What's the License Plate Screw Size?

davidliu

Verified Owner
Cars
Stellar White Air GT
For my pre-owned Air, the dealership couldn't care to put correct size screws for the license plate. They just threw two mismatch screws on it, and one of them can only screw half way in. I'm going to buy a few screws from HomeDepot and wondering what is the size.

For my pre-owned Air, the dealership couldn't care to put correct size screws for the license plate. They just threw two mismatch screws on it, and one of them can only screw half way in. I'm going to buy a few screws from HomeDepot and wondering what is the size.
I’m not sure, but you can stop by a Lucid service center and they’ll swap out the license plate frame for you; the original frames (not sure which you have) had issues, but they can just handle it.

Otherwise I’d contact service and find out.

10-32 is the thread size. I think Lucid gave me 1/4" for the front and 3/8" for the back, neither which were long enough for mounting the metal plates. The local ACE had some black plated ones in 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4" lengths for 35-60 cents each.

10-32 is the thread size. I think Lucid gave me 1/4" for the front and 3/8" for the back, neither which were long enough for mounting the metal plates. The local ACE had some black plated ones in 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4" lengths for 35-60 cents each.
I should this is for a Dec '22 production Touring, which seems to not have any metal inserts at all - it's just self tapping plastic which is why they strip so easily. I'm wondering if a coarser thread might be a better idea, like 10-24.

10-32 is fine thread, .190" / 4.826mm nominal diameter. (32 threads per inch)
10-24 is the coarse thread option (same diameter, 24 threads per inch)

If you have stripped your holes, perhaps the following could work:

M5-0.8 would be a hair (4%) larger diameter .197" / 5.0mm with similar 31.75 threads per inch . I don't think there's a coarser thread option for M5

12-24 would be slightly more diameter increase (13.7%) 0.216" / 5.484mm with 28 (fine) and 24 (coarse) threads per inch options

I should this is for a Dec '22 production Touring, which seems to not have any metal inserts at all - it's just self tapping plastic which is why they strip so easily. I'm wondering if a coarser thread might be a better idea, like 10-24.
Update, when I had the chance to try out the longer 10-32 screws, it became obvious that my perception of stripping was correct, but only for the first 2-3 threads because that's all the lucid-supplied 1/4" bolts were grabbing. When I used the longer screws, a very positive engagement was found and I have no doubt that the license plate will stay on until Iremove it.

For attaching a standard plate with the Lucid license plate frame and the supplied "black buttons", the 1/2" long screw was the perfect fit (even in the top right corner where my metal registration tab is essentially a second plate).

For the front plate holder with just a license plate, (no frame, no buttons), it looks like the 3/8"long screw will be the right length.

Just remember that since the 10-32 screws are such a fine pitch compared to traditional license plate screws, it'll probably feel like it takes forever to tighten.... Just be patient and keep turning, though I don't suggest too tight.

Update, when I had the chance to try out the longer 10-32 screws, it became obvious that my perception of stripping was correct, but only for the first 2-3 threads because that's all the lucid-supplied 1/4" bolts were grabbing. When I used the longer screws, a very positive engagement was found and I have no doubt that the license plate will stay on until Iremove it.

For attaching a standard plate with the Lucid license plate frame and the supplied "black buttons", the 1/2" long screw was the perfect fit (even in the top right corner where my metal registration tab is essentially a second plate).

For the front plate holder with just a license plate, (no frame, no buttons), it looks like the 3/8"long screw will be the right length.

Just remember that since the 10-32 screws are such a fine pitch compared to traditional license plate screws, it'll probably feel like it takes forever to tighten.... Just be patient and keep turning, though I don't suggest too tight.
Thanks for this info! I used your experience to get the correct 10-32 1/2" screws and successfully attached my license plate holder (with the plastic covers). I echo the above sentiments -- not sure why they supplied 1/4" screws.

Great info. Mine had two longer screws and two so short they barely held the frame in place. I'll get the correct ones next time I'm at Home Depot.

Back