A few questions coming from Tesla

A few months ago, DD Pro was a $10K addon to Touring or GT that included everything - HA, the camera suite and sensors. Now you can get DD Premium for $2K that gives you everything but the HA and future self-driving ability. I rarely use the HA either. I might have gone with the Premium option.

I didn’t know the options had been modified.
Perhaps I will eventually learn to enjoy HA more. Glad some people really like it; choices are good.

I assume you mean that NOT holding the wheel is dangerous?
Also I dont really get why lucid has to be like tesla with the “apply a light force,” I wish they could use the camera that is already there and is used for the “coffee“ alert. It would be much easier and have the same effect.
By definition, HA is a level 2 autonomy, meaning it requires hands on the wheel at all times. The future Highway Pilot will hopefully be a level 3, which would allow for hands off, but still requires constant attention to be able to intervene immediately at all times.

By definition, HA is a level 2 autonomy, meaning it requires hands on the wheel at all times. The future Highway Pilot will hopefully be a level 3, which would allow for hands off, but still requires constant attention to be able to intervene immediately at all times.
I know that sooner or later, level 3 is coming, and supposedly will be safe. But it still bothers me. I think any system that doesn't require the driver to do something is asking for trouble. How do you require constant attention? If a driver doesn't have to even touch anything for the car to drive, how many people will be looking at their phones instead of the road?

I know that sooner or later, level 3 is coming, and supposedly will be safe. But it still bothers me. I think any system that doesn't require the driver to do something is asking for trouble. How do you require constant attention? If a driver doesn't have to even touch anything for the car to drive, how many people will be looking at their phones instead of the road?
I agree. I don't know that I'll eve truly trust a car to drive for me.

As for the attention aspect, that's what the driver monitoring cameras are for. If you're not paying attention, it'll disengage and force you to take over. Or if you're really not paying attention (is asleep), it'll pull off the road and park. Or so the hope is...

Well, it doesnt state "hands on the wheel," it states that the driver must be paying attention. Brands can choose how to implement that, and some already use hands free with level 2, such as supercruise.

For the last five months I have had to do a 200-mile incredibly boring round trip at least 2-4 times per week (thankfully mostly during non-traffic hours), and the ACC and HA have been a godsend. I don't trust any automated driving programs 100%, but having the car take over the micro-movements to stay in the lane means I can just enjoy the music, the ride, and some of the scenery, and I have NEVER experienced phantom braking. My one issue I've found is that the ACC is so seamless, I will often notice cars starting to pass me and look down to see the cars in front of me have slowed appreciably without me noticing. Of course, that means I can get in the passing lane and let the car get back on track.

You're also gaining a lot moving over to Lucid on the software front. (BTW, we are on our second Tesla -- a 2021 Model S Plaid).

Here's what Lucid software offers that Tesla does not:

- accurate simulated birds-eye-view that can be rotated for precise positioning of the car
- exact distance measurements in inches to nearest obstacle
- better-placed blind spot camera displays
- front and rear cross-traffic camera displays
- satellite maps that can be displayed simultaneously and independently on the upper and lower screens, allowing such things as zoomed-out compass direction display at the same time as a zoomed-in direction-of-travel display (which is very helpful in unknown territory as you transition from tracking major routes to close-in shots of driveways and parking lots)
- Dolby Atmos sound
- Apple CarPlay (with Android on the way)
- ability to operate lights, wipers, doors, and trunk/frunk without going into submenus

On top of that, Lucid has additional and very convenient manual controls for gear shifts, audio volume, A/C temp and fan controls, and air vents that can be adjusted directly and more easily.

I very seldom use ADAS in any of our cars, but I park every one of them every time I get into them -- and the Lucid is by far the easiest car to get in and out of a parking space I've ever owned.
Thanks for those!

- Looking forward to the birds eye view.
- Both of my Tesla's have the exact distance measurements in inches... are you saying Lucid is more accurate?
- that is cool about the maps but I hear a standard complaint that you can't have maps and music. is this still true?
- can't wait for ATMOS
- I am an Android guy so i'll be waiting...

- that is cool about the maps but I hear a standard complaint that you can't have maps and music. is this still true?

They can be active simultaneously but only one can be on the screens at a time. This is a much requested enhancement so hopefully it will happen at some point. I think perhaps nav turn directions will display to the right of the speedometer while music is active on the far right.

A few months ago, DD Pro was a $10K addon to Touring or GT that included everything - HA, the camera suite and sensors. Now you can get DD Premium for $2K that gives you everything but the HA and future self-driving ability. I rarely use the HA either. I might have gone with the Premium option.
I would have also. The camera and regular sensors are all I needed. If we ever got to level 5, that would be fine but I don't want my vehicle to keep me from concentrating on the road and from enjoying the driving experience.

They can be active simultaneously but only one can be on the screens at a time. This is a much requested enhancement so hopefully it will happen at some point. I think perhaps nav turn directions will display to the right of the speedometer while music is active on the far right.
But only on the Lucid nav, not CarPlay. I think that huge Air logo is the biggest and most ridiculous waste of space. In second place comes the left side of the center screen where it just tells me distance since last charge or reset and the drive mode selected. Another waste of a huge amount of space. Why I have such a large screen if a good portion of it will go un-used? At least give me inflation pressures, efficiency statistics, media info, time and date… Anything!

