Wind noise

Possibly, but I think most people would still be able to differentiate that noise from true wind noise coming from the exterior of the car, like the driver's side mirror. But who knows?
Oh, I was only speaking to the noise that changes depending on recirc. The external wind noise might require you to drive another car alongside the car with the wind noise and place the ribbons around the noise area at 70mph. Might be too much of a challenge to do that while keeping HA happy as you can only be distracted for what, 20 seconds? I mean I'm sure this is possible in the movies ...

Oh, I was only speaking to the noise that changes depending on recirc. The external wind noise might require you to drive another car alongside the car with the wind noise and place the ribbons around the noise area at 70mph. Might be too much of a challenge to do that while keeping HA happy as you can only be distracted for what, 20 seconds? I mean I'm sure this is possible in the movies ...
The other option is to bring along a passenger and have them observe. But then you need someone willing to take a nice, leisurely ride in an Air. Might be a tough sell.

So you’re saying it’s not technically ’wind noise’ but rather HVAC noise. I can’t see how true wind noise (let’s say from the driver’s side mirror) would be impacted by the HVAC’s recirculate vs fresh air modes.
Not at all. My wind noise was due to air entering the cabin around the window seals. My theory is that when flow thru air is selected, the cabin is slightly pressurized by outside air entering thru the hvac system, thus preventing some of the air from entering around the window seal. As I drove in the car and turned air recirculate on/off, I could feel the amount of air entering the cabin change with each on/off action.

So Scottsdale service center worked on my front window seals yesterday, Feb 1st. The result was a substantial reduction in air entering the cabin from around both front window seals. I do have a question for the community, when flow-thru ventilation is selected, how and where does the air exit the cabin?

So Scottsdale service center worked on my front window seals yesterday, Feb 1st. The result was a substantial reduction in air entering the cabin from around both front window seals. I do have a question for the community, when flow-thru ventilation is selected, how and where does the air exit the cabin?

Good question. I’m going to ask our local mobile tech when he visits me next week. I assumed the air would pass through the grilles on the rear parcel shelf and then vented into the boot. But I just went downstairs and looked. It doesn’t look like it works that way.

Not at all. My wind noise was due to air entering the cabin around the window seals. My theory is that when flow thru air is selected, the cabin is slightly pressurized by outside air entering thru the hvac system, thus preventing some of the air from entering around the window seal. As I drove in the car and turned air recirculate on/off, I could feel the amount of air entering the cabin change with each on/off action.
That is odd. I can't think of a car I've driven where I noticed that kind of change with the selection of fresh vs recirculated air. That's a head scratcher.

Is this the wind noise some people are talking about? I don’t remember experiencing this level of wind noise when I first took delivery, but maybe I’m just imagining that the car was quieter than it really is. The wind noise seems to be coming from my driver’s left window or left door mirror area. I really can’t tell. Also I keep opening and closing the window in the hope that the glass would re-seat itself within the rubber seals. No change.

Listen for a somewhat high pitched “wooooshhh” sound. I’m travelling on a freeway at about 80mph:

Attachments

• IMG_1462.MOV
    15.7 MB
  • IMG_1463.MOV
    16 MB
Is this the wind noise some people are talking about? I don’t remember experiencing this level of wind noise when I first took delivery, but maybe I’m just imagining that the car was quieter than it really is. The wind noise seems to be coming from my driver’s left window or left door mirror area. I really can’t tell. Also I keep opening and closing the window in the hope that the glass would re-seat itself within the rubber seals. No change.

Listen for a somewhat high pitched “wooooshhh” sound. I’m travelling on a freeway at about 80mph:
I had wind noise from the upper front edge of the driver’s window. I figured it was normal until I was recently a passenger in the car and didn’t notice the noise on that side. I believe the seal shrinks a bit in the colder weather we’ve been having. Frank reset the window upper torque for me and it seems to have disappeared. The procedure was simple, although it did require both of us. I had the extremely difficult job of operating the window switch while Frank did the rest. With the door open, we lowered the window about halfway and then, once Frank was ready, raised it fully and continued to hold the window switch in the up position while Frank simultaneously placed his hands on the inside and outside of the glass and firmly pushed it upward for about five seconds even after it was fully closed. Voila! The idea was to retrain the window that its closed position is slightly higher. My wind noise has not returned.

