• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Wind noise

I still have cold air leaking in around 3 of the 4 window seals when it is cold. Not much noise, but cold air. Lucid is sending a tech to my house on January 10th. Will let you all know the outcome.

cold weather, cold air coming in around front side windows! They want to take it into the shop. What is likely happening, you should check your windows. See the attached picture. The corner piece of window seal seems to be a denser foam than the horizontal piece. You can feel it with your thumb. (Red circle)When cold, the denser piece might be getting more denser, thus allowing a gap where the two pieces of foam are fused. They want to replace the entire window seal, but requires ADAS sensor recalibration. So, needs to be done in Scottsdale. Cause and fix needs to be verified by Lucid. But I think we have the smoking gun. I feel an air leak around the window (verified by the Tech) at the point of the red circle. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• FEC286C1-A76F-4842-B3BD-C059DAB48A3B.jpeg
    FEC286C1-A76F-4842-B3BD-C059DAB48A3B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 213
cold weather, cold air coming in around front side windows! They want to take it into the shop. What is likely happening, you should check your windows. See the attached picture. The corner piece of window seal seems to be a denser foam than the horizontal piece. You can feel it with your thumb. (Red circle)When cold, the denser piece might be getting more denser, thus allowing a gap where the two pieces of foam are fused. They want to replace the entire window seal, but requires ADAS sensor recalibration. So, needs to be done in Scottsdale. Cause and fix needs to be verified by Lucid. But I think we have the smoking gun. I feel an air leak around the window (verified by the Tech) at the point of the red circle. Stay tuned!
This is EXACTLY where I could feel the cold air coming into my car. It was very obvious when it was 12 degrees outside on highway driving. In fact the upper part of the cabin was somewhat cold for the entire drive. I'll check the gasket. Thank you for posting.

This is EXACTLY where I could feel the cold air coming into my car. It was very obvious when it was 12 degrees outside on highway driving. In fact the upper part of the cabin was somewhat cold for the entire drive. I'll check the gasket. Thank you for posting.
Please DM me with you findings.

Just picked up car from service and they replaced rear window seals it help but I agree a lot of noise coming from front windows sounds like the mirror concept maybe correct but there also seems to be a leak maybe into the door itself from the mirror but nosiy like hell above 60 for sure.

After getting my car, I also noticed that the cabin would get cold extremely quickly after I turn off the heating. I also have a crap ton of wind noise.

After getting my car, I also noticed that the cabin would get cold extremely quickly after I turn off the heating. I also have a crap ton of wind
One more thing. If you push on the molding it feels tight.
Quick update. John was out yesterday and replaced the strip at the top of the hood. No more noise. If any of you in Central Florida, request John. A super tech that really cares about the customer.

The on going story of my wind noise and cold air leak. I have an appointment in Scottsdale on February 1st to have this checked. Here is how my latest testing went.

Here is a real world test I did this past weekend. I drove round trip to Los Angeles from my home in Prescott Arizona. It was 18°F in Prescott and 72°F in LA. During the early part of my drive, both front windows had cold air coming in from the upper rear portion of the window. We also heard wind noise.

Driving west across the AZ/CA desert it was around 50°F and the sun was hitting the driver’s window, but never the passenger window. During this time, there was no air coming in, nor wind noise, on the driver’s side, but there was from the passenger’s side.

When we got into the LA basin and the temperatures rose into the 70s, all air and wind noise stopped from both windows.

When we drove back to Prescott, it was all repeated. Except now crossing the desert the passenger’s window was in the sun and was well sealed. The driver’s window never saw the sun and had air coming in and wind noise. When we got back to cold temperatures, both sides had air coming in and wind noise.

So, there appears to me that at cold temperatures, there is a materials issue with the window seals. This may be compounded by a poor fusing of 2 pieces of window seal at the point of the leak.

The on going story of my wind noise and cold air leak. I have an appointment in Scottsdale on February 1st to have this checked. Here is how my latest testing went.

Here is a real world test I did this past weekend. I drove round trip to Los Angeles from my home in Prescott Arizona. It was 18°F in Prescott and 72°F in LA. During the early part of my drive, both front windows had cold air coming in from the upper rear portion of the window. We also heard wind noise.

Driving west across the AZ/CA desert it was around 50°F and the sun was hitting the driver’s window, but never the passenger window. During this time, there was no air coming in, nor wind noise, on the driver’s side, but there was from the passenger’s side.

