. Media (Netflix, Disney+, etc...)
i am sure there are more I will find once I get my car in a couple of weeks

1. It should go into park once you open the door, but I’d push the park button just in case.

2. You can precool, but you can’t start driving without being in or near the car with a fob, card, or mobile key. You can also unlock and give them a PIN.

3. Based on HERE maps and does show live traffic. You also have CarPlay if you’d like to use Apple Maps / Google Maps and have an iPhone.

4. Yes, you can set home and work. It does not automatically put it into the nav based on time but it is on the Home Screen and is a single tap.

5. Yes.

6. Transfers automatically.

I miss my FSD from Tesla as well ( since I paid for it since 2015 and sold my last Tesla in 2021 and never got full autonomy) you’ll get nearly the same experience from the lucid on the highway where most people use it

I had Tesla's FSD (regular and beta) and barely miss it. Lucid's lanekeeping isn't as sharp as Tesla's, and it does not yet change lanes for you. But it's fine for now with room to grow. Lucid's better ride quality and massaging seats make miles disappear.

I had Tesla's FSD (regular and beta) and barely miss it. Lucid's lanekeeping isn't as sharp as Tesla's, and it does not yet change lanes for you. But it's fine for now with room to grow. Lucid's better ride quality and massaging seats make miles disappear.
I can see that. I am on FSD beta but rarely use it any more. If the Lucid does a good job staying in its lane and keeping speed and space between the car in front I think I will be happy.

I can see that. I am on FSD beta but rarely use it any more. If the Lucid does a good job staying in its lane and keeping speed and space between the car in front I think I will be happy.
In general Lucid is smoother than Tesla, with no phantom braking.

Most likely, Lucid will have L3 auto drive before Tesla FSD. Mercedes just got approved in CA in addition to NV with the LIDAR array being a big piece. HA for fast highways and self-driving for slower traffic jam highways would be a dream for SoCal at least.

Last edited:
Most likely, Lucid will have L3 auto drive before Tesla FSD. Mercedes just got approved in CA in addition to NV with the LIDAR array being a big piece. HA for fast highways and self-driving for slower traffic jam highways would be a dream for SoCal at least.

I can't lie. FSD beta is pretty legit.

I can't lie. FSD beta is pretty legit.
Funny thing, I have no use case for any sort of self driving. I like driving the car myself! I tried highway assist once or twice, it was cool, but I haven’t used it since. I would be fine if the car didn’t even have it. I guess some are owners for the driving experience and other are owners for the software experience.

Funny thing, I have no use case for any sort of self driving. I like driving the car myself! I tried highway assist once or twice, it was cool, but I haven’t used it since. I would be fine if the car didn’t even have it. I guess some are owners for the driving experience and other are owners for the software experience.
Different audiences for sure, and that is probably why some people like the S more than the lucid.
Also, doesnt HW assist sometimes help with range as the speed is more constant? I cant really imagine liking driving on a highway…

Different audiences for sure, and that is probably why some people like the S more than the lucid.
Also, doesnt HW assist sometimes help with range as the speed is more constant? I cant really imagine liking driving on a highway…
I use ACC sometimes. I like to steer the car myself.

To be clear. I don't use it often. Pushing the Tesla is really fun but sometimes when I'm in chill mode it's nice to kick back and be driven around. Even on city streets... But obviously it wasn't enough to keep me with Tesla. I gave them 10 years.

I love driving my car most of the time but had visions of enjoying self-driving on the highway for longer road trips.

In it's current form I prefer ACC because between requiring at least one finger on the wheel, no auto passing, and finicky when passing on and off ramps and it getting confused, it's honestly easier to just do the minor steering needed.

I just did a trip to Canada this weekend and used HA some. I actually feel like I got better milage when not using it. I'm not sure if it's the computing power and requirements of HA that may use a little more battery.

HA works great for the stretch between LA and Vegas, used it for there and back no issues. I think people forget to just hold the wheel when they drive...not doing that is dangerous.

Last edited:

I couldn’t agree more; I just don’t see myself using highway assist much. It just feels weird to me, but to each their own. Love the software, love the driving experience much much more.

HA works great for the stretch between LA and Vegas, used it for there and back no issues. I think people forget to just hold the wheel when they drive...don't do that it's dangerous.
I assume you mean that NOT holding the wheel is dangerous?
Also I dont really get why lucid has to be like tesla with the “apply a light force,” I wish they could use the camera that is already there and is used for the “coffee“ alert. It would be much easier and have the same effect.

I couldn’t agree more; I just don’t see myself using highway assist much. It just feels weird to me, but to each their own. Love the software, love the driving experience much much more.
A few months ago, DD Pro was a $10K addon to Touring or GT that included everything - HA, the camera suite and sensors. Now you can get DD Premium for $2K that gives you everything but the HA and future self-driving ability. I rarely use the HA either. I might have gone with the Premium option.

OK, so I know I am losing a lot coming from a Tesla when it comes to software . . . .

You're also gaining a lot moving over to Lucid on the software front. (BTW, we are on our second Tesla -- a 2021 Model S Plaid).

Here's what Lucid software offers that Tesla does not:

- accurate simulated birds-eye-view that can be rotated for precise positioning of the car
- exact distance measurements in inches to nearest obstacle
- better-placed blind spot camera displays
- front and rear cross-traffic camera displays
- satellite maps that can be displayed simultaneously and independently on the upper and lower screens, allowing such things as zoomed-out compass direction display at the same time as a zoomed-in direction-of-travel display (which is very helpful in unknown territory as you transition from tracking major routes to close-in shots of driveways and parking lots)
- Dolby Atmos sound
- Apple CarPlay (with Android on the way)
- ability to operate lights, wipers, doors, and trunk/frunk without going into submenus

On top of that, Lucid has additional and very convenient manual controls for gear shifts, audio volume, A/C temp and fan controls, and air vents that can be adjusted directly and more easily.

I very seldom use ADAS in any of our cars, but I park every one of them every time I get into them -- and the Lucid is by far the easiest car to get in and out of a parking space I've ever owned.

Back