2024 Grand Touring changes and release

I would rather have slower charging than lower battery range due to the aggressive charge curve as in Hyundai/Kia/Genesis. Since I also have ioniq 5, I will be able to compare over time.
I'd love to see that. I just charged next to a black Lucid Pure and his wife pulled in with an Ioniq 6. He was talking about how much faster the Ioniq charged than his Pure, but I do question the impact of this fast charging on battery longevity in the long run.

As an aside, I started this session at 58% and never got above 60kW on my way to 80%.

I'd love to see that. I just charged next to a black Lucid Pure and his wife pulled in with an Ioniq 6. He was talking about how much faster the Ioniq charged than his Pure, but I do question the impact of this fast charging on battery longevity in the long run.

As an aside, I started this session at 58% and never got above 60kW on my way to 80%.
Ioniq 5 Battery Degradation Test After 18 Months of DC Fast Charging, Surprising Results! - YouTube

Some people have already tested it...so far I haven't seen any damning results for fast charging. This is also charging exclusively with DC Fast Charging. A normal owner may DC fast charge only occassionally. This person calculated 1.5% of degradation fyi

Ioniq 5 Battery Degradation Test After 18 Months of DC Fast Charging, Surprising Results! - YouTube

Some people have already tested it...so far I haven't seen any damning results for fast charging. This is also charging exclusively with DC Fast Charging. A normal owner may DC fast charge only occassionally. This person calculated 1.5% of degradation fyi
Interesting video. What I found surprising, and I'm not sure if this is the case with the Lucid, was that he claims the Hyundai will not charge the 12v battery once the traction battery gets below 20%. I'm a bit surprised by that since 12v battery failures are the cause of so many DOA EVs. I'd like to know if this is SOP among EVs (I personally have never heard of this) or if this is unique to Hyundai/Genesis. IMO it's not a good approach to 12v battery care.

My Genesis constantly kept my 12v charged. Would indicate via light on the dash. Never had a 12v issue fwiw. But I know some did. Not sure if Hyundai or Kia’s did this.

I also did 95% DCFC with 8k miles on the Genesis and I’ll say my degradation was like 10-12%. I’m in an e-gmp discord group and this feels pretty status quo. It’s super fast on degradation initially then slows down. Stays within warranty ranges.

I think their batteries are 70% first 2-3 years before warranty on degradation but 8 years battery coverage like everyone else.

My Audi is 5900 miles with 10% degradation and 90% of my charges through DCFC.

My Genesis constantly kept my 12v charged. Would indicate via light on the dash. Never had a 12v issue fwiw. But I know some did. Not sure if Hyundai or Kia’s did this.

I also did 95% DCFC with 8k miles on the Genesis and I’ll say my degradation was like 10-12%. I’m in an e-gmp discord group and this feels pretty status quo. It’s super fast on degradation initially then slows down. Stays within warranty ranges.

I think their batteries are 70% first 2-3 years before warranty on degradation but 8 years battery coverage like everyone else.

Your claim of 10% and the YT video OPs claim of 1.5% are quite different...are you using the same methodology to calculate?

The question is did your Genesis continue to charge the 12v battery once your main battery SOC was below 20%? That's what he contends. If you did, then that certainly contradicts what he claims. I had owned a Genesis electrified G80 and always noticed the red light blinking on the top of the dash during 12v charging. However I never had the SOC go below 20%, so I can't confirm or affirm what he claimed in this video.

Your 10% degradation is another datapoint that greatly differs from his.

The question is did your Genesis continue to charge the 12v battery once your main battery SOC was below 20%? That's what he contends. If you did, then that certainly contradicts what he claims. I had owned a Genesis electrified G80 and always noticed the red light blinking on the top of the dash during 12v charging. However I never had the SOC go below 20%, so I can't confirm or affirm what he claimed in this video.

Your 10% degradation is another datapoint that greatly differs from his.
Don't forget, the e-g80 isnt EGMP, meaning there may be some differences!

Your claim of 10% and the YT video OPs claim of 1.5% are quite different...are you using the same methodology to calculate?
The video calculates it off “usable” battery, which is not the right way to do it.

