Wind noise

skywaterbanjo

Verified Owner
I've made a couple of road trips to California since I received my car in early November. I've only driven it, not been the passenger. It seems to me that there is a rather significant level of wind noise coming from the driver side mirror. Does anyone else think so?

Never even noticed that. Have service check your seals when they figure out your other issue.

Yes I have it too.

The car is too damned quiet!

Rolls Royce so succeeded in suppressing interior noise that they had to engineer more noise back into the cabin as occupants found the sense of motion in the absence of ambient noise too disconcerting.

Commercial airframe manufacturers don't dial in as much cabin noise suppression as they can as the frame creaks and groans that the silence would unmask are too unsettling to most passengers.

Luxury EVs have such quiet drivetrains that the wind and tire noise that is partially masked by ICE cars assume a new aural prominence. It's may not a good idea to go too far with suppressing such noise further than Lucid already does.

Rolls Royce so succeeded in suppressing interior noise that they had to engineer more noise back into the cabin as occupants found the sense of motion in the absence of ambient noise too disconcerting.

Commercial airframe manufacturers don't dial in as much cabin noise suppression as they can as the frame creaks and groans that the silence would unmask are too unsettling to most passengers.

Luxury EVs have such quiet drivetrains that the wind and tire noise that is partially masked by ICE cars assume a new aural prominence. It's may not a good idea to go too far with suppressing such noise further than Lucid already does.
The Lincoln Navigator, and other cars I am sure, have active noise cancellation that works very well, unless the sun roof is open! :)

The Lincoln Navigator, and other cars I am sure, have active noise cancellation that works very well, unless the sun roof is open! :)

Our Model S Plaid had its active noise cancellation activated through an OTA update a couple of months after we took delivery. We could tell absolutely no difference.

Our 2011 and 2018 Honda Odysseys had/have narrow-band active noise cancellation that is meant to deal with the noise created by the cylinder deactivation for fuel economy. As we can't hear cylinder deactivation when it kicks in, I assume the noise cancellation works well enough.

I'm aware of no cars that have full-spectrum active noise cancellation which is needed to deal with the widely differing frequency ranges between things such as tire noise and wind noise. Lucid experimented with it but found it didn't do much in a car environment, as getting its full effect depends on keeping the ear precisely located in relation to the speaker(s) generating the noise cancellation signal. This is why the most effective noise cancellation systems work best with headphones but, as my experience with noise-canceling headphones on airplanes taught me, even that is only moderately effective.

Our Model S Plaid had its active noise cancellation activated through an OTA update a couple of months after we took delivery. We could tell absolutely no difference.

Our 2011 and 2018 Honda Odysseys had/have narrow-band active noise cancellation that is meant to deal with the noise created by the cylinder deactivation for fuel economy. As we can't hear cylinder deactivation when it kicks in, I assume the noise cancellation works well enough.

I'm aware of no cars that have full-spectrum active noise cancellation which is needed to deal with the widely differing frequency ranges between things such as tire noise and wind noise. Lucid experimented with it but found it didn't do much in a car environment, as getting its full effect depends on keeping the ear precisely located in relation to the speaker(s) generating the noise cancellation signal. This is why the most effective noise cancellation systems work best with headphones but, as my experience with noise-canceling headphones on airplanes taught me, even that is only moderately effective.
All I know is that my Navigator is quieter than my Lucid. There could be a number of factors but I can tell when the noise cancellation is not working like when the sun roof is open it is trying to correct for the wind noise and can't.

FWIW, the demo GT that we test drove was certainly a bit noisier than the EQS.
The EQS has a lot less motor whine.

Glass is a very hard acoustic reflector. I suspect the expanse of the glass canopy has something to do with Lucid's interior noise.

Besides the Air, we have a Model S Plaid -- roughly the same size as the Air, riding on 21" tires like our Air, with a full glass roof like the Air, but with active noise cancellation and acoustic glass, neither of which the Air has. The Air's interior is notably quieter than Plaid's (and also quieter than our Honda Odyssey Elite, for that matter, which has part-spectrum active noise cancellation and acoustic glass.)

The pure, with its single motor in the RWD configuration together and the metal roof with headliner, will likely be quieter.

the noise I'm referring to is definitely not motor whine. I can't hear that at all on the highway. Like previously stated, it's only at highway speeds and is definitely in the vicinity of the driver side mirror. Thanks for the comments.

I've made a couple of road trips to California since I received my car in early November. I've only driven it, not been the passenger. It seems to me that there is a rather significant level of wind noise coming from the driver side mirror. Does anyone else think so?
I've had the same experience as a driver -- I hear quite a lot of wind noise from what seems like the driver side mirror. Agree that it's definitely not motor whine or even tire noise.

After about a thousand wonderful problem free miles I started getting some wind noise from the drivers door. you hear it as low as 30 mph and it seems to be getting worse.
An inspection shows the window no longer flush but protruding out a bit. My door skins line up perfectly but the top of the door seems to have moved up to almost to touch the roof moulding, which was not the case before. Service looked, was baffled, and will take it in to the shop to realign everything in a few weeks. But I was wondering if anyone had anything similar they had to deal with.

I had the same issue with my rear passenger door. Comes and goes but at worst is a 1/4"gap at the window and you can feel air coming out. Close door, close door, close door, push at the top ~fixes it so far.

I’ve got it on the drivers door also. Comes and goes but hasn’t happened for a while actually

After about a thousand wonderful problem free miles I started getting some wind noise from the drivers door. you hear it as low as 30 mph and it seems to be getting worse.
An inspection shows the window no longer flush but protruding out a bit. My door skins line up perfectly but the top of the door seems to have moved up to almost to touch the roof moulding, which was not the case before. Service looked, was baffled, and will take it in to the shop to realign everything in a few weeks. But I was wondering if anyone had anything similar they had to deal with.
Same, it's sometimes. I notice a bit of wind noise, and sometimes even feel some air. Much easier to distinguish it when you're in super cold temperatures

Noticed this yesterday, as well, particularly on the highway. Could actually feel the air about head height, confirmed when I put my left hand between my head and the door window. If I held a burning incense stick in that space, the air movement would be very apparent. Note the air vents where closed.

Back