2024 Grand Touring changes and release

I think it might depend on the model but apparently the ioniq 6 RWD can do 340 miles at 70mph. That gets you ~270 miles in 20 minutes.

In 20 minutes you can get maybe 50% on a GT which would get you approximately 200 miles. A pure or Touring would only get 150 miles in 20 minutes
This was Friday, and I was charging to 90% because I was on the road trip. So, 62% of my battery in 41 minutes. The final 10% of the charge took about 15 of those minutes. No preconditioning. The charger was a split 350 so I was getting 175 max.

Lucid software does tend to protect the battery from degradation so their charging curve is less aggressive than the one on the Hyundai/Kia.
1706635513527.jpeg
1706635569930.png

Lucid software does tend to protect the battery from degradation so their charging curve is less aggressive than the one on the Hyundai/Kia.

But it's not just Hyundai/Kia. I think Lucid has the most conservative charge curve compared to just about every EV. I agree that Lucid peaks >200kw in the beginning which is great but the taper is more aggressive that Hyundai/Kia/Tesla/Mercedes/Porsche. In fact I think the Taycan's reduced battery protecting charge mode is STILL faster than Lucids.

I wouldn't have an issue if it was slightly slower, but it has the biggest battery of all AND throughout the middle of the curve, it can be up to twice as slow as the others. Tesla has shown that they have cars with 300k miles that have been supercharged throughout life as Taxis without significant degradation.

So I don't really buy that they do it to "protect the battery". I think there are other factors, arrangement of batteries, cooling systems can't keep up, or who knows. Anyway, this is all out of love...i'd love to see the 2024 GT get some of that DE/GT-P secret sauce haha

Reactions: DBV
But it's not just Hyundai/Kia. I think Lucid has the most conservative charge curve compared to just about every EV. I agree that Lucid peaks >200kw in the beginning which is great but the taper is more aggressive that Hyundai/Kia/Tesla/Mercedes/Porsche. In fact I think the Taycan's reduced battery protecting charge mode is STILL faster than Lucids.

I wouldn't have an issue if it was slightly slower, but it has the biggest battery of all AND throughout the middle of the curve, it can be up to twice as slow as the others. Tesla has shown that they have cars with 300k miles that have been supercharged throughout life as Taxis without significant degradation.

So I don't really buy that they do it to "protect the battery". I think there are other factors, arrangement of batteries, cooling systems can't keep up, or who knows. Anyway, this is all out of love...i'd love to see the 2024 GT get some of that DE/GT-P secret sauce haha
I agree with many of the others here that this is all academic. In the real world, where I've road tripped very often, even with my "slower" Touring I've never had an issue with my charging speed. The charger itself is far more likely to slow me down than the car is at this point, given the state of many chargers.

It is true though that Lucid is being conservative on their curve. They have their reasons, I'm sure. But the good news is they can tweak these curves over time, so the charging could get faster in the future. Perhaps they are worried about that 8-year battery warranty for the time being? Perhaps it's something else. If I were on the hook for every car, I'd want to play is safer for a while, at least. When they study battery degredation with a few more years of cars on the road under their belt, they may decide to get a bit more aggressive.

Out of curiosity, when's the last time you saw over 300kW with a GT? Or was that recently?
My last loaner, late last year. Charge it at valley fair, and got at or above 300kW, but don’t remember exactly. I don’t really pay attention because I don’t care, lol - it charges plenty fast, and a 20 minute stop is plenty for a few hundred miles of charge to get me to either where I want to go or the next stop.

If I want to charge up to 80 or 100, I can do that, and go much further. But I don’t *have* to, and I can go just as far as any other EV by charging my battery to a lower percentage than theirs. That’s a huge advantage. The additional range is *optional* depending on if I have or want to spend the time at the stop. If I don’t, I can just get going.

The rate at which it charges, while fun to argue about, is irrelevant to the general experience of owning the car as it is very fast and gets plenty of miles quickly.

That said, I have seen the GT and my DE-P (and the DE-R loaner I had from Millbrae, actually) all charge at similar speeds. But I haven’t done a back to back “clinical” test, so it’s still anecdata.

My last loaner, late last year. Charge it at valley fair, and got at or above 300kW, but don’t remember exactly. I don’t really pay attention because I don’t care, lol - it charges plenty fast, and a 20 minute stop is plenty for a few hundred miles of charge to get me to either where I want to go or the next stop.

If I want to charge up to 80 or 100, I can do that, and go much further. But I don’t *have* to, and I can go just as far as any other EV by charging my battery to a lower percentage than theirs. That’s a huge advantage. The additional range is *optional* depending on if I have or want to spend the time at the stop. If I don’t, I can just get going.

The rate at which it charges, while fun to argue about, is irrelevant to the general experience of owning the car as it is very fast and gets plenty of miles quickly.

That said, I have seen the GT and my DE-P (and the DE-R loaner I had from Millbrae, actually) all charge at similar speeds. But I haven’t done a back to back “clinical” test, so it’s still anecdata.
Thanks for sharing! I realize most people here aren't that interested in the nerdy charging data, but I find it fascinating, especially how the different pack sizes and cell types compare at their limits. I've gone through several dozen DCFC sessions, and all the major issues I've seen have been due the the charger and not the car, save one isolated incident. I certainly appreciate the range my car is capable of, and that I'm able to recharge it quickly enough.

All this talk about charging is a big who cares. Again, it's just a dick measuring contest, because in the real world, charge to 100% before you leave, make one 10-minute stop and in the DE-P, you can travel 500 miles in a day. Make another 10 minute stop and you are at 650-700 miles in a day. It's a nothing burger, especially when compared to other EVS which don't give you the same comfort or driving ability as the Air. Who cares about an Ioniq 6 getting the same range? It's cramped, not as comfortable and not as fun to drive. A Taycan? Good luck fitting more than 2 people into that car, let alone 4 adults plus luggage. A Tesla? Can you hear yourself talk about driving 300 miles?

Thanks for sharing! I realize most people here aren't that interested in the nerdy charging data, but I find it fascinating, especially how the different pack sizes and cell types compare at their limits. I've gone through several dozen DCFC sessions, and all the major issues I've seen have been due the the charger and not the car, save one isolated incident. I certainly appreciate the range my car is capable of, and that I'm able to recharge it quickly enough.
Fair! I nerd out about lots of things, but charging speeds just aren’t one of them. :)

All this talk about charging is a big who cares. Again, it's just a dick measuring contest,
The Lucid and the luxury car segment is entirely a dick measuring contest. What do you need 800hp for? What do you need nappa leather for? What do you need 20 minute charging for? These things are all extravagances. That's how you get people to pay $100k+ for a car...

The Lucid and the luxury car segment is entirely a dick measuring contest. What do you need 800hp for? What do you need nappa leather for? What do you need 20 minute charging for? These things are all extravagances. That's how you get people to pay $100k+ for a car...
Nope. Not at all.

I love my Air because of the way it drives and how I can get anywhere I want to go without stress. If it did not have the leather, I would still love the car. Plenty of cars have leather.

Yes, there are luxury features, and that costs more than other vehicles. But if the only way I made choices about vehicles was a feature list, I’d never be happy.

I don’t like the Air because it’s better than other cars and it makes me feel superior or because it goes faster or charges faster or whatever. I love the Air because I love the Air; that’s it. It’s not a contest.

If someone else doesn’t love the Air, and they love their Taycan or their F150 or their Miata or their Model S or their Bentley, I am perfectly fine with that. They’re just not *for me*

So no, not everything about this market is a contest. Do I need the 1111HP? No, nobody does. My Mazda 3 had an order of magnitude less and I loved that too.

But does it add to the experience of the Air? Absolutely.

All this talk about charging is a big who cares. Again, it's just a dick measuring contest, because in the real world, charge to 100% before you leave, make one 10-minute stop and in the DE-P, you can travel 500 miles in a day. Make another 10 minute stop and you are at 650-700 miles in a day. It's a nothing burger, especially when compared to other EVS which don't give you the same comfort or driving ability as the Air. Who cares about an Ioniq 6 getting the same range? It's cramped, not as comfortable and not as fun to drive. A Taycan? Good luck fitting more than 2 people into that car, let alone 4 adults plus luggage. A Tesla? Can you hear yourself talk about driving 300 miles?
FWIW, I think learning about the limits of what each car is capable of at its limits and what current technology as a whole is capable of really interesting, even though it usually has little impact on real world practicality or usability in general. Of course simply judging a car by its peak charging rate alone makes no sense. There is certainly a point where charging speeds matter, however. Would you be satisfied if your peak charging speed was 50-100kW with the same battery size? Of course not.

Luckily, Lucid has the right combination of charging speed, curve, and range that make it one of the best roadtrip-capable EVs. The driving dynamics, comfort, and space just make it that much better. There's a reason that I still very much love road tripping even my lower range Touring. 😍

I honestly wish you could’ve been there for the factory tour. To watch the attention to detail, the unbelievably tight tolerances, and the love that each operator puts into the car, you would come away feeling differently. I already loved my Lucid, but I came away from that tour with an entirely different appreciation for the company and the corporate culture. I am proud to be a tiny part of this venture.