When we got into the LA basin and the temperatures rose into the 70s, all air and wind noise stopped from both windows.

When we drove back to Prescott, it was all repeated. Except now crossing the desert the passenger’s window was in the sun and was well sealed. The driver’s window never saw the sun and had air coming in and wind noise. When we got back to cold temperatures, both sides had air coming in and wind noise.

So, there appears to me that at cold temperatures, there is a materials issue with the window seals. This may be compounded by a poor fusing of 2 pieces of window seal at the point of the leak.
Interesting test. I am not a fan of those window seals and I feel that the Lucid is very noisy and I am hard of hearing.
I am also not a fan of that pesky motor noise either.
Wonder what Lucid can do to fix it. For me the road noise is worse from the triangular windows in the back. Perhaps you can test them as well before your appointment.
When I had them test my back windows they told me working as designed 😂😂😂. It’s their #1 answer for most everything. Hopefully they can work on the design then.

Quick update. John was out yesterday and replaced the strip at the top of the hood. No more noise. If any of you in Central Florida, request John. A super tech that really cares about the customer.
Can you provide more description of the strip that was replaced? What was different in the new strip? I also hear wind noise above 60 MPH but I assumed it’s just poor sound insulation.

Okay the first picture try to show how close to the mirror. Second picture, you can see a bit of light between the strip and the hood. That is the issue. John said the strip can not be tightened, must be replaced.
Can you still see the light after replacing the strip? My strip is not tight either and I can see light. Not sure if that’s how it’s designed so it would be good to know what it looks like after you replaced the strip.

Get ur tech to look at it. Mine is coming over Ina few days to fix ir

I've made a couple of road trips to California since I received my car in early November. I've only driven it, not been the passenger. It seems to me that there is a rather significant level of wind noise coming from the driver side mirror. Does anyone else think so?
My wife had complained about that. I did have it checked when I had a service call and was told that there was a slight misalignment with the rubber seal around the front of the door, near the mirror. It appears to have been resolved.

the noise I'm referring to is definitely not motor whine. I can't hear that at all on the highway. Like previously stated, it's only at highway speeds and is definitely in the vicinity of the driver side mirror. Thanks for the comments.
So, my Air was quiet as a mouse. Then one day, I got in and drove and I was getting this wind noise at the drivers side mirror. What I found was the upon window rollup, the outside rubber seal had gotten caught below the door line and pushed inside the window. Take a look at the seals on the passenger side and the driver side and see if they are positioned differently. Had mine replaced.

I just checked that and it appears to be the same on both sides. One thing I did notice is the frunk lid is a bit out of alignment. You can see the difference in the gaps between the driver's side and passenger's side. I'll get it checked next time I take it to the service center. I'm also going to ask to drive a demo to see if it happens on that car as well. Driving me crazy. First photo is passenger, second driver.
IMG_0213.jpeg
IMG_0214.jpeg
IMG_0213.jpegIMG_0214.jpeg

Update: The amount of air blowing into the car and wind noise is a function of is the car in the recirculating air mode, or the flow thru air mode. Much reduced in flow thru air mode. Presently in Scottsdale getting looked at by the techs.

Update: The amount of air blowing into the car and wind noise is a function of is the car in the recirculating air mode, or the flow thru air mode. Much reduced in flow thru air mode. Presently in Scottsdale getting looked at by the techs.
So you’re saying it’s not technically ’wind noise’ but rather HVAC noise. I can’t see how true wind noise (let’s say from the driver’s side mirror) would be impacted by the HVAC’s recirculate vs fresh air modes.

So you’re saying it’s not technically ’wind noise’ but rather HVAC noise. I can’t see how true wind noise (let’s say from the driver’s side mirror) would be impacted by the HVAC’s recirculate vs fresh air modes.
Here's a shot in the dark. Difference between recirc and outside air flow is a change in position in a damper valve, closing the damper to the outside forced air flow when recirc is selected. Suppose the damper doesn't fully close, either mechanical, seal, or debris in seal area. You'd then hear a wind noise with the damper nearly but not fully closed.

Here's a shot in the dark. Difference between recirc and outside air flow is a change in position in a damper valve, closing the damper to the outside forced air flow when recirc is selected. Suppose the damper doesn't fully close, either mechanical, seal, or debris in seal area. You'd then hear a wind noise with the damper nearly but not fully closed.
Possibly, but I think most people would still be able to differentiate that noise from true wind noise coming from the exterior of the car, like the driver's side mirror. But who knows?

Back