But only on the Lucid nav, not CarPlay. I think that huge Air logo is the biggest and most ridiculous waste of space. In second place comes the left side of the center screen where it just tells me distance since last charge or reset and the drive mode selected. Another waste of a huge amount of space. Why I have such a large screen if a good portion of it will go un-used? At least give me inflation pressures, efficiency statistics, media info, time and date… Anything!

I don't use CarPlay, but I, too, would certainly like to see some additional display options. It would be nice if Lucid would create an inset to the left of the speedometer that lets the driver choose 4 or 5 things to display constantly. As you say, there's plenty of room to make them legible . . . even to us oldsters who don't wear our reading glasses while driving.

Reactions: DBV
Speaking of unused screen real estate, here's the driver's binnacle of our Model S Plaid (the bluish areas are just reflections where the screen is actually black):

IMG_1782.jpg

Yeah - that is really annoying on the refresh Model S/X. I don’t understand why Tesla does not put album art/media controls on the left hand side of the driver infotainment area. I guess they were in that area in the previous S/X. Also not sure why the lane change video does not go to that area either. Those two adds would really make that area so much more useful.

All that goes in that area now is if you are using NAV or Tesla FSD Vision beta, which I really do like, but still those others things above should be available. Two years since refresh has come out and nothing has been added in that space, except FSD Vision beta (If you count that). 🙂

Speaking of unused screen real estate, here's the driver's binnacle of our Model S Plaid (the bluish areas are just reflections where the screen is actually black):

Yeah - that is really annoying on the refresh Model S/X. I don’t understand why Tesla does not put album art/media controls on the left hand side of the driver infotainment area. I guess they were in that area in the previous S/X. Also not sure why the lane change video does not go to that area either. Those two adds would really make that area so much more useful.

All that goes in that area now is if you are using NAV or Tesla FSD Vision beta, which I really do like, but still those others things above should be available. Two years since refresh has come out and nothing has been added in that space, except FSD Vision beta (If you count that). 🙂
Crappy display, lack of buttons/switches, lack of HUD. Aside from build issues, etc. this is enough to disqualify an S or X for me (and before someone says 3 or Y...they are even worse in this regard).

Crappy display, lack of buttons/switches, lack of HUD. Aside from build issues, etc. this is enough to disqualify an S or X for me (and before someone says 3 or Y...they are even worse in this regard).
I think the display is of high quality and with the Yoke the infotainment system is just like having HUD since it is easy to see. As you know, I am a BMW guy and have had HUD forever and do not miss it with my Model S. When I get in my wife’s X5d that has HUD, I actually prefer the way Model S displays better now. So, I must have adapted. 🙂

I think the display is of high quality and with the Yoke the infotainment system is just like having HUD since it is easy to see. As you know, I am a BMW guy and have had HUD forever and do not miss it with my Model S. When I get in my wife’s X5d that has HUD, I actually prefer the way Model S displays better now. So, I must have adapted. 🙂
I was referring to the location and use of real estate on the display for the S and the absence of a display for the Y and 3. One of my Tesla problems is that the company has the attitude of "we know better than you do" regarding its customers. You don't like a yoke: tough! (until sales tanked even more); You want to see the speed you are driving in front of you: tough (3 and Y); You want a HUD: take a yoke instead. Etc. When HUDs first came out, they were an extra cost option for many cars; but Tesla won't even offer it as a extra cost option. I want a car company that responds to my desires, not one that demands that I accede to its desires.

Yes...all companies do to some extent have a take it or leave it attitude. But most offer a few more choices.

But...as I have said...it is good that there are so many car companies. It is unlikely that any will perfectly match one's desires but with so many choices, it should be possible to come close.

I so agree with Drakester above. Had Tesla S then Tesla Y. Just sold Y for Touring, have had three weeks. Dream drive is horrible and dangerous on the highway. it wanders and leaves a lane for no reason. When do we think there will be a substantial upgrade. Haven't received one since I got the car. No dash cam feature with all those cameras? Come on Lucid. Drives better than the Tesla at least.

I so agree with Drakester above. Had Tesla S then Tesla Y. Just sold Y for Touring, have had three weeks. Dream drive is horrible and dangerous on the highway. it wanders and leaves a lane for no reason. When do we think there will be a substantial upgrade. Haven't received one since I got the car. No dash cam feature with all those cameras? Come on Lucid. Drives better than the Tesla at least.
1. I just got back from a 200 mile trip where I exclusively used highway assist. It doesn’t drift at all. Perhaps you are using ACC but thought you were using Highway Assist? ACC controls speed only but leaves the steering to you. If you actually were using Highway Assistant and experienced those problems, please contact service. That is not normal.
2. What version are you on that you haven’t seen any upgrades? You can check that on the pilot panel.
3. I also would like to have a dash cam and other advanced uses of the cameras. That said, such a feature was never promised on the car, as I’m sure you are aware from your research prior to purchasing. If that’s very important to you, you can buy a third-party dash cam.

I don’t use HA very much because I prefer to drive or use adaptive cruise control. That being said, when I have used it , it has never behaved as you are describing. It has always done an excellent job of keeping me in lane. Perhaps reach out to service.

As others have said, HA will absolutely not leave the lane. You’re using ACC, or your HA is completely broken.

When did you receive your car? What constitutes a “substantial” update in your eyes? Because we’ve gotten a ton. Check out lucidupdates.com if you like release notes. If you are not up to date, contact customer service and ask them to push the next version to you.

Back