After about a thousand wonderful problem free miles I started getting some wind noise from the drivers door. you hear it as low as 30 mph and it seems to be getting worse.
An inspection shows the window no longer flush but protruding out a bit. My door skins line up perfectly but the top of the door seems to have moved up to almost to touch the roof moulding, which was not the case before. Service looked, was baffled, and will take it in to the shop to realign everything in a few weeks. But I was wondering if anyone had anything similar they had to deal with.
Yes, my SA said the same thing. It appears to have somehow misaligned. They will adjust what they think is the issue and we will see.

My issues were exactly like yours, starting at around 30mph and getting more significant as speed increased.

I had wind noise from the upper front edge of the driver’s window. I figured it was normal until I was recently a passenger in the car and didn’t notice the noise on that side. I believe the seal shrinks a bit in the colder weather we’ve been having. Frank reset the window upper torque for me and it seems to have disappeared. The procedure wassimple, although it did require both of us. I had the extremely difficult job of operating the window switch while Frank did the rest. With the door open, we lowered the window about halfway and then, once Frank was ready, raised it fully and continued to hold the window switch in the up position while Frank simultaneously placed his hands on the inside and outside of the glass and firmly pushed it upward for about five seconds even after it was fully closed. Voila! The idea was to retrain the window that its closed position is slightly higher. My wind noise has not returned.
Oooh I've got try this! Thanks.

I had wind noise from the upper front edge of the driver’s window. I figured it was normal until I was recently a passenger in the car and didn’t notice the noise on that side. I believe the seal shrinks a bit in the colder weather we’ve been having. Frank reset the window upper torque for me and it seems to have disappeared. The procedure wassimple, although it did require both of us. I had the extremely difficult job of operating the window switch while Frank did the rest. With the door open, we lowered the window about halfway and then, once Frank was ready, raised it fully and continued to hold the window switch in the up position while Frank simultaneously placed his hands on the inside and outside of the glass and firmly pushed it upward for about five seconds even after it was fully closed. Voila! The idea was to retrain the window that its closed position is slightly higher. My wind noise has not returned.
Wow! Another Bobby-fix. Thanks very much. Now I’ve just got to get my 91-year-old dad to work the window switch, and I get to play “Frank”.

By the way, @Bobby, your suggestion to unpair/pair my car-to-phone Bluetooth link worked like a charm. My phone pairs up with my car every time I get in now. Thanks again!

I'm gonna have to try this to see if it helps with my wind noise. Its been like this since I got the car and it was checked out. They told me the noise level was within spec. Its kind of more than I'm used to though. But it doesn't have the same noise coming from the passenger side though, so I think something is just either not aligned correctly or there's a gap somewhere.

I'm gonna have to try this to see if it helps with my wind noise. Its been like this since I got the car and it was checked out. They told me the noise level was within spec. Its kind of more than I'm used to though. But it doesn't have the same noise coming from the passenger side though, so I think something is just either not aligned correctly or there's a gap somewhere.

With the help of my dad, I got most of the wind noise eliminated. Really made a difference! Like you, never any wind noise on the passenger side. I discovered that while riding shotgun the other day.

With the help of my dad, I got most of the wind noise eliminated. Really made a difference! Like you, never any wind noise on the passenger side. I discovered that while riding shotgun the other day.
What did you do to mitigate the wind noise?

Not having read the whole thread I want to add that wheels can generate a lot of noise if they are very open and/or with aggressive offset. But if they are OE it’s probably the seal

Interesting thread. I have had no wind noise issues but have noticed that, since the Air's cabin is so naturally quiet, any sound that does get in seems loud. I would like to try a dB meter in the car (or just wait for Bjorn Nyland's upcoming reviews). I know my 21" wheels make more noise than the 19s, but not enough to bother me.
A slightly open window will create quite a bit of noise. It's great that in a software controlled car adjustments can be made without tools and taking things apart. Great tip.

My AT used be so quite. Few weeks ago while driving in the neighborhood heard a pluck sound. Since then at speeds higher then 60 hearing wind noise in the car and feeling pressure in the ears. Any one noticed this?

I am on my second trip back to the dealer for wind noise. I discovered what my issue was so you guys may be having a similar situation, there is a vertical seal between the glass and the drivers mirror. It is supposed to be on the outside of the glass, not the inside (compare against the passenger side). Everything had been fine with my car, drove to work, left for an errand and heard this whooshing. Quickly diagnosed it, told the dealer what needed to be replaced. They fixed it, got the car back, and 3 months later, the seal had moved to the inside of the window again. Its back getting a new one right now.

Back