He should have calculated 72990/77400 = 5.7% degradation.

The video calculates it off “usable” battery, which is not the right way to do it.

He should have calculated 72990/77400 = 5.7% degradation.
I'm not sure about...it sounds like the OBD shows the 0-100 max for a brand new car as 73.9. The buffer of 3.5kwh is at the bottom not the top.

I'm not sure about...it sounds like the OBD shows the 0-100 max for a brand new car as 73.9. The buffer of 3.5kwh is at the bottom not the top.
It doesn't matter; cars compare degradation based on the entire battery capacity, not the usable capacity. That is how it is calculated for Lucid and everyone else.

It doesn't matter; cars compare degradation based on the entire battery capacity, not the usable capacity. That is how it is calculated for Lucid and everyone else.

How do you explain a brand new Ioniq 5 showing 100% at 73.9 in the battery BMS through the ODB2 measurement then? That brand new car comes with 4% of degradation off the bat? That’s not how this is measured

How do you explain a brand new Ioniq 5 showing 100% at 73.9 in the battery BMS through the ODB2 measurement then? That brand new car comes with 4% of degradation off the bat? That’s not how this is measured
Dude, hes right…the buffer is only software controlled. For hardware things(yes, including voltage for instance), the WHOLE battery is used, not just usable capacities. Thats just how it works! Although that Ioniq example seems fishy… maybe it was just tested with the intense charge curves at the factory?(testing is very common actually, thats why new cars have some miles on them)

Dude, hes right…the buffer is only software controlled. For hardware things(yes, including voltage for instance), the WHOLE battery is used, not just usable capacities.
Ok fine maybe I’m wrong but answer my question…if you buy a brand new Ioniq 5 and charge to 100% and the OBD2 reading shows 73.9. Are you saying that a car with 0 miles has 4% of degradation?

Ok fine maybe I’m wrong but answer my question…if you buy a brand new Ioniq 5 and charge to 100% and the OBD2 reading shows 73.9. Are you saying that a car with 0 miles has 4% of degradation?
I cant explain that, honestly. That seems very off… was the battery tested before being delivered to the dealer?

A heat pump moves hot air instead of heating it with resistance. My HVAC systems are heat pumps as is my hot water heater. That makes them way more efficient than using resistance heat. So the big advantage is that you are not using electrons to make heat, just a few to move it. Therefore a heat pump in an EV will increase range.
Air is full of electrons, not to mention protons and neutrons. I'm pretty sure that if you try to send air through with all the electrons removed from the atoms, you'd be breaking some laws.

I cant explain that, honestly. That seems very off… was the battery tested before being delivered to the dealer?
Yea I don’t know either. Ah well. I’m not really versed in this stuff enough to understand, just that remaining battery reports a max of 73.9 in the BMS reading for a 0 mile car.

So whatever…btw has anyone stuck an obd2 dongle in a lucid with 10k + miles? How does the lucid report remaining battery?

Yea I don’t know either. Ah well. I’m not really versed in this stuff enough to understand, just that remaining battery reports a max of 73.9 in the BMS reading for a 0 mile car.

So whatever…btw has anyone stuck an obd2 dongle in a lucid with 10k + miles? How does the lucid report remaining battery?

Does the Lucid even HAVE an obd port? I thought it was just ethernet that only technicians could use..

(never mind, its federally mandated. dont think anybodys seen it or used it..)

Does the Lucid even HAVE an obd port? I thought it was just ethernet that only technicians could use..

(never mind, its federally mandated. dont think anybodys seen it or used it..)
I’m kind of surprised how not nerdy lucid owners are. There’s like half a million posts just on obd2 battery stats for the Ioniq specifically on their forums and Reddit and YouTube videos. There’s barely any dragy or dyno results or track/autocross comparisons in the Lucid’s performance section. Or efforts to maximize performance with preconditioning. Or even basic charging results for tourings and grand tourings. Maybe there’s just not enough owners for there to be all the useless information you find in other forums lol

Last edited:
Back