I honestly wish you could’ve been there for the factory tour. To watch the attention to detail, the unbelievably tight tolerances, and the love that each operator puts into the car, you would come away feeling differently. I already loved my Lucid, but I came away from that tour with an entirely different appreciation for the company and the corporate culture. I am proud to be a tiny part of this venture.
The SavageGeese sapphire video also significantly contributes to that feeling, if you couldn't make it to that tour!

FWIW, I think learning about the limits of what each car is capable of at its limits and what current technology as a whole is capable of really interesting, even though it usually has little impact on real world practicality or usability in general. Of course simply judging a car by its peak charging rate alone makes no sense. There is certainly a point where charging speeds matter, however. Would you be satisfied if your peak charging speed was 50-100kW with the same battery size? Of course not.

Luckily, Lucid has the right combination of charging speed, curve, and range that make it one of the best roadtrip-capable EVs. The driving dynamics, comfort, and space just make it that much better. There's a reason that I still very much love road tripping even my lower range Touring. 😍
Totally agree with all of that. Just useful to distinguish it as an “academic” exercise for anyone looking on, as without that context it can appear as a problem rather than a curiosity and feeding our inner nerd :)

I think it might depend on the model but apparently the ioniq 6 RWD can do 340 miles at 70mph. That gets you ~270 miles in 20 minutes.

In 20 minutes you can get maybe 50% on a GT which would get you approximately 200 miles. A pure or Touring would only get 150 miles in 20 minutes
I mean... I drove an actual E-GMP car. I agree they have great charging curves. (Previous GV60 owner). My car would peak at 244kw. I've gotten 10-80% in 18 minutes before. But I do want to note that I own a OBD device and my battery health on my GV60 w/ 8000 miles was at 87% so it had some massive degradation. My Audi e-tron GT which only has 5900 miles is at 90%.

Not sure how Lucid's hold up but I know the other cars do take some battery health hits.

A 10-80% is 70% in total and on an Ioniq 6 that is 238 miles at best if you did the 10-80% curve in 18 minutes. Also the Lucid site mentions 200 miles in 15 minutes in best conditions on a GT so that I feel like they are pretty close. The E-GMP vehicles are faster for sure but they arent far off. It isnt slow like BMW or Mercedes or Ford etc.

I mean... I drove an actual E-GMP car. I agree they have great charging curves. (Previous GV60 owner). My car would peak at 244kw. I've gotten 10-80% in 18 minutes before. But I do want to note that I own a OBD device and my battery health on my GV60 w/ 8000 miles was at 87% so it had some massive degradation. My Audi e-tron GT which only has 5900 miles is at 90%.

Not sure how Lucid's hold up but I know the other cars do take some battery health hits.

A 10-80% is 70% in total and on an Ioniq 6 that is 238 miles at best if you did the 10-80% curve in 18 minutes. Also the Lucid site mentions 200 miles in 15 minutes in best conditions on a GT so that I feel like they are pretty close. The E-GMP vehicles are faster for sure but they arent far off. It isnt slow like BMW or Mercedes or Ford etc.
And again, as with anything: pros and cons.

My wife’s Ioniq 5 is a great car (really, we love it) but it maxes out at 48A on a level 2 charger. My Lucid charges at a full 80A. Is that necessary? If you’re me, have ADHD, and constantly forget to plug in… sometimes, yes, haha.

No car is perfect. Everyone just has to find the imperfections they’re personally happy with. :)

Not unlike dating or marriage, now that I think about it… 🤔

Interestingly, @Tesla2Lucid recently showed impressive speeds with their DE that look closer to the early charging curve tests. The DE battery cells are different from the rest of the lineup, so that may be the reason they're still seeing unchanged charging speeds.

I learn something new, every day:
"The DE battery cells are different from the rest of the lineup"
I did not know that.

I agree with the premise but... 800hp? I don't NEED 800hp! I NEED 1111hp! That's how big my member is! Or is it inverse? I forget! ;)

I learn something new, every day:
"The DE battery cells are different from the rest of the lineup"
I did not know that.
They’re the same as the GT-P and Sapphire, but yeah every other trim uses different cells. That’s why those three have 118kWh with the same number of cells as the GT, which has 112kWh.

I would rather have slower charging than lower battery range due to the aggressive charge curve as in Hyundai/Kia/Genesis. Since I also have ioniq 5, I will be able to compare over time.

This was Friday, and I was charging to 90% because I was on the road trip. So, 62% of my battery in 41 minutes. The final 10% of the charge took about 15 of those minutes. No preconditioning. The charger was a split 350 so I was getting 175 max.

View attachment 18024View attachment 18025

Using a 150 kWh stall, I went from 4% to 90% in 42 or 47 minutes.

The charging rate is very high indeed at the beginning, especially when you start down low.

Last edited